Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's a conspiracy! They're all out to make me eat bland popcorn!
I've been thinking, maybe all of us who've suddenly gone looking for it and asking for it will make some store here think there's a demand and start stocking it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 02:51 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I've been thinking, maybe all of us who've suddenly gone looking for it and asking for it will make some store here think there's a demand and start stocking it!
There's an old joke about this. "By god, if people want ping-pong balls, I'm stocking ping-pong balls!"

Old 10-13-2018, 03:01 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,300,562 times
Quote:
It's a conspiracy! They're all out to make me eat bland popcorn!
It's the movie theaters. They want to make you pay $7 for a small container of popcorn!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Holy Kow.

This was supposed to be a minor item on my grocery list, so that I could go to a tasty low-calorie evening snack. It managed to brat-slap me around pretty good.

Besides the search and travails here, I finally went to Amazon (waiting for enough small needed things to bother with an order). Guess what: they have it, but only at what I think are extreme prices. A pound of gourmet, paleo-friendly stuff from this seller, one or two pound cans of Mortons from that seller, two of the little shaker cans from another, and all in the $10-12 range. Crazy.

So I decide to take the very good advice above and make my own (coarse kosher salt and Cuisinart at hand)... and want a nice fine-grain or powdered-sugar shaker to keep it in. Guess what: if there's a powdered shaker on Amazon that doesn't have believable quality warnings in the reviews, I couldn't find it. At least, not up to the $12-15 price range. Cheap, break, flimsy, lid falls off, and several that have lids Hercules can't get the lid off.

So I give up. I'll grind my own, use a regular stainless kitchen shaker (of which I have a couple) and very worst case fit it with a fine stainless screen to control shaking if my hand isn't steady enough not to oversalt.

Unbelievable. I should have just stayed with rocky road.

Or copped the little shaker from the shelf when I left CT...

Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,300,562 times
Let us know how it goes, though I don't have a food processor.

BTW, for another data point of it not being available, I was in Whole Foods recently, looked there, and they didn't have it either.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Let us know how it goes, though I don't have a food processor.

BTW, for another data point of it not being available, I was in Whole Foods recently, looked there, and they didn't have it either.
It really seems to be something that's disappeared from the shelves, probably in the face of microwave bags and then the (awful) (useless) (higher profit) flavorings. (Gosh, super-butter and cheese flavor in a shaker, Martha. Whoda thunk!)

But, in the mere minutes since my last post...

I haz freakin' powdered salt for mah popcorn!

The food processor was so-so, turning the coarse kernels into 1/3 powder and about 2/3 standard table grains. So I dumped that in my coffee grinder and... voilá! It took me longer to clean the coffee dust out, then carefully clean all the salt dust out, than to actually end up with about six heaping tablespoons of powdered popcorn salt. I got it now; it's a two-minute process, mostly cleanup.

And further WIN!, I found my one unused shaker can - and it was unused because it was too small for most of the stuff I keep that way *and* had a selection of normal or tiny holes that I found frustrating with grain- and flake-sized stuff. I would have gotten rid of it long ago were it not so well made.

Sometimes the win is right under your nose, so to speak... but I would have been just as happy had I been able to toss a $3 shaker can in my cart sometime in the past few weeks.

So shove that up your big data, evil tracking-driven grocers of the republic! Nyah!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM

...but I've pretty much had to give up on boysenberry jam, which apparently is not sold east of the Sierra. Checked it on Amazon, and instead of $4-5 a jar in a multipack, it's over $10 no matter the maker or quantity. Sigh.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:25 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Glad you got the salt to work!

Quote:
...but I've pretty much had to give up on boysenberry jam, which apparently is not sold east of the Sierra. Checked it on Amazon, and instead of $4-5 a jar in a multipack, it's over $10 no matter the maker or quantity. Sigh.

Have you tried Trader Joe's? or Cost Plus World Market?

Old 10-25-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Glad you got the salt to work!
Insert some tired joke about the salt mines here.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Quote:
Have you tried Trader Joe's? or Cost Plus World Market?
Rarely hit the more exotic groceries but have not found boysenberry jam in either in previous trips.

I never realized what a regional product it was - California stores rarely had fewer than two brands (Smuckers, Knott's, and often a gourmet variety or two); it was nonexistent in CT and I am dismayed to find it just as scarce here. Certainly not any kind of shipping, availability or season issue, not with Smuckers at least.

Sigh. Green chile only makes up for soooo much.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:27 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
We buy jam from https://www.monasterygreetings.com/p...nal-Selections
We buy a case at a time to keep shipping costs down.
The raspberry is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver