Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 08:44 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,756,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
All this talk of pending doom and yet when has California's cities seen a decline in population? People daydream about a move but few have the courage to do it. Seems nice to think sell my house and have enough to buy another cash, thats what you do on a real estate site. When the moving companies tell you the exodus is real then believe it.
This. I do house searches on Redfin all the time--not because I necessarily intend to move, but because sometimes I'm curious as to what I could get elsewhere for what my house is valued at now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 08:55 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,960,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Make El Paso county blue!
The left will win!

Old 05-28-2018, 09:36 AM

11,475 posts, read 11,643,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This. I do house searches on Redfin all the time--not because I necessarily intend to move, but because sometimes I'm curious as to what I could get elsewhere for what my house is valued at now.
They did point out that they eliminated single searches in their data set to address this. I believe you would need to look at a market 10 times for it to be counted. They also eliminated vacation type destinations like Hawaii because that’s mostly people dreaming.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 AM

824 posts, read 712,785 times
better to cool down the real estate market now than during next recession
-the Denver county population increase over time, the increase per yr is really not that great
-I am grateful Denver has done well for itself.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:06 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,666,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Wow - I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, DENs tech scene is way too small for some people. I moved back to Los Angeles las year bc it’s “Silicon Beach” and way more opportunity. I felt like tech firms knew me by name in Denver because it was so small for marketing automation professionals.

If I had to guess they’re going to Phoenix, L.A., Dallas, Houston, Austin.
I work in tech and I have for years. Denver tech expands to include the Boulder area as well as other areas. It is much bigger than you think. Actually, what do I know? You know everything.

A little interwebs research might help.

Metro Denver Companies

This one mentions slack which you think is garbage. It must be so if you say it is.
https://www.builtincolorado.com/2018...oving-colorado

The state’s economic development office, which is a member, says that Colorado has 11,000 tech companies. But other than citing “lower cost of living,” there’s no mention that Denver’s median home price, while it has been climbing rapidly, remains 60 percent less than San Jose, Calif. — $407,100 vs. $1.1 million.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/0...ley-tech-jobs/

We are definitely not Silicon Valley but who is? Silicon Beach isn't even close either.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,078,645 times
So the data looked at stats for the "metro area" and not Denver proper, right? From what I've heard, people are leaving Seattle for neighboring cities/suburbs--not necessarily leaving the CSA.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 987,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. A tiny subset of buyers and sellers. So tiny as to be statistically meaningless.
2. Those who have given up tobacco but have not moved on to Jack Daniels.
Kinda what I thought.

Not to mention that the numbers for Denver are so small to be insignificant.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,821,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I work in tech and I have for years. Denver tech expands to include the Boulder area as well as other areas. It is much bigger than you think. Actually, what do I know? You know everything.

A little interwebs research might help.

Metro Denver Companies

This one mentions slack which you think is garbage. It must be so if you say it is.
https://www.builtincolorado.com/2018...oving-colorado

The state’s economic development office, which is a member, says that Colorado has 11,000 tech companies. But other than citing “lower cost of living,” there’s no mention that Denver’s median home price, while it has been climbing rapidly, remains 60 percent less than San Jose, Calif. — $407,100 vs. $1.1 million.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/0...ley-tech-jobs/

We are definitely not Silicon Valley but who is? Silicon Beach isn't even close either.
I think it depends on what line of tech that someone is in. People in my line of work is EXTREMELY hard to find in DEN, but way more candidates in Texas and California.

Now sales people for companies like Conga or Gogo? That can really be anyone with a sales background.

Slack as a product is fine (assuming it's not for B.S. group threads) but I don't like it because the notifications are typically delayed and it led to a lot of internally gossiping in private chats at my last firm. Not to mention people just waste time on chats instead of being productive. It's like Instant Messenger 2.0 for work. Also posting attachments from the iPhone has weak functionality as well.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,020,767 times
Expensive cities tend to have this pattern. Young adults move in. Maybe they buy later at some point. Then, maybe when they have kids or want to buy more cheaply, they move elsewhere. The Redfin migration stats only catch them on the way out.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 AM

3,962 posts, read 4,438,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Make El Paso county blue!
The left will win!

Meh, I'd be happiest with a good solid colored purple. Much nicer balance that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: