Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM

55 posts, read 202,695 times

Advertisements

Does anyone forsee a young family enduring any kind of culture shock moving from the Chicago Suburbs to suburbs north of Denver?

How does the high altititude come into play?

Any acceptance issues? Are people generally welcoming into neighborhoods and kind to strangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
Kind to strangers in Denver as opposed to Chicago??? Personally I think you will be SHOCKED at how nice people are here!! I do know this is MY opinion but, having been to Chicago on many many occasions,....and feeling like someone might do me under at any moment (I'm not kidding either!!) Denver will be a "walk in the park,..a Disney kind of moment!).
And before everyone gets a little upset with me,....this is MY experience and I know that not Everyone in Chicago is like this......just the majority!Hahaha!

Seriously, you will love it and be More than fine and Welcome!!IMO!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsafloater View Post
Does anyone forsee a young family enduring any kind of culture shock moving from the Chicago Suburbs to suburbs north of Denver?

How does the high altititude come into play?

Any acceptance issues? Are people generally welcoming into neighborhoods and kind to strangers?

You shouldn't experience much of that here. The 70's brought the last big influx of midwesterners, so it might even feel midwestern @ here, but with mountains and a much drier, though not placid, climate. Besides our minor league beloved Bears, many Denver residents adopted the Cubs as their preferred MLB team (read WGN), prior to the Rockies.
In about 2 days, your hemoglobin levels should rise enough for your altitude adjustment.
In general, if you come with a "what will I add to my new community" attitude, you shouldn't have any trouble, and should be warmly welcomed. Those who come here just to live, and don't seem interested in learning about their new home and leaving their own preconcieved notions about the way things ought to be, ala their former home, seem to have the most trouble. They're residents only by the address on their drivers licences.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:41 PM

55 posts, read 202,695 times
What about for the kids:

Is it a good place to raise the childrens?

I have heard that there are some five star rated schools in the area we're looking.

What activities are there for younger kids (aren't yet skiing/hiking)?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM

You're referring to Adams 12 Five Star Schools, which really refers to the five communities the district serves-Thornton, Northglenn, Westminster, Broomfield, and Federal Heights. The schools further north in Thornton, Broomfield, and Westminster have pretty good reputations. Plenty of activities for the little ones-rec. centers (Westminster's and Thornton's are great), YMCA, etc.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
I grew up in Northwest Denver and, I would say that it is a most perfect place to raise your children!

I agree that within a short period of time you all will adjust to the altitude ( some will never notice a difference at all ).

If you drink alcohol..you will most definitely notice,fyi.

I think that you will mostly notice if you go back to sea level....you and your children will be surprised at your newfound endurance!! That is why so many an athlete, train in Colorado!!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
You shouldn't experience much of that here. The 70's brought the last big influx of midwesterners, so it might even feel midwestern @ here, but with mountains and a much drier, though not placid, climate. Besides our minor league beloved Bears, many Denver residents adopted the Cubs as their preferred MLB team (read WGN), prior to the Rockies.
In about 2 days, your hemoglobin levels should rise enough for your altitude adjustment.
In general, if you come with a "what will I add to my new community" attitude, you shouldn't have any trouble, and should be warmly welcomed. Those who come here just to live, and don't seem interested in learning about their new home and leaving their own preconcieved notions about the way things ought to be, ala their former home, seem to have the most trouble. They're residents only by the address on their drivers licences.
It takes about 3 weeks, not two days, for your hemoglobin to increase. You may have some issues with altitude, but frankly, I never did coming here as I did from Champaign, IL.

Many people keep their allegiences to their home sports teams for years. I've been here for 28, and last year was the first time I rooted for the Broncos over the Steelers. I don't think I could EVER sing "Root,root, root for the Rockies" at a baseball game if they were playing the Pirates.

You will meet people who complain about newcomers, growth, etc, but people are usually nice one on one. If you volunteer in your kids' schools, teach Sunday School, work the concession stands at their sporting events, etc, you will be accepted.

Edit: One reason we chose Louisville with its hills is that we didn't want to feel like we were back in Champaign. You will find an area that catches your fancy. Do not worry about the schools. I could go on, but I won't right now. Use the indexes on these forums. You will find lots of information.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-29-2008 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It takes about 3 weeks, not two days, for your hemoglobin to increase. You may have some issues with altitude, but frankly, I never did coming here as I did from Champaign, IL.

Many people keep their allegiences to their home sports teams for years. I've been here for 28, and last year was the first time I rooted for the Broncos over the Steelers. I don't think I could EVER sing "Root,root, root for the Rockies" at a baseball game if they were playing the Pirates.

You will meet people who complain about newcomers, growth, etc, but people are usually nice one on one. If you volunteer in your kids' schools, teach Sunday School, work the concession stands at their sporting events, etc, you will be accepted.

Edit: One reason we chose Louisville with its hills is that we didn't want to feel like we were back in Champaign. You will find an area that catches your fancy. Do not worry about the schools. I could go on, but I won't right now. Use the indexes on these forums. You will find lots of information.

Three weeks for hemoglobin adjustment sounds rare. My internist tells folks travelling from the east to ski in the high country 2-3 days for adequate adjustment for those in good health.
Allegiences - thats an issue that some newcomers have, and not only with pro sports. It should be mentioned, though, that if it weren't for the Broncos successes since the 70's, we wouldn't have pro baseball or hockey around here.
Again, you'll gain acceptance and win friends by becoming part of the local community-learning its history and supporting local businesses. Otherwise, as previously stated, your new home will merely be the address printed on your CO drivers license.

Last edited by Sockeye; 05-30-2008 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 06:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
2 - 3 days is what it takes to adjust to the altitude to not get altitude sickness. That is why it is recommended that skiers spend a day in Denver before going up to the high country if they are coming from, say, the east or west coasts. For your hemoglobin to increase takes about two weeks, according to this article:

Deacclimatization - how long does acclimatization typically last

I have also heard three weeks to adapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver