Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,744,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There might be work with the military since you speak and can translate Russian and English. Military is big in COLO SPGS (also more affordable than Denver) and has some presence in Denver too. Check USAJOBS.GOV to see if anything is available.
Good idea, likely to pay more than retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,372,508 times
The problem will be qualifying for a rental.

Most places will rent to you only if the rent represents no more than 30% of your gross monthly income. So that rent of $1200 requires a verifiable monthly income of $4K.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,511,310 times
Boise?

Old 08-25-2018, 11:03 AM

31 posts, read 27,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There might be work with the military since you speak and can translate Russian and English. Military is big in COLO SPGS (also more affordable than Denver) and has some presence in Denver too. Check USAJOBS.GOV to see if anything is available.
Agreed, Colorado Springs might be a better option, especially if you like exploring and outdoors activities. Not that you don't have that in Denver, but it is still less expensive to live in Colorado Springs vs. Denver, although I don't know for how long, as they are predicting an abundant growth in the next couple of decades and they say it may become as big as Denver metropolis area within the next 15-20 years.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:32 PM

194 posts, read 274,001 times
I like you already as you remind me of a good song....

Amazon or the gig economy type jobs might be good as you will get to see all different parts of town and get a feel for things.

Don't come out here without a plan as it is expensive to get going (first and last months rent, car insurance will probably be higher, etc.)

I would look outside of Denver, set your sights wide it is a beautiful state. Colorado Springs might be a good choice. Or Boise, ID or probably the best choice for low cost living while still in a city.... Kansas City, MO.

I was born in Macon Georgia
Kept my daddy over in Macon jail
He told me if you keep your hands clean, yeah
You won't hear them bloodhounds on your trail

Old 08-25-2018, 10:06 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,151,440 times
I agree with looking at Colorado Springs. In all honesty that area is more scenic than many of the Denver Metro areas plus it's less expensive (for now).

Old 08-27-2018, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,349 times
It’s definitely very risky for us but we are doing our homework before the big move. We choose Denver because we thought there would be more job opportunities then in surrounding areas! We will definitely look into CO as well after reading all this!! Thank you guys for all the input!
How are the prices for milk? Eggs? And simple things like that over there?? Usually we play &200 for groceries a month! Eggs here are $1 to $1.50, and milk is $2, $2.50

Old 08-27-2018, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,349 times
We love outdoors, parks, rivers, big collecting, bird watching, plant collecting, winter sports and etc...
we wanted to go north somewhere with snow and so far Denver and Colorado was the most affordable for us as anything more north is crazy expensive. We wanted a place with good public transportation (I know Denver is not perfect but it’s better then Macon which has NOTHING). We wanted to be close to places so we will have lots of option on things to do, it can be a library or a bar or an art gallery... just more things to do. In a year or so we were thinking maybe start taking college classes to get our masters and phds. Denver seemed like it would have more job opportunities then other areas. I think we can easily afford a $1200 apartment even with one of us working full time but gain, this is just a prediction.
No we have never been to Colorado so this is going to be a very risky and exiting opportunity for us. We have great credits so even if things don’t work out we can easily break the lease and put $4000 on a credit card and come back to Macon...
I can’t to this forum mostly to hear from people who live in Colorado or Denver and get an idea on how much money we need to plan our life. I am doing the best I can to learn as much as I can about Denver prices and neighborhoods.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:27 PM

26,261 posts, read 49,173,354 times
You're doing fine, keep on digging. Use our search tool with such keywords as Grocery or Pizza or Allergy or any type of food.

Prices along the Front Range are competitive with other areas of the country and many major chains are here: Wal-Mart, Sams, Target, Costco, Kroger (aka King Soopers), Safeway, Sprouts, Whole Foods and I'm sure I've left a few off the list.

Big ticket item is rent. Look at www.padmapper.com to see what's out there. Beware the scammers on craigslist, read and heed their warnings.

Millions live in the Front Range. Fear nothing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 PM

17,720 posts, read 29,919,620 times
You should not care about the cost of milk and eggs.
You should care about the cost of:
apartment rentals
car registration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver