Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:29 AM

64 posts, read 280,324 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Denver in a few months from Indinapolis and I was wondering if anyone can tell me a few things about areas to live with kids( that's not too pricey),schools, weather and anything else we may need to know. We have not been out there to see Denver yet but will be traveling out there in the near future. I just want to know what I should expect.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM

249 posts, read 1,030,140 times
My friends who have kids live near City Park - they have the Zoo, the Natural History Museum and, of course, a great park there - all great for kids!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 AM

118 posts, read 445,023 times
Default From Carmel Indy

I moved to Colorado from Indiana as well, Actually I am from Ohio lived in Indy for 5 years then florida for 1 year. I can tell you the dry weather is HARSH at best. And it dont get very warm here. Its about 60 today and its almost june. it also snowed last week. Its almost June and still hasnt warmed up. The dry weather causes your eyes to burn nose to bleed and skin and lips to chap. a HUMIDIFIER is a MUST and still it dont work well. I would take a trip here if I were you, also you dont feel the effects of being here right away it usualy sets in after about 2-3 weeks you will notice the change.

I am also looking to move up to denver area from COS (although i would rather move out of Colorado but my husbands job keeps us here) anyway look near south east aurora it seems pretty nice i think.

Oh and most people here dont have air conditioning in the houses lol even the upscale areas with really expensive homes half them dont put it in. that should tell ya how cool of weather it is here i guess lol

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 33,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Florida View Post
I moved to Colorado from Indiana as well, Actually I am from Ohio lived in Indy for 5 years then florida for 1 year. I can tell you the dry weather is HARSH at best. And it dont get very warm here. Its about 60 today and its almost june. it also snowed last week. Its almost June and still hasnt warmed up. The dry weather causes your eyes to burn nose to bleed and skin and lips to chap. a HUMIDIFIER is a MUST and still it dont work well. I would take a trip here if I were you, also you dont feel the effects of being here right away it usualy sets in after about 2-3 weeks you will notice the change.

I am also looking to move up to denver area from COS (although i would rather move out of Colorado but my husbands job keeps us here) anyway look near south east aurora it seems pretty nice i think.

Oh and most people here dont have air conditioning in the houses lol even the upscale areas with really expensive homes half them dont put it in. that should tell ya how cool of weather it is here i guess lol
It's all relative I guess. Personally, living in the KC area I hate the humidity and heat that hit June - August. I've visited Denver in the summer and it's extremely refreshing IMO. Denver summer's are more like early - late spring in Kansas City.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

It was 84 yesterday in Louisville, per accuweather. It's supposed to be 83 today. People were coming in to the office yesterday in shorts, sundresses, flip flops, etc.

In my experience, most newer houses have A/C. We have a large room A/C in our downstairs, some summers we use it every day and some summers we hardly turn it on.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM

64 posts, read 280,324 times
Thanks I will take any info on Denver that I can get.Is there anything to do there besides hiking and skiing? That's all I have heard people talk about. If anyone can give me info on areas that are good place to raise kids, that's not too expensive I would appreciate it.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLay View Post
Thanks I will take any info on Denver that I can get.Is there anything to do there besides hiking and skiing? That's all I have heard people talk about. If anyone can give me info on areas that are good place to raise kids, that's not too expensive I would appreciate it.
I would check out the indexes that our mods have put together. Lots of good info on all of the above.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:

Huh? Where do you live? Everyone I know has A/C. Considering it's been in the upper 80s and supposed to hit 90 heare in Denver this week, A/C is a must. Average highs in the summer are in the upper 80s to 90 in Denver. If that's considered cool, then I guess you must prefer to live in a Florida sauna!

I find Denver's summers to be hot, but very pleasant since it's not sticky humid and cools off so nice in the evenings. Bugs are minimal too.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:02 PM

118 posts, read 445,023 times
I live in Pine Creek, and hardly any houses here have AC im a little worried as I never been without central air before and cant imagine how it is possible to not have it. Im just telling you when I found out there was no AC in this house (something i just assumed was in the house considering it is brand new) that i put a post out on the COS website how normal it is and so many ppl tell me i dont need it cuz it dont get hot here and ppl dont use them here ? now im really worried

Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
I live in Pine Creek, and hardly any houses here have AC im a little worried as I never been without central air before and cant imagine how it is possible to not have it. Im just telling you when I found out there was no AC in this house (something i just assumed was in the house considering it is brand new) that i put a post out on the COS website how normal it is and so many ppl tell me i dont need it cuz it dont get hot here and ppl dont use them here ? now im really worried
Where is Pine Creek? Is it higher elvation than Denver? I could see not having A/C at higher elevations, but it gets too hot in Denver. Our house was brand new 3 years ago and A/C was an "upgrade" that everyone has to purchase. I think it should be standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver