Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:52 AM

830 posts, read 744,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
What about aurora ?

How come bigger developments haven't been built out by the airport ?
Green Valley Ranch is basically Aurora, but Denver county. It's newer than parts of Aurora nearby, and does have a Kind Soopers and other amenities.

If you're looking at Aurora, I'd go to an apartment closer to Airport and further from 225 for commute. I think most of Green Valley Ranch will be closer though and the amenities are similar.

DIA is huge and takes up lots of space, you can't get much closer than GVR or Airport Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 11:03 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
If you look at a map you'll see what an oddity Green Valley Ranch is. Denver extended its metro area to the airport through a long corridor (called Gateway, right, natives?) and GVR is sort of in that extension, all by itself.

All in all, GVR is not one of the better areas to live, but it has good areas (as described above) and if you want reasonable rent, basic stuff like grocery stores and gyms and gas stations and a Target, and really quick access to DIA, it's hard to beat... as a starting point. I don't think I'd advise anyone to buy there until they were more familiar with the Denver area, but from everything you've said, it would be a great place for a 6 month lease. A little longer drive to nightlife and more fun than movies and a corner bar, but those areas are more expensive and a lot further from DIA.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:16 PM

373 posts, read 348,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
If you look at a map you'll see what an oddity Green Valley Ranch is. Denver extended its metro area to the airport through a long corridor (called Gateway, right, natives?) and GVR is sort of in that extension, all by itself.

All in all, GVR is not one of the better areas to live, but it has good areas (as described above) and if you want reasonable rent, basic stuff like grocery stores and gyms and gas stations and a Target, and really quick access to DIA, it's hard to beat... as a starting point. I don't think I'd advise anyone to buy there until they were more familiar with the Denver area, but from everything you've said, it would be a great place for a 6 month lease. A little longer drive to nightlife and more fun than movies and a corner bar, but those areas are more expensive and a lot further from DIA.
Thank you for the input . I could probably stretch the budget more and be closer to what makes Denver appealing but I think I'll play it safe in a more affordable area close to my job learn the area and roads and give my girlfriend time to secure a job . As opposed to going over my budget to live near downtown and not afford it .

Just out of curiosity , what kind of job options would Denver offer for a four year communication major ?

Old 01-27-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the input.
Just to be clear, I'm a newcomer myself, but I went through a very intense housing hunt in August and managed to make a very good choice - between a lot of input right here and some first-rate agent guidance. My view of GVR is shaped by looking at it pretty hard as a first choice, then deciding it was not the place to buy or live if I wanted better access to the Denver metro area, and then driving by/through it a number of times in the past few months.

I don't think you can do better as a first toehold, especially renting and needing close access to DIA. But six months will give you plenty of time to explore and find a better fit.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity , what kind of job options would Denver offer for a four year communication major ?
If you're under 35, pretty good. The economy is strong and there are many companies that use that staff segment.

OTOH, as someone in that general field for whom 35 is in the rear view mirror... major suckage. It may be a young-hire field here even more than in most places.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:08 PM

373 posts, read 348,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Just to be clear, I'm a newcomer myself, but I went through a very intense housing hunt in August and managed to make a very good choice - between a lot of input right here and some first-rate agent guidance. My view of GVR is shaped by looking at it pretty hard as a first choice, then deciding it was not the place to buy or live if I wanted better access to the Denver metro area, and then driving by/through it a number of times in the past few months.

I don't think you can do better as a first toehold, especially renting and needing close access to DIA. But six months will give you plenty of time to explore and find a better fit.

If you're under 35, pretty good. The economy is strong and there are many companies that use that staff segment.

OTOH, as someone in that general field for whom 35 is in the rear view mirror... major suckage. It may be a young-hire field here even more than in most places.

She is 22 and fresh out of college so no worries there

Any
Idea of
Companies to try that are big there or would need that type of workforce ?

I take it you can't find anything remotely close to downtown for under 1500?

I've never interviewed out of town so idk how this all works , will places hire someone from New York through resume and phone interviews or would
You need to fly out there

Old 01-27-2018, 04:55 PM

For work, I'd look at recruiters strong in the Denver area and start contacting them and setting up placement relationships.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:36 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
What about aurora ?

How come bigger developments haven't been built out by the airport ?
One of the big reasons DIA was built to replace Stapleton was the noise complaints & lawsuits of nearby residents. (Not to mention everybody that made money on the land and construction )

AFAIK the land closer in to DIA is to be open space or industrial.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:05 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Stapleton? Got some nice developments

Old 01-28-2018, 04:07 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
One of the big reasons DIA was built to replace Stapleton was the noise complaints & lawsuits of nearby residents. (Not to mention everybody that made money on the land and construction )

AFAIK the land closer in to DIA is to be open space or industrial.
Amongst hundreds of conspiracy theories. United outgrew Stapleton - check the layout of the SLC airport. Very similar to old DEN.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Amongst hundreds of conspiracy theories. United outgrew Stapleton...
Besides, they had that great new baggage handling system to install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver