Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I choose San Diego or Denver?
Should I stay in San Diego? 43 86.00%
Should I move to Denver? 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 08:44 PM

243 posts, read 228,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Have you hiked through the forests on Mount Palomar or to Mount Laguna yet? Done the hike to Big Laguna or to Volcan Mountain? Camped in Kitchen Creek? Watched the sunrise from Kwaaymii Point along the Pacific Coast Trail? Found the hidden waterfalls in Beaver Hollow or Horse thief Canyon? Crawled into the Wind Caves in Borrego, or watched the sunset over the Borrego Badlands from Fonts Point?

If not, you don't know anything about what San Diego has to offer in terms of hiking, camping, and natural beauty. It's like you've gone out on one date with a beautiful girl and decided that she's not for you without even learning her name.

These places, by the way, are all in San Diego County, which is as big as the state of Connecticut. They're all within an hour to two hours drive of downtown San Diego and the ocean.

A month isn't long enough to explore an area like San Diego County. I've been here 35 years and I'm out almost every weekend hiking and camping and I still haven't been to all of the beautiful places there are to explore in San Diego County. And, I'm not talking about the ocean.

This isn't to say that Denver and Seattle aren't beautiful places too -- I've spent time in both cities and their surrounding areas and I like them both a lot. But, it sounds to me like you're rejecting San Diego without actually getting to know "her."

Feel free to shoot me a direct message if you want some additional suggestions of places you really should experience before you leave San Diego. I'll be happy to share!

While I agree I’m getting very demotivated simply because I can’t get a roof over my head due to my lack of credit history.

I know San Diego is an extremely desirable place but cmon bro , a leasing company won’t even rent me a 700$ room in a split apartment ? That’s like a 1/5th of my net income. Normal heights btw , tiny little 2bdrm. It’s not La Jolla or gaslamp. Wtf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 09:16 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
While I agree I’m getting very demotivated simply because I can’t get a roof over my head due to my lack of credit history.

I know San Diego is an extremely desirable place but cmon bro , a leasing company won’t even rent me a 700$ room in a split apartment ? That’s like a 1/5th of my net income. Normal heights btw , tiny little 2bdrm. It’s not La Jolla or gaslamp. Wtf.

I totally understand your frustration about this; it must be scary as heck to be in a strange city with no where to live (yet).

But, are you totally sure it's going to be any different in Denver or Seattle?

That's the question you need to be asking in these forums -- how hard is it to rent n City X without any credit history? How hard is it to find an apartment in your price range without any credit history?

Who cares how tall the mountains are if you're just going to be facing the same problem?

Here are some threads from the archives to get you started:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...tion-poor.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...nts-mafia.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ing-800-a.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ries-they.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...g-scammed.html

Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I totally understand your frustration about this; it must be scary as heck to be in a strange city with no where to live (yet).

That's the question you need to be asking in these forums -- how hard is it to rent n City X without any credit history? How hard is it to find an apartment in your price range without any credit history?

Who cares how tall the mountains are if you're just going to be facing the same problem?

But how many more private owners are there in Denver than San Diego ? A lot more. Is Denver as overcrowded as San Diego ? Not a chance.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:

That's the question you need to be asking in these forums -- how hard is it to rent n City X without any credit history? How hard is it to find an apartment in your price range without good credit?

Also, if you're going to relocate, you may want to look at smaller, less popular cities in the West. Sometimes (but not always) landlords in smaller, less popular cities can be more flexible because they don't get multiple applications for every rental.

So, maybe look beyond the obvious choices if San Diego isn't your forever place. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2019, 10:04 PM

427 posts, read 245,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You sound like someone who's prone to thinking wistfully of the road not taken, whichever road you do choose.

And I don't know where you got the idea, that Denver is reasonably priced. I guess it depends on what you compare it to, but the tech industry has been driving rents up, and RE prices up. Also, the outdoor recreation isn't right outside your door. It's a big city, and it takes some driving to get to mountains, hiking, skiing.

You're in San Diego. You should relax and enjoy where you're at. Enjoy the water while you have it close by. You'll start to miss it, after you've been in the high plateau of CO. There's also the long Denver winters to be concerned with.

Construction isn't just about learning basics. The better pay is when you get a journeyman's license. That requires college coursework, advanced math, learning building codes, and electrical or plumbing. It's not easy.

Just a few things to think about.
I was a laborer's apprentice with LIUNA. I made very decent money ($19.10 an hour plus benefits) after 500 hours, so for a 21 year old, it could still be considered "big money" as you're way ahead of alot of your peers. Walked off after finally telling my superintendent to go shove it after constantly making remarks about my sex life and my mother for 40 hours a week. After 8 months, it starts to grind your gears a bit.

Last edited by CuriousAboutRussia; 05-11-2019 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:

Any desirable city will be hard for you to get cheap housing.

You did not mention the credit history in your earlier posts.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:49 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,148,099 times
At your age with limited credit, you may have to consider roommates?

Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
San Diego.....so long as you can get a good job.

Denver is not close to the mountains and i hear the dating scene sucks. I think the denver metro is good for families and empty nesters. I think it would be a bit boring as a young single dude.

That and surfing is free...skiing is $$$$$.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
At your age with limited credit, you may have to consider roommates?
Can you not read ? I’ve tried looking for roommates and all of them want me on the lease. I can’t sublet anything. I’ve already made arrangments for Portland and everything is looking very well for me. Thanks for all the responses.

San Diego is a nice place to vist but a very cutthroat city to start your life off in, espically with no help from well off family. Life can always be worse but I can’t be a truck dwelling hippy forever.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Can you not read ? I’ve tried looking for roommates and all of them want me on the lease. I can’t sublet anything.
No need to be rude. The people who come here to volunteer their time are trying to helpful. Snarky remarks are totally unnecessary.

So now all of a sudden you’re going to Portland? After 39 posts answering your original question, now you’ve completely changed direction? I hope that you will be more focused when you ask the people of Portland for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver