Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
High schoolers like to emphasize their differences, and Cherry Creek and Arapahoe, in particular, are athletic rivals. They like to talk smack about each other. And then they get to college, and their alliances change. That's all I meant.
Thanks for clarifying that. It is funny they become teammates after being rivals for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
OP, do you realize that the schools you listed are in 3 different school districts?

Arapahoe HS - Littleton Public Schools
Cherry Creek HS - Cherry Creek School District
Mountain Vista HS - Douglas County School District

If you haven't already done so, you should use the search function here to get more information on those districts. They are not run the same way and have different demographics.

Just to clarify because the names can be confusing. Cherry Creek is the name of a district, the Cherry Creek School District (CCSD), as well one of the high schools within that district, as well as a high-end neighborhood in Denver that has nothing to do with the school district.

I'm only talking about CCSD because that's what I'm familiar with. If you're looking at neighborhoods for Cherry Creek High, be aware that it's a very expensive area and the homes can have an older look. If they're not updated, that can be a turn-off for some people. Personally, I love these older areas, but many don't. Look at zipcodes 80111, 80112, 80113 in Centennial, Greenwood Village, and Englewood. Some areas in these zipcodes are also zoned for Arapahoe HS. As I mentioned in your other thread, I would also look at Grandview HS in Aurora. It's a good school in CCSD surrounded by some lovely newer suburban neighborhoods. Zipcode 80016.

Since you're from Katy, I'll say this. Some people move here from Texas and are a little disappointed with the schools. They think they aren't as academic as what they're used to. For instance, CCSD had 34 national merit finalists this year throughout the district. Not bad, but there are schools in Texas that have that many in just one school..... as my family in Plano and Houston keep reminding me.

Good luck with your move!

Of the 34 semifinalists, 26 are from one school, CCHS. The best public high school in Katy is arguably Seven Lakes, which is comparable size to CCHS and has 25 semifinalists. Sure there are a few exceptional high schools in Texas with a ton of merit scholars but overall Colorado has 1.5% of PSAT entrants become semifinalists while Texas has a dismal 0.7% of entrants becoming semifinalists, meaning you got quite a number of not so bright kids you have to deal with.

Lastly you'll have few 'natives' in either state becoming merit scholars, most are 1st/2nd generation immigrants with tiger parents pushing them hard academically. Not saying that's the way to raise kids but it is what it is. You will see that specifically at Cherry Creek HS where it is not unusual for kids to have multiple tutors for math/science/foreign languages.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. It is funny they become teammates after being rivals for a few years.
Yeah, and then those who were teammates in high school find themselves on opposite sides of the CSU/CU rivalry, but it's (mostly) all in good fun at that level.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 PM

30 posts, read 37,229 times
So many helpful responses here! Thank you.

@gorges - we are currently leaning towards Cherry Creek but obviously the prices etc. are a bit of a worry. Mountain Vista and Arapahoe too seem like good high schools, but I need to think about the middle school strangeness there.

@Moonwalkr - interesting perspective! Katy does have some big, pretty good schools (Seven Lakes and Cinco Ranch High), but all the research so far seems to suggest CCHS is pretty solid. Now only if housing wasn't so crazy I live in a really nice part of Cinco ranch, trees, lakes, 10/10 schools, and my house is probably 1/2 the price for the same I'd get there!

Traffic - well, after living in Houston, and dealing with 12-lane one-way traffic on the I-10, that's probably not something I'd worry too much about. My work will be close to Inverness/Meridian near I-25. I do like the Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree areas, but then they're not CCHS.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cerberus View Post

@gorges - we are currently leaning towards Cherry Creek but obviously the prices etc. are a bit of a worry. Mountain Vista and Arapahoe too seem like good high schools, but I need to think about the middle school strangeness there.

@Moonwalkr - interesting perspective! Katy does have some big, pretty good schools (Seven Lakes and Cinco Ranch High), but all the research so far seems to suggest CCHS is pretty solid. Now only if housing wasn't so crazy I live in a really nice part of Cinco ranch, trees, lakes, 10/10 schools, and my house is probably 1/2 the price for the same I'd get there!

Traffic - well, after living in Houston, and dealing with 12-lane one-way traffic on the I-10, that's probably not something I'd worry too much about. My work will be close to Inverness/Meridian near I-25. I do like the Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree areas, but then they're not CCHS.
Be aware that your property taxes will likely be significantly lower.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 PM

30 posts, read 37,229 times
@randomparent - that's true, however the 2x+ home prices directly lead to almost the same yearly property tax $, so I end up paying the same property tax but also much more in mortgage. I guess when one lives in Houston/Dallas one does get a bit pampered by the house prices compared to almost any other desirable city in the US (except maybe Phoenix). Seattle, Bay Area, DC 'Burbs, NY Burbs are all crazy.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
@randomparent - that's true, however the 2x+ home prices directly lead to almost the same yearly property tax $, so I end up paying the same property tax but also much more in mortgage. I guess when one lives in Houston/Dallas one does get a bit pampered by the house prices compared to almost any other desirable city in the US (except maybe Phoenix). Seattle, Bay Area, DC 'Burbs, NY Burbs are all crazy.
May I ask what your price range is?

Old 05-23-2018, 08:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
You will also have very little land for your house here, compared to what you would get in TX. I personally like having a small yard (5 minutes to mow lawn!) to deal with but for many it's a shock coming from somewhere with a lot of cheap land.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:

When it comes to middle schools you don't have to send your child to the same middle school that feeds into the high school you want them to go to. You can mix and match. I know that is how it is here in Douglas County.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Willow Creek, the neighborhood north of County Line between Yosemite and Quebec, is zoned for Cherry Creek High School. So is, Walnut Hills, the neighborhood just to the north of Dry Creek, between Yosemite and Quebec, and the next neighbor north of Dry Creek to the west, which is called Homestead. With a workplace in Inverness, you might also want to look in Cottonwood Creek, which is along Havana Street. All very nice areas.

For a map of the Cherry Creek High School's feeder area, click here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver