Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 11:27 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Burial plot or cremation contract?
I read the text before the name of the poster and expected it would have been davebarnes

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-11-2020 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 01:32 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
It is the time to get a will.

As far as housing, there are no in person showings. You can shop virtually and get into a contract so you can see it in person.

We need a balanced market before prices change. I think after 8 years of appreciation, the rate will slow to 5 or 6%. Most houses have equity, so we won’t see the short sale/foreclosure crisis of the recent past.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:39 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Most houses have equity, so we won’t see the short sale/foreclosure crisis of the recent past.
This.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:39 PM

629 posts, read 619,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I really don't see housing being affected to any great degree or for any long-term. Remember, 2008 was all about a vast number of over-inflated mortgages. This crisis has almost no direct or unique bearing on the industry, and I suspect many supports and programs will come into place to keep people from losing their homes due to unemployment.

But I guess the circle (of vultures) always remains unbroken.

Possible scenario:

1. Unemployment persists longer than we think/hope, and the government is unable or unwilling to continue to pay the current level of unemployment and overall assistance to literally every segment of life as we know it.
2. Masses of people stop paying their mortgage, or intend to sell at what they believe it is worth.
3. Desperation puts a large number of houses on the market, hoping to sell at an amount they believe it is worth, or at least what they paid for it.
4. Fewer buyers due to mass layoffs and decreased confidence in holding/finding employment.
5. Massive swing in supply/demand with this influx in properties coupled with fewer buyers.
6. Subsequent cut in value which would leave sellers underwater.
7. Decision to sell at a loss. Or just walk away, leading to foreclosures.
8. Resulting upswing in inventory with large drop in prices = Great opportunity to buy

May or may not work out this way, but it is certainly a scenario we could see if this falls apart down the line. The longer we go before starting the recovery, the more difficult it will be to get back up and running for everyone (if at all), and the more likely we will have the scenario above. May or may not happen. But it is absolutely possible, and there is already lots of chatter within the real estate circles of how this could play out to their advantage. The hardship of a large number of people will leave a few with tremendous opportunities that will absolutely be taken advantage of.

Edit to add that some markets will be more resistant to this than others. Others will be demolished (see Vegas). But no one will be completely immune.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:09 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I read the text before the name of the poster and expected it would have been davebarnes
I wish.
But, I did rep pikabike.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-11-2020 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: fixed his post, text was intended, not 'next'

Old 04-11-2020, 04:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I wish.
But, I did rep pikabike.
I am quite sure you can think of other smartazz answers!

Old 04-11-2020, 05:54 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ing-that-trend

Old 04-12-2020, 09:42 AM

629 posts, read 619,818 times
Chase isn’t feeling too confident about the current real estate situation (meaning impact on borrowers and potential for lost jobs, not paying mortgage, subsequent cut in value to properties, etc) and preparing for a shift in the market to mitigate risk...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...-idUSKCN21T0VU

Requiring a 700 credit score and 20% down will be significant. Anyone thinking this whole ordeal can’t have a significant impact on the real estate market is fooling themselves. If the banks are concerned, then that’s reason enough to take this seriously.

Not short term, obviously. The current market is still strong. But if this persists for a few months longer, then the impacts would be felt in 6-12 months. If all banks follow suit with these lending requirement changes, this alone will cut down on potential buyers and likely have a direct impact on an increase in inventory, or at least a suppression in increases in housing prices, and it could be seen relatively soon.

Last edited by alliance; 04-12-2020 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-12-2020, 05:36 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
There are plenty of lending options. No one should use a big box bank.

A wf employee got 1/4 point drop on a conventional loan with 5 % down. When I asked him to apply at a local lender, he balked. Humor me, please. 1/2% lower and the fees on the gfe were $1,000s less.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:13 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Requiring a 700 credit score and 20% down will be significant.
Half the population has a score over 700.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver