Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 10:14 PM

158 posts, read 144,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
To each his own. I could live in Las Vegas or Orange County for my job and make more money, but no thanks. Life in Denver isnt about shoveling snow just like life in Southern California isn't about going surfing. And also, I don't think on a like for like basis the cost of Denver is matching Southern California. More like the nicest parts of Denver, where people are making high salaries, are matching middling to even subpar areas of So Cal. Nothing in Denver matches the cost per sf of Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach, let alone sky high areas like Bel Air or Malibu.
Yes I agree 100%. I also want to add that some of us actually prefer seasons. I lived in Florida for 7 years and despised the constant hot humid weather. The months drag on with hardly any variety in weather patterns. That gets old rather quickly. I like a variety in my weather. I grew up in New England so I’m accustomed to the colder winters. I think the seasons really break up the year. I never enjoyed it being 75 or 80 on Christmas Day. Never felt right.

I do understand how some people would enjoy that though. Most of my family still live in Florida and they seem to really like it. I was the odd one out, it just wasn’t for me. My point is that hot weather is not the end all be all for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 04:11 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
To each his own. I could live in Las Vegas or Orange County for my job and make more money, but no thanks. Life in Denver isnt about shoveling snow just like life in Southern California isn't about going surfing. And also, I don't think on a like for like basis the cost of Denver is matching Southern California. More like the nicest parts of Denver, where people are making high salaries, are matching middling to even subpar areas of So Cal. Nothing in Denver matches the cost per sf of Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach, let alone sky high areas like Bel Air or Malibu.
Very well said!

Old 12-22-2020, 08:23 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler1026 View Post
Yes I agree 100%. I also want to add that some of us actually prefer seasons. I lived in Florida for 7 years and despised the constant hot humid weather. The months drag on with hardly any variety in weather patterns. That gets old rather quickly. I like a variety in my weather. I grew up in New England so I’m accustomed to the colder winters. I think the seasons really break up the year. I never enjoyed it being 75 or 80 on Christmas Day. Never felt right.

I do understand how some people would enjoy that though. Most of my family still live in Florida and they seem to really like it. I was the odd one out, it just wasn’t for me. My point is that hot weather is not the end all be all for everybody.
We lived in Jacksonville, Florida for 10 1/2 years and, last year (2019), moved back to Colorado. We knew a couple who are "snowbirds", have a home in Ormond Beach, and they were quite shocked that we left Florida. But, then again, they only lived in Florida during the winter months of lower Michigan (their main home). We really missed the mountains/wildlife of Colorado and only went to the beach a few times in 10 1/2 years.

We ended up knowing that we didn't want to stay any longer in Florida or live in the South period. We are very happy to be back in the Rocky Mountain area!

I'm very sure the OP will find what they want, or at least, close to what they want. Many of us do.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:31 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Hawaii of course but I don't think I'll ever find a job in my field there so it's kinda out of scope.

I know an IT guy who just moved to Hawaii early this summer due to the pandemic, but he kept his job and basically his employer just allowed him to work remotely 100% of time. I just assume that's a field that would be pretty open to remote work.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,249 times
I've been jobless for the whole 2020 pretty much.
Finally found a remote until pandemic condition job recently for an east coast company.
I'll not move to NJ after they open offices.
I'm not sure when it'll happen.
In any case, I'm still looking for places to move.
Remote jobs are more available than before so that helps plan for the move.
I've been looking more specifically to NC or Pittsburg, CA.
One of my friends who lived in NC said it's nice weather there but not much to see except jungle.
Pittsburg, CA has home prices pretty much similar to Denver now.
OR and WA maybe little to far up and colder.
This pandemic situation is putting everything on hold.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM

5,350 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
I've been jobless for the whole 2020 pretty much.
Finally found a remote until pandemic condition job recently for an east coast company.
I'll not move to NJ after they open offices.
I'm not sure when it'll happen.
In any case, I'm still looking for places to move.
Remote jobs are more available than before so that helps plan for the move.
I've been looking more specifically to NC or Pittsburg, CA.
One of my friends who lived in NC said it's nice weather there but not much to see except jungle.
Pittsburg, CA has home prices pretty much similar to Denver now.
OR and WA maybe little to far up and colder.
This pandemic situation is putting everything on hold.
I was in Denver and now I'm down the road from NC in northern Georgia. It is a bit of a jungle, so many more leaves per acre, but I like it a lot! The trees are next level, there's so much variety! There's nothing that can compare to a hardwood forest in the Rockies, aspen are so tiny and monotone in comparison . The nice part is I really haven't seen many snakes (I did see several rattlers in Denver) and the mosquitoes really are not bad! Weather is better IMO, even if it gets hot in the summer, it'll be nice to have some down time split into 2 chunks of the year where I don't feel guilty playing video games instead of being outside

From my limited experience, the piedmont, or hilly eastern part is a bigger forest, things shrink down once you get into the mountains as it gets colder and windier on the slopesides.

I miss the sheer amount of open land, the alpine views, and dirtbiking though of CO.

If you can stay WFH, there's lot's of cool spots I'd try!! I'd leave Denver for sure, unless you just NEED 5 sports teams. If you want to stay in CO, Canon City area is warmer and has better outdoors! I still like the Ozarks, I'd actually go there over the Appalachians if I didn't have to be in an office and was going to do eastern US.

Pittsburg CA might be rough since so many people are looking at getting outside the Bay but still closeby, so I don't know what sort of housing you could even find.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I was in Denver and now I'm down the road from NC in northern Georgia. It is a bit of a jungle, so many more leaves per acre, but I like it a lot! The trees are next level, there's so much variety! There's nothing that can compare to a hardwood forest in the Rockies, aspen are so tiny and monotone in comparison . The nice part is I really haven't seen many snakes (I did see several rattlers in Denver) and the mosquitoes really are not bad! Weather is better IMO, even if it gets hot in the summer, it'll be nice to have some down time split into 2 chunks of the year where I don't feel guilty playing video games instead of being outside

From my limited experience, the piedmont, or hilly eastern part is a bigger forest, things shrink down once you get into the mountains as it gets colder and windier on the slopesides.

I miss the sheer amount of open land, the alpine views, and dirtbiking though of CO.

If you can stay WFH, there's lot's of cool spots I'd try!! I'd leave Denver for sure, unless you just NEED 5 sports teams. If you want to stay in CO, Canon City area is warmer and has better outdoors! I still like the Ozarks, I'd actually go there over the Appalachians if I didn't have to be in an office and was going to do eastern US.

Pittsburg CA might be rough since so many people are looking at getting outside the Bay but still closeby, so I don't know what sort of housing you could even find.
How bad is the pollen thing in NC?
Any specific area with more Asian/Indian community?

Old 05-13-2021, 11:18 AM

387 posts, read 638,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Plus it gives one a fairly quick option for both mountains AND ocean.
Tech jobs are more concentrated in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, and it's NOT RDU, that's just the airport); insurance and banking more in Charlotte, although I know of folks working in the tech department of Bank of America there, so certainly there are jobs in tech there as well.

Raleigh is about 3 hours to the mountains (Boone area), and about 2 hours to the beach (Wrightsville Beach). Charlotte is closer to the mountains but further from the beach.

I lived in the Triangle ~10 years, and much preferred it over Charlotte. I really couldn't tell you why, but I feel the Triangle is a bit more laid back. A bit more accepting of diversity. Most likely leaning left (although the state is not dissimilar from CO in that the urban centers increase in population (and some of the mountain towns that are population centers with major universities like Asheville and Boone) has the state turning from red to purple, and DEEPLY RED rural areas). Certainly, better schools, especially college/university in the Triangle. So many little weekend events almost all year. The farmer's markets in Durham and Carrboro.

Having lived in several different states in my life, NC is the only one that could potentially pull me back, but it would take quite an offer to do so (all personal reasons). I'd really recommend giving the Triangle area a look, too. The Triangle City-Data forum is one of the most active ones on City-Data, and they're really helpful. You might even find some of my old postings before I relocated here!

Old 05-13-2021, 11:27 AM

387 posts, read 638,056 times
Quote:
How bad is the pollen thing in NC?
Any specific area with more Asian/Indian community?
The pollen thing is VERY VERY REAL. Think of all the advice you received in moving here about how to adjust to how dry it is...always have water with you, buy saline nasal spray and lip balm, etc. It's the same in NC for allergy seasons; and yes, there's two. One in the spring (check the Triangle City-Data about the "green storm" "green fog" "green snow" etc. etc), and again in the fall, when falling leaves develop powdery molds. So, plan for a morning antihistime, carrying tissues always, and using allergy eye drops.

There is a significant Asian/Indian community in Cary, NC, especially the western part, toward Morrisville. Again, the Triangle City-Data has many questions and answers regarding the Asian/Indian community, and most will point you that direction. And, in eastern Cary, if Udupi Cafe is still there, I strongly recommend!

Old 05-13-2021, 12:01 PM

5,350 posts, read 5,127,881 times
For me, the pollen's just been psychedelic green dust, I don't think I'm allergic to any of it, but if you had allergies, it'd be bad. There's tons of Asians and Indians in NE Atlanta as well, probably for the same reasons they are in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver