Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:45 AM

20 posts, read 13,309 times

Advertisements

Hello looking into buying a home in the metro and noticing that SW Aurora area has very affordable homes/condos. At first glance it seems attractive for me due to commute to DPS or Cherry Creek schools (teacher here) and proximity to Denver itself for sports and activities.

What is the area like there for anyone that knows specifically about the region I’m referring to? And why are homes so much more affordable? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 10:56 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Supply and demand initially. Aurora overbuilt. There is not a direct commute path to downtown Denver. But, it’s proximity to DTC and Cherry Creek Schools are a plus.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:03 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
I bought here for affordability and reasonably central access (e.g., not out in a smaller town, GVR, etc.) I've been happy here although a bit isolated from my major job/client region across the NE arc of Denver.

Three houses adjacent to me are for sale and the visiting traffic over the weekend was enormous. I think all three have contracts pending after a week or so on the market.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:33 PM

116 posts, read 143,664 times
You should also check crime maps for the area where are you interested in buying, some areas of Aurora aren't very safe...

Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioana View Post
You should also check crime maps for the area where are you interested in buying, some areas of Aurora aren't very safe...
SW Aurora is second only to the new areas in the SE for reasonably low crime. As I was told (here, I think) you want to stay as far south as you can, and as far from Colfax Avenue as possible. Almost anything south of Iliff is worth looking at.

If there's any crime in my area, the folks leaving garage doors open, bikes on lawns and cars unlocked don't seem to know about it.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:01 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Nice place unless you have to travel across town. I would choose a central location that way any direction that you travel is 30 mins out. I would think about Stapleton.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
I own a condo that I rent to my daughter in the area known as the Dayton Triangle which I think falls into that general area you are interested in. Here are a few of my thoughts....

Lots of traffic on the main roads there. Lots of diversity - many different ethnic groups around. Some crime, but not too bad. Some homeless and panhandling near Havana. Pretty convenient location to many things.

When I was looking at the condo, I happened to see a police officer near there so I asked him about crime at the complex and he assured me it was not generally an issue there.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:30 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Been here 2 years just south of Iliff and no problems. I talked to a few cops and they said most of their calls are concentrated into a handful of problematic apartment complexes in the area, but its a drop in the bucket compared to the troubles they get in areas north of Alameda. There is new construction around, especially near light rail, so you might be getting in at the right time.

I think the pricing is a reflection of the age and quality of the houses. Most are suburban boxes built in the 70s and 80s so its a home that's around 40 years old and some of the lowest priced have never been updated. The houses that have had recent flipping activity are actually a bit expensive for what you get and you do have to worry about resale value if your neighbors don't keep up with you.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:57 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
OP could you be more specific about what area you're calling SW Aurora? In my mind that could be the area near E470 & Parker Rd, near Arapahoe, because that's about as far SW as you can get and still be in Aurora, but others seem to be talking about a different area.

Last edited by Gorges; 06-02-2020 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 04:22 PM

I'm talking about a circle that includes Cherry Creek Park and Quincy Reservoir, which IS southwest Aurora.

I dunno what to make of that weird detached chunk to the southeast, with its teeny-weeny connecting arterial. I guess you only live in Aurora along that stretch if your house is in the middle of Quincy.

I'm sure there's a story for every missing rectangle, but it probably involves developers so I don't wanna know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver