Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:53 AM

95 posts, read 83,691 times

Advertisements

OP, did you end up getting breast enhancement surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 02:05 PM

11,132 posts, read 7,202,420 times
We've got some first-degree, heavyweight taunting today

Old 07-18-2018, 06:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,784,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
OP must be too busy at his new job to respond back. Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
OP, did you end up getting breast enhancement surgery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We've got some first-degree, heavyweight taunting today
Sigh. But I appreciate the humor, barbs and all.

Yes, us workin' folks ain't got time for this yack-yack stuff.
  • Situation: relocated here to either return to salaried employment or rebuild an agency.
  • Field: writing, editing, graphics, publications, print, online, presence, photo, video, marcomm... basically, if a large corporate communications department does it, so do I, and my experience and skill level in all facets is from journeyman to expert/trainer/award-nominee. (The winner to one of my second-places was some guy named Stephen King.) My 'specialty' is combining them for end-to-end project management and delivery, and I didn't mention my supervisory and management experience (up to 100 employees).
  • Effort: around 200 applications since last September, most shaped and targeted from a 5-page c.v. (Did I mention I did a few years as a resume editor and coach?)
  • Response: three employer interviews, two recruiter interviews, one decline phone call (from a peer), maybe three non-form decline emails, and about twenty belated, generic "thanks but we found someone" emails. Many, many *crickets*, and FYVM, thanks.
I lose out to mid-20s women with a still-smeary degree and a portfolio of intern/college work unbound by actual need, budget or audience response. And better ta-tas.

This is an amusing little position but 50-50 that it's a long-term match. I am still looking for the right slot if there's anyone with hiring influence who values extreme skill and experience over cuteness. I can get pretty cute after a couple of beers, though.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:37 PM

277 posts, read 307,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
  • Situation: relocated here to either return to salaried employment or rebuild an agency.
  • Field: writing, editing, graphics, publications, print, online, presence, photo, video, marcomm... basically, if a large corporate communications department does it, so do I, and my experience and skill level in all facets is from journeyman to expert/trainer/award-nominee. (The winner to one of my second-places was some guy named Stephen King.) My 'specialty' is combining them for end-to-end project management and delivery, and I didn't mention my supervisory and management experience (up to 100 employees).
  • Effort: around 200 applications since last September, most shaped and targeted from a 5-page c.v. (Did I mention I did a few years as a resume editor and coach?)
  • Response: three employer interviews, two recruiter interviews, one decline phone call (from a peer), maybe three non-form decline emails, and about twenty belated, generic "thanks but we found someone" emails. Many, many *crickets*, and FYVM, thanks.
I lose out to mid-20s women with a still-smeary degree and a portfolio of intern/college work unbound by actual need, budget or audience response. And better ta-tas.

This is an amusing little position but 50-50 that it's a long-term match. I am still looking for the right slot if there's anyone with hiring influence who values extreme skill and experience over cuteness. I can get pretty cute after a couple of beers, though.
With all of your special "experience" I'm surprised you submitted 200 applications.

After my first couple of jobs I quickly learned that the best way to get a new job is by networking with people who know how good at your job you are. I haven't interviewed for years...

Maybe it's the brains, not the ta-tas that those 20's women are using to get their jobs over you ;-)

- Woman in her late 20's

Old 07-18-2018, 07:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
With all of your special "experience" I'm surprised you submitted 200 applications.

After my first couple of jobs I quickly learned that the best way to get a new job is by networking with people who know how good at your job you are. I haven't interviewed for years...

Maybe it's the brains, not the ta-tas that those 20's women are using to get their jobs over you ;-)

- Woman in her late 20's

Also rightly or wrongly employers will often select less experience and a younger applicant because the experience they do have is "fresher" and more importantly those with ink still drying on their degrees can usually be had for less $.

I'm curious how you know this information about the successful candidate? Did you actually get a notification letter (Impressive as many employers can't seem to be bothered lately), and what did it say? "We've selected a young woman with perky breasts but we'll keep your application on file in the event the breasts, oops we mean woman, doesn't work out."

Edit: you describe your current job as "an amusing little position"? Are you as arrogant and condescending in real life? Maybe there's your reason.

5 posts, read 5,621 times
Keep using the word ta-tas in reference to professional women in the workplace, and you won't have much of a job anywhere doing much of anything.
Consider yourself lucky that you landed something in 11 months.
You sound like a loser.

9,868 posts, read 7,726,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Sigh. But I appreciate the humor, barbs and all.

Yes, us workin' folks ain't got time for this yack-yack stuff.

The young women probably thought the salary was acceptable. Maybe the hirer figured you would demand a big raise soon.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Nor would I have, in my prior two areas of domicile. Not knowing a single person in Colorado limits the networking, as does not being able to hang with the metro crowd from the 'burbs where I bought a house. (Plans are to change both, but that was all necessary first steps.)

For one thing, it's very difficult to know what companies use my skill set - I don't really care to work for specialized contracting agencies, having done that long enough, and prefer to do what I do from within a company that actually does something and needs the support skills. It's an incredibly opaque job situation with no obvious avenues of door-knocking or blind solicitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Also rightly or wrongly employers will often select less experience and a younger applicant because the experience they do have is "fresher" and more importantly those with ink still drying on their degrees can usually be had for less $.
Oh, that's the generality of it. Of course, no one over 30 could possibly be in touch with client or market audiences.

Nor was I seeking top dollar, which on linear career basis would be nearly $150k. I was looking downfield for many reasons, and pay level was about the least of my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penski1919 View Post
Keep using the word ta-tas in reference to professional women in the workplace, and you won't have much of a job anywhere doing much of anything.
Consider yourself lucky that you landed something in 11 months.
You sound like a loser.
I could explain the joke, but rest assured that's what it is. (Seriously. The above is fairly crude humor coming from me and nothing I would say in a RW context.) However, in nearly 30 years of working, managing, owning, hiring, firing and "networking" with peers and parallel companies, it's not an entirely inaccurate observation. The vast majority of lower- and mid-tier hires in the field are young and often attractive women... with, many times, indifferent abilities and very poor employee attitudes, who end up in other fields after a few rounds.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The young women probably thought the salary was acceptable. Maybe the hirer figured you would demand a big raise soon.
There's that, too. I'd be "too expensive." I'm not, for a variety of reasons, which I was happy to discuss when asked.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,479,146 times
It basically sounds like you're in marketing/advertising. If that's true, it's extremely cut throat here. Several friends I've made over the years are in this field. It's one of those fields where younger is better, more relevant. They jump around a lot between different companies and geographic locations. One of my closest friends ended up relocating to Dallas because the market was very rigid here in Denver despite having worked for many of the large ad firms and having an expansive network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: