Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 02:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I live just outside NYC, so here are a few things I enjoyed:

Being able to drive 20 minutes in any direction and be out in open prairie

Job opportunities (Hubby and I are teachers and there are hundreds of applicants for every position. For those that are fortunate enough to have a job, changing schools becomes almost impossible)
Focus specifically on those 'surrounding areas' that best suit your needs, (much of Denver metro is not 20 minutes from desirable escapes, try your escape route on a Friday afternoon or evening)
The desired places to live may limit the available job opportunities... as mentioned, Colorado schools are not equivalent and often not well funded.

Check your retirement / pension options, as teacher salary can be good or bad in retirement, based on your existing and future pension / savings programs. This can significantly effect your future QoL. (Not every district has the retirement programs that provide $200k pension for (2) teachers in retirement, few are sitting FT on the beach in Tahiti collecting their pensions, but some are. (Usually CA / OR teachers on a full CalSTRS/ PERS, no longer offered with such great benefits to new employees))

There are some pristine Colorado areas, but jobs may be difficult to impossible there. (Have a plan B)

There are other options nearby Colorado, that may meet your 'free' living expectations and significantly boost your earnings. +/-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 02:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Is it not? A lot of the older housing stock in the Front Range would seemingly fit this description. Our house is exactly that. Granted, the basements are often small, former cellars that may or may not be finished.
Alas, those older homes are often closer to central job centers and consequently priced higher for that easy commute option.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:49 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Was asking about property insurance costs.
We pay over $3200 with AMICA.
Hail

Old 08-12-2022, 07:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We pay over $3200 with AMICA.
Hail
Ouch!

Is it possible to get discounts for roof age or type? Or other hazard mitigation strategies?

Old 08-12-2022, 01:30 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,539 times
Quote:
Alas, those older homes are often closer to central job centers and consequently priced higher for that easy commute option.
I think the northern 'burbs might have more of what you're looking for at a more affordable price. My first thought is Thornton. It's a pretty cookie cutter suburb with ample housing stock that fits your criteria. Lots of ranches. Some parts of Arvada might fit the bill, too.

Next, I'd look in parts of Aurora, especially the older parts. Aurora, the city, is only about 30 years younger than Denver. In the older parts, you'll find a good amount of the small one-floor bungalows with small basements at a far more affordable price than the western 'burbs.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:02 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I think the northern 'burbs might have more of what you're looking for at a more affordable price. My first thought is Thornton. It's a pretty cookie cutter suburb with ample housing stock that fits your criteria. Lots of ranches. Some parts of Arvada might fit the bill, too.

Next, I'd look in parts of Aurora, especially the older parts. Aurora, the city, is only about 30 years younger than Denver. In the older parts, you'll find a good amount of the small one-floor bungalows with small basements at a far more affordable price than the western 'burbs.
Tallyn's Reach has some ranch models near E-470/Smoky Hill, but they're probably pretty pricey.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:59 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Tallyn's Reach has some ranch models near E-470/Smoky Hill, but they're probably pretty pricey.
I don't know that I would call Tallyn's reach "one of the older parts of Aurora." There are plenty of ranch style houses that you can find without crossing 470.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:06 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I don't know that I would call Tallyn's reach "one of the older parts of Aurora." There are plenty of ranch style houses that you can find without crossing 470.
I agree. Just saying they can be found in the newer, swankier parts of Aurora. Just be prepared to pay a pretty penny for them.

Old 08-13-2022, 06:00 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,374 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what are we talking for an 1800-2000 sf ranch house in a suburban area that’s seen as lower risk for wildfires. We’re looking at a Colorado move in a few years and 20+ years of Florida homeownership have skewed my perception about what people in ‘normal’ areas pay.
That would be my house. Current expected sales price is $520k for a fifty-year-old home with average finishes and small yard, which isn't a bad thing considering our water situation. Property taxes are about $3200/yr. Maintenance varies, but there's always something! Gotta tell you, though, that ranches are very hard to come by. Most houses are multi-story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver