Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times

Advertisements

[I have been meaning to post this for a while, since being bitten badly by this semi-scam; was reminded of it after a trip out to DIA today. I suggest it's worth making a sticky for this forum, or maybe adding to the "Things we have to tell newcomers" post. Deleting this intro would be appropriate in that event...]

Hello, Visitors. If you rent a car in the Denver area, especially from the airport, be aware that there's a nasty little trap in local conditions waiting for you. It's called E470, the local express highway.

E470 loops around the eastern rim of the Denver area and is very convenient to get from the south to the north, into downtown Denver, and to the airport. Your GPS will direct you to it at every opportunity.

The tolls are modest, especially for a few visiting days, but the trap here is that they are automatic, billed to the registration address of each vehicle's license plate. There is no manual option to pay tolls. If you drive on E470, your license plate will be noted and a bill sent.

If you are driving a rental car, the bills will be sent to the rental company. If you are savvy and the rental agent explains every option, one of them will be "prepaid tolls" at a rather inflated figure ($49.95 at Dollar, when I rented). It seems like another frivolous add-on and far too many drivers probably skip it.

If you do not sign up for "prepaid tools" or whatever the agency calls them, and you drive on E470, you will get a bill about a month later for the tolls... and a stiff "administrative fee." In my case, with Dollar in August 2017, I had five tolls totalling $11 or $12... with a $15 service charge on each. The bill was $91 in all. I suspect this represents substantial revenue enhancement for the airport rental services.

So. Visitors. If you rent a car in Denver, especially from the airport, study your likely driving patterns in advance and if E470 will be a useful time-saver, pay for the toll option in advance. If you do not, stay off of E470 at all costs - there are ALWAYS other highway and surface street options. Set your GPS to avoid toll routes. You will regret saving those ten driving minutes... every time.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
There was a long thread about this already, and locals 'dissed' the sad experience of frequent travelers (Of which I have been burned a 2 times, but ONCE was terrible. (I had a month long rental car ($5/day) from Denver that I used out of state, EXCEPT for <10 min on E-470, at 2AM arrival). Consequentially I had to pay the 'rental car admin fee' ($45) + a DAILY $8.00 fee for E-470 access, even tho I was not in Colorado for 29 of the 30 days (and had receipts / cell records to prove it).

That was 8 yrs ago... there is now a way to PRE-REGISTER your rental car (If you do so BEFORE using E-470, AND you have an existing acct with CREDIT at Express Toll).

again... as you mention.. the 'average' tourist / in frequent visitor is likely to get raped / burned / trapped / hung...

Many international places have alternative ways to cover tools on non-boothed tollways (such as within 24hrs at a roadside store / fuel stop). No such options for E-470 (that I am aware). would be SO EZ to be more 'traveler friendly' simple kiosk at airport and at each end... enter plate number, deposit a few bucks. No fees, no collection companies, no credit holds, not rental car bans (uncollected fines stay residual in your profile MONTHS after you have settled)

Nice deal (for the rental companies and Tolling Agency)
If you have a 7-20 day rental it is pretty foolish to have to pay $10 / day for a transponder, that you use twice during your stay...~10 - 15 min total)

Of course many international folks coming to DEN are not gonna have a USA (unique) cell phone to 'pre-register' on a system that is very difficult to find and PRE-PAY to a credit level BEFORE you leave the airport.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
[I have been meaning to post this for a while, since being bitten badly by this semi-scam; was reminded of it after a trip out to DIA today. I suggest it's worth making a sticky for this forum, or maybe adding to the "Things we have to tell newcomers" post. Deleting this intro would be appropriate in that event...]

Hello, Visitors. If you rent a car in the Denver area, especially from the airport, be aware that there's a nasty little trap in local conditions waiting for you. It's called E470, the local express highway.

E470 loops around the eastern rim of the Denver area and is very convenient to get from the south to the north, into downtown Denver, and to the airport. Your GPS will direct you to it at every opportunity.

The tolls are modest, especially for a few visiting days, but the trap here is that they are automatic, billed to the registration address of each vehicle's license plate. There is no manual option to pay tolls. If you drive on E470, your license plate will be noted and a bill sent.

If you are driving a rental car, the bills will be sent to the rental company. If you are savvy and the rental agent explains every option, one of them will be "prepaid tolls" at a rather inflated figure ($49.95 at Dollar, when I rented). It seems like another frivolous add-on and far too many drivers probably skip it.

If you do not sign up for "prepaid tools" or whatever the agency calls them, and you drive on E470, you will get a bill about a month later for the tolls... and a stiff "administrative fee." In my case, with Dollar in August 2017, I had five tolls totalling $11 or $12... with a $15 service charge on each. The bill was $91 in all. I suspect this represents substantial revenue enhancement for the airport rental services.

So. Visitors. If you rent a car in Denver, especially from the airport, study your likely driving patterns in advance and if E470 will be a useful time-saver, pay for the toll option in advance. If you do not, stay off of E470 at all costs - there are ALWAYS other highway and surface street options. Set your GPS to avoid toll routes. You will regret saving those ten driving minutes... every time.
Agree, burned by this as well. As I recall, poor signage. By the time I realized, it was too late.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:13 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,427,778 times
It's not just here. I didn't know I drove on a toll road in Maryland until I got the bill.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:52 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
It's not just here. I didn't know I drove on a toll road in Maryland until I got the bill.
Yep it’s sh!tty. I travel all the time for work and if the rental car companies ask me if I want a toll transponder, I always take it. I got nailed in Chicago and Boston before learning my lesson.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:19 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yep it’s sh!tty. I travel all the time for work and if the rental car companies ask me if I want a toll transponder, I always take it. I got nailed in Chicago and Boston before learning my lesson.
I was never asked and had no idea Denver had any tolls. Northeast, you bet yer booty... but even there, it's with obvious toll plazas and payment options. A FastPass transponder made life easy for a resident.

Frankly, the tolls here are so low and sparse (probably just to/from DIA for most visitors) that the agencies could just eat them, up to $5 a day. But hey, why be fair when you can tack on a full day's charges or more?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:28 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There was a long thread about this already, and locals 'dissed' the sad experience of frequent travelers (Of which I have been burned a 2 times, but ONCE was terrible.
Please. I've told people who're planning to visit Denver to avoid E-470 at all costs for this very reason. I personally have never 'dissed' anybody.

Quote:
Frankly, the tolls here are so low and sparse (probably just to/from DIA for most visitors) that the agencies could just eat them, up to $5 a day. But hey, why be fair when you can tack on a full day's charges or more?
Isn't E-470 one of the most expensive tollways per mile in the US? It's $9 one-way to go from Smoky Hill to I-76 (15 miles). You can drive the entire 236 mile length of the Kansas Turnpike for under $15.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 04-19-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 10:42 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
I was never asked and had no idea Denver had any tolls. Northeast, you bet yer booty... but even there, it's with obvious toll plazas and payment options. A FastPass transponder made life easy for a resident.

I got burned even with the toll plazas. They were unmanned and took only coins. No credit or paper money options.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 AM

60 posts, read 137,244 times
I moved to Lakewood 2 years ago and my wife has gotten 2 tickets mailed to her from tolls on E470. We have no idea where these tolls are but they were so small we just paid them and don't care.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times
If you use something like Waze to navigate, you can change your settings so that it always plots a route without tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: