Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times

Advertisements

Great "overall" weather......ok, whatever. I have video/photos of when we lived there showing an awful lot of snow coming down (and sticking), snow shovels being "sold out", snow blowers going at full speed and of some fairly heavy rainfall, etc. Actually, there are other places in the U.S. that do have better weather than Denver metro does. Just fact.
We got tired of the snow season and moved. It was a darn good choice for us.

QUOTE=Denverdude78;3754652]See ya later LBear, go find weather paradise. (Hint, you probably won't find it on the North American continent). It's funny to hear all these people complain about the weather here, when every out of state person I know keeps mentioning how it is the best kept secret. For every one or two days we get a freak snowstorm that hardly sticks to the ground, everyone seems to forget the time in between when it was 70-80 and hardly a cloud in the sky. If you can't tolerate a little snow here and there, then go, there are lots of places that get hit with REAL blizzards where it stays cold for months on end, places that get hurricanes, earthquakes, severe tornadoes, floods, unbearable heat and humiduty, and constant rain out there that are just waiting for you.

Meanwhile I'll stay here with the great overall weather.[/quote]

Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I'm still looking for that place with little humidity but lush greenery, never any precipitation at all, no clouds, about 72 degrees during the day and about 68 at night. Sun shines daily but not too strong so you won't get a sunburn, with great visibility all the time and never any air pollution.

Oops, there's no place like that. You have to compromise somewhere. Even San Diego isn't all of those things. Phoenix' climate is, to put it mildly, an "acquired" taste. It's somewhat self-selecting, only those who absolutely love heat would even think about moving there.
I think you described an air conditioned shopping mall.

And I agree about Phoenix. Denver is hot enough for me in the summer. I've always preferred cold to heat so I couldn't handle 7 month summers.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I'm still looking for that place with little humidity but lush greenery, never any precipitation at all, no clouds, about 72 degrees during the day and about 68 at night. Sun shines daily but not too strong so you won't get a sunburn, with great visibility all the time and never any air pollution.

Oops, there's no place like that. You have to compromise somewhere. Even San Diego isn't all of those things. Phoenix' climate is, to put it mildly, an "acquired" taste. It's somewhat self-selecting, only those who absolutely love heat would even think about moving there.
no, your definition pretty much describes San Diego,

Lush Green: YES
72 degrees: YES
50-68 at night: Yes
No clouds: Only in the morning the majority of time
Sunshines daily: YES
Sunburns: Only if you hang out at the beach too long
Great Vis: For the most part
Air Polution: Well you don't see that brown sky that Denver has

Old 05-13-2008, 05:35 PM

127 posts, read 434,191 times
Since I've been away for awhile, thought I would chime in. In the 15 years I've been in Phoenix this has been the best true spring I remember. We have had lots of Windy days throughout March, April and even today it is only 83 with some pockets of occasional rain drops. Normally in May you are at the point of no return with the first 100 degree already in the books. It does look like that first 100 degree day is on the horizon for Monday but is very tollerable as are humidity level is in the single digits.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to some day enjoying the mix of some snow days and than a 60-70 degree day as I like that ever changing mix.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
no, your definition pretty much describes San Diego,

Lush Green: YES
72 degrees: YES
50-68 at night: Yes
No clouds: Only in the morning the majority of time
Sunshines daily: YES
Sunburns: Only if you hang out at the beach too long
Great Vis: For the most part
Air Polution: Well you don't see that brown sky that Denver has
But much of that only applies within a short distance of the coast where its incredibly expensive. Go just a few miles inland and it gets a lot hotter in the day and a lot colder at night. I wouldn't describe Southern California as "lush green" unless you count the weeds growing on the few undeveloped hillsides remaining after an especially wet winter. This winter was one of those and the hills are already getting back to their usual brown.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But much of that only applies within a short distance of the coast where its incredibly expensive. Go just a few miles inland and it gets a lot hotter in the day and a lot colder at night. I wouldn't describe Southern California as "lush green" unless you count the weeds growing on the few undeveloped hillsides remaining after an especially wet winter. This winter was one of those and the hills are already getting back to their usual brown.
after living on the front range of colorado, I would say SD is consideralby more lush green. Keep in mind, Im not talking about the mountain country of Colorado. My wife and I were laughing at the fact that we consider PHOENIX greener than Denver. The Palms, Cacti and desert trees are give it a nice green look year round, even when its 110 degrees. I can't speak for all of SD btw, I spent most of my time in Ocean side, carlsbad, and San Marcos. IN the phoenix area, I live in the East Valley. Today, we had a cold front, its dipped down to 69 at my house. It even rained (which is nice once and a while).

Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
Since I've been away for awhile, thought I would chime in. In the 15 years I've been in Phoenix this has been the best true spring I remember. We have had lots of Windy days throughout March, April and even today it is only 83 with some pockets of occasional rain drops. Normally in May you are at the point of no return with the first 100 degree already in the books. It does look like that first 100 degree day is on the horizon for Monday but is very tollerable as are humidity level is in the single digits.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to some day enjoying the mix of some snow days and than a 60-70 degree day as I like that ever changing mix.
Denver should be your destination my friend, you will find climatic bliss in that ever changing (sometimes by the hour) weather.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM

181 posts, read 506,133 times
Default How harsh is the sun?

I know Colorado gets a lot of sun, despite having 4 seasons. How does it compare to California sun-more intense? I ask because I am a redhead with extremely fair skin. Am I going to burn to death if I try anything outdoors?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
I know Colorado gets a lot of sun, despite having 4 seasons. How does it compare to California sun-more intense? I ask because I am a redhead with extremely fair skin. Am I going to burn to death if I try anything outdoors?
I think you better stay out of Colorado. The extra elevation seems to make the sun even more intense. Less filters for the sun means more sun damage. Move to oregon, very little sunshine, and very few red heads.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
If you go out without sunscreen and a hat, you will burn, even in winter. We have the most intense sun in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver