Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 09:00 PM

10 posts, read 11,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
School attendance lotteries usually start in January for the next school year. So you might want to have an address by next January in order to apply.

Thornton, Northglenn, Westminster, Broomfield all have housing stock from last century to this century and there are brand new homes yet to be built in those areas. But if you want brand new, dirt start you’d want to have something contracted for by June. Supply chain issues are common. I haven’t been involved in a new home sale that has not been delayed in the last two and a half years. Lately, it’s garage doors and windows.
We may just use our family’s address for now, or just contact schools to let them know we’re planning on moving to the area. I definitely do not want a brand new home. IMO, something that’s 10 years old is my sweet spot. Can’t figure out what problems a house has when it’s brand new, or it’s not as easy. Basically, just need to find a house that’s been maintained, and won’t have too many issues going in. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 10:15 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I have no actual knowledge but suspect you can't apply without a residence address. But do post your results from researching. Others will likely want to know how to get the school application process started when planning to move here. It may be that you can't get into the charter lottery for the first year.

In any case it is probably a good idea to buy a home with a good home public school. That way you have a fall back position if the lottery doesn't work out for you. But I've never heard any parents complaining about the lottery results. Generally they seem thrilled with the choice they've made.

Conversations at neighborhood parties go something like this. Where is so-and-so going? Legacy of course. What about other-child (twin of so-and-so)? Prospect Ridge. We are so thrilled. What about your child (asked to the person who originally asked the question)? Legacy of course.

Last week my Dr told me how thrilled she was with her child at Peak to Peak. He was in first grade and she was worried he would be bored and act out but says things are going great. They are keeping him engaged and he is learning alot.

Other parents, we moved here for Stargate. Can't wait.

Just moved in parent, we started our kids at Rocky Top and have to get them some iPads. They are a whole year behind because our school back home isn't as good. We are delighted that this school is so much further ahead.

At graduation time. My hair stylist asked some advice for her daughter graduating from Legacy. At a subsequent appt she shared she got into everywhere she applied and was going to Princeton.

Neighbor's boy went to Cornell. Another neighbor's daughter got a Rhodes Scholarship and went to Oxford. I believe both had gone to Legacy.

There is nothing more fun than finding out where the seniors are headed and what they are planning to do. I especially love hearing about engineering and science majors.

Graduation congratulations signs are starting to pop up in lawns. In the houses behind me I saw Peak to Peak and Prospect Ridge. I'm sure if I wandered around the neighborhood I'd find Legacy and Stargate signs.

If your kid leans toward the musical then Legacy has an award winning marching band that gets invited to Rose Bowl parades, Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade etc.

There is also a Theater for children that is fantastic. The Northglenn Youth Theater puts on very professional shows. They perform at the Parson's Theatre.
https://ci.ovationtix.com/36492

https://northglennarts.org/programs/...youth-theatre/
Even if your kids aren't performers attending the shows is alot of fun. They are really well done and it is fun to see the star of the show bagging your groceries the next day at the grocery store. Prices are right also. Generally $15 per person and there are some pretty good restaurants nearby so easy to make it a night out.

In terms of athletics, I've heard of Legacy soccer scholarship recipients for girls soccer. Talked to senior male last fall who wants to major in engineering and is thinking he will get a soccer scholarship so we discussed good engineering schools to apply to. I haven't run into his parents yet this year to see where he is going. I'm not sure which high school he goes to.

Generally there are lots of sports opportunities in the community from both the schools and the rec. centers. Our rec centers are fantastic. You can choose activities from any of them. They don't have to be the ones associated with your city.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:26 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdbluetx View Post
That sounds great! I’d love to be near state parks. We have small city parks nearby, but nothing like the reservoir! Thank you for help and information!
You're welcome. Cherry Creek State Park isn't far, either. It has a swim beach, hiking trails, and campsites. Unlike Aurora Reservoir, you can use jet skis on it. The camping isn't really anything special, but it's nice having a campground in the city.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:14 PM

I took these today. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Legacy High School is the large brown building in the center of the picture.

McKay Lake near Legacy High School. People use it for fishing and sometimes you see a kayak. There is a 1.5 mile walking trail that is popular with dog walkers. Trails extend in all directions from it.

Children's playground near McKay Lake in Broomfield (walking distance from Legacy High School. You can see the bike park in the background. They have 3 levels of bike park. One for tiny tots, one for intermediate and the big jumps for the most experienced riders.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:26 PM

Trails around Siena Reservoir at Anthem Community Park near Prospect Ridge Academy.

Soccer fields at Anthem Community Park near Prospect Ridge Academy.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:42 PM

Near Stargate there is tons of shopping.

This is the view from my dentist's office. The building to the right is a Petsmart, then a TJMaxx and Home store. Behind it is St. Anthony North Hospital along with other medical specialty buildings like orthopedics.

In the same parking lot there are 10 restaurants. Two of our favorites are Snooze and Nextdoor.

Orchard Town Center has movies, restaurants and shopping. They also have free concerts in the summer.

This area of Orchard Town Center has water shooting out of the ground in the summer. Sat. are mostly dad's with their children playing in the water.

There is a Denver Premium Outlets that has alot of high end stores and a great children's playground.

There is a view from the parking lot.

Lots of fun playground equipment.

Some of the big name stores within a mile are Cabela's, Macy's, Target, JC Penny, Nordstrom Rack, Lowes, and Walmart.

We even have an In-N-Out burger joint.

Last edited by mic111; 04-06-2023 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-10-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I have no actual knowledge but suspect you can't apply without a residence address. But do post your results from researching. Others will likely want to know how to get the school application process started when planning to move here. It may be that you can't get into the charter lottery for the first year.

In any case it is probably a good idea to buy a home with a good home public school. That way you have a fall back position if the lottery doesn't work out for you. But I've never heard any parents complaining about the lottery results. Generally they seem thrilled with the choice they've made.

Conversations at neighborhood parties go something like this. Where is so-and-so going? Legacy of course. What about other-child (twin of so-and-so)? Prospect Ridge. We are so thrilled. What about your child (asked to the person who originally asked the question)? Legacy of course.

Last week my Dr told me how thrilled she was with her child at Peak to Peak. He was in first grade and she was worried he would be bored and act out but says things are going great. They are keeping him engaged and he is learning alot.

Other parents, we moved here for Stargate. Can't wait.

Just moved in parent, we started our kids at Rocky Top and have to get them some iPads. They are a whole year behind because our school back home isn't as good. We are delighted that this school is so much further ahead.

At graduation time. My hair stylist asked some advice for her daughter graduating from Legacy. At a subsequent appt she shared she got into everywhere she applied and was going to Princeton.

Neighbor's boy went to Cornell. Another neighbor's daughter got a Rhodes Scholarship and went to Oxford. I believe both had gone to Legacy.

There is nothing more fun than finding out where the seniors are headed and what they are planning to do. I especially love hearing about engineering and science majors.

Graduation congratulations signs are starting to pop up in lawns. In the houses behind me I saw Peak to Peak and Prospect Ridge. I'm sure if I wandered around the neighborhood I'd find Legacy and Stargate signs.

If your kid leans toward the musical then Legacy has an award winning marching band that gets invited to Rose Bowl parades, Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade etc.

There is also a Theater for children that is fantastic. The Northglenn Youth Theater puts on very professional shows. They perform at the Parson's Theatre.
https://ci.ovationtix.com/36492

https://northglennarts.org/programs/...youth-theatre/
Even if your kids aren't performers attending the shows is alot of fun. They are really well done and it is fun to see the star of the show bagging your groceries the next day at the grocery store. Prices are right also. Generally $15 per person and there are some pretty good restaurants nearby so easy to make it a night out.

In terms of athletics, I've heard of Legacy soccer scholarship recipients for girls soccer. Talked to senior male last fall who wants to major in engineering and is thinking he will get a soccer scholarship so we discussed good engineering schools to apply to. I haven't run into his parents yet this year to see where he is going. I'm not sure which high school he goes to.

Generally there are lots of sports opportunities in the community from both the schools and the rec. centers. Our rec centers are fantastic. You can choose activities from any of them. They don't have to be the ones associated with your city.
This is a lot of amazing information. I'm one of those types that researches anything like crazy before making a decision. Sometimes to the point of analysis paralysis, hah! I've got an excel sheet full of places, neighborhoods, schools, and other pieces of information on this move, so I appreciate your detailed post! It's great to hear great things about the schools you mentioned. I'll be contacting them soon to see what the process would look like for someone out of state. I will definitely post back on my findings, good idea!

The rec centers are exciting to me. We don't have anything like that in our city, and we've visited our family's rec center in DFW, and thought it was such a fun thing to do on rainy days, especially with small kids. The YMCAs around us don't have everything in one spot.

Also, thank you for the pictures! Those views are amazing! We just see flat land and buildings around us. I forget how breathtaking Colorado can be, especially when you're surrounded by concrete and houses.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You're welcome. Cherry Creek State Park isn't far, either. It has a swim beach, hiking trails, and campsites. Unlike Aurora Reservoir, you can use jet skis on it. The camping isn't really anything special, but it's nice having a campground in the city.
We have a large-ish city park close to us, but it's mostly just hiking, and I believe trail biking. Nothing like a swim beach, which my kids would absolutely love. I was seriously considering a beach town to move to, but it's hard to find an affordable one with a good school system! Plus, Colorado has the added benefit of being close to family too. My husband is into camping, so I think having something close by is also a perk, and a good way to get my kids into it. Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2023, 07:33 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdbluetx View Post
We have a large-ish city park close to us, but it's mostly just hiking, and I believe trail biking. Nothing like a swim beach, which my kids would absolutely love. I was seriously considering a beach town to move to, but it's hard to find an affordable one with a good school system! Plus, Colorado has the added benefit of being close to family too. My husband is into camping, so I think having something close by is also a perk, and a good way to get my kids into it. Thanks again!
You're welcome. I feel like I have to up my game to keep up with mic111 lol.

I need to take more pictures of our neighborhood, but here are a few from around the area.

Here's a picture of a deer at Aurora Reservoir.

Here are some photos of Castlewood Canyon State Park. It's about 30 minutes south of us.

These are Hidden Mesa Open Space. It's about 20 minutes from us just south of Parker.

If you're into hiking, I have all these pics and more in a photo album here.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You're welcome. I feel like I have to up my game to keep up with mic111 lol.

I need to take more pictures of our neighborhood, but here are a few from around the area.

Here's a picture of a deer at Aurora Reservoir.

Here are some photos of Castlewood Canyon State Park. It's about 30 minutes south of us.

These are Hidden Mesa Open Space. It's about 20 minutes from us just south of Parker.

If you're into hiking, I have all these pics and more in a photo album here.

WOW! Man, both of yall's pictures are making me want to move sooner. We've got the next year at least to prep, but now I want to move this summer, hah! Dang, I should take pictures around me. Houses! Houses and buildings as far as the eye can see! I like parts of Texas but I am in a very flat and boring area. Thank you for sharing those pictures with me. I will have to live vicariously through my family for now until we can get up there. It's making my decision tougher. North or south! Might just flip a coin and let the fates decide! Thanks again for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver