Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM

97 posts, read 383,312 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are twenty years old and are planning on moving to Denver this year. (It wasn't our first choice: Boulder is far too expensive and we are thinking of leaving our car behind in order to save for a new car. Also, due to the lack of jobs in Fort Collins, which was our second choice, we figured we'd play it safe and move to the city instead).

My boyfriend is taking an internship as a Cameraman/Editing after he finishes school out here in Albany, New York. I am looking for a job as a Teacher's Assistant. We have found that the demand for both these jobs is bigger in Denver, where as, in Fort Collins there was absolutely no demand. (From my research.) Are there any little towns very close to Denver that we could live in and still have transportation to the city? I don't want to live directly IN the city, but I am 100% willing to make sacrifices!

We would like a studio or one bedroom and are looking to spend less than $700/mth on rent before utilities. A few questions: Does the LightRail ran all night or not? Where in Denver do you suggest a safe, fun, "hip" place for two college students to live? Are there good views from Apartments? We also love being active and like the outdoors! Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to help us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 24,107 times
Hello,
Keep your car and look towards the west! I'm in the Conifer area. Golden is great, conifer, Evergreen, Bailey, etc. You are very close to commuting to Denver (I do it daily) but you live in a wonderful, beautiful place. Hiking, bicycling, etc out your front door. If you want the more "wild" bar scene life then live closer to Denver. My choice is that you can always go to Denver but live in the beauty of the mountains. Find a fun small cabin to live in! Rent is a bit more than you indicated but it's still LESS than it was a few years ago. Get the local papers or look online for the High Timber Times and Canyon Courier.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
I'd look around the University of Denver. There would be lots of students around there, and it's a nice area that's neither suburban nor urban. It's also convenient to light rail, and you should find a studio or 1br there in your range.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello99 View Post
Hello,
Keep your car and look towards the west! I'm in the Conifer area. Golden is great, conifer, Evergreen, Bailey, etc. You are very close to commuting to Denver (I do it daily) but you live in a wonderful, beautiful place. Hiking, bicycling, etc out your front door. If you want the more "wild" bar scene life then live closer to Denver. My choice is that you can always go to Denver but live in the beauty of the mountains. Find a fun small cabin to live in! Rent is a bit more than you indicated but it's still LESS than it was a few years ago. Get the local papers or look online for the High Timber Times and Canyon Courier.
I don't know - Evergreen seems like a pretty far commute into central Denver, and gas isn't getting cheaper. Plus you have to consider the additional snow up there. I guess what it really comes down to is price and then the environment you prefer. It's beautiful in the mountains, but colder, snowier, and more car-dependent.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Where will your boyfriend's internship be? That may help you narrow down the area. I think you could find something affordable in the Sloan's Lake area as well, and also near Regis U., both on the west side. A teacher's assistant may spend a large portion of her salary on gas if living in Evergreen.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:43 AM

46 posts, read 207,226 times
if 700 dollars is your range you can get a pretty decent one bedroom. Decent one bedrooms range from 550-750 but you can find some as cheap as 400. But you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver