Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 11:24 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions for good Day Trip or overnight trips from Denver next week. Family friendly is best. I already know about Ice Castles and do plan to go. Last year we went tubing in Fraser and skiing in Summit County already and but this year we want something more low impact and off the beaten path. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2023, 08:23 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,248,713 times
more of a two night thing from Denver but I will post anyhow...

Our son and a buddy are visiting Ridgway from Colorado Springs and today we are taking them to Ouray. We will do a small hike by the ice park which is interesting even to just look at and walk a small distance on the Ouray perimeter trail. Get lunch somewhere in Ouray. There is some snow of the ground so hiking will be limited but we should be able to do some. The family friendly Ouray hot springs complex has limited soaking pools open during the winter.

About 9 miles up the Million Dollar Hwy (heading South) is the Ironton cross country ski and snow shoe area. Im afraid to go to Telluride right now because of the crowds but its about 50 miles from Ouray.

Ive never stayed at any of these but I believe there are a couple hotels in Ouray with on site hot springs (try google). I would guess its off season this time of year.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:56 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Looking for suggestions for good Day Trip or overnight trips from Denver next week. Family friendly is best. I already know about Ice Castles and do plan to go. Last year we went tubing in Fraser and skiing in Summit County already and but this year we want something more low impact and off the beaten path. Thanks.
What age ranges are we talking here, mkwensky?

Youngsters or fossils?

Horseback riding or car trackday?

You see, the possibilities are endless.

Old 12-24-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
What age ranges are we talking here, mkwensky?

Youngsters or fossils?

Horseback riding or car trackday?

You see, the possibilities are endless.
Elementary school kids. Horseback riding in the snow? Is that a thing?
Looking for something more low impact as in nothing harder than snowshoeing which I can already do from my backyard.

Old 12-24-2023, 10:54 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
https://www.uncovercolorado.com/dog-sledding/

Winter sled dog ride.

Old 12-24-2023, 11:26 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Estes Park, Glenwood Springs, Colorado Springs (zoo, Broadmoor), Boulder, Georgetown, Evergreen Lake…

Old 12-24-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Estes Park, Glenwood Springs, Colorado Springs (zoo, Broadmoor), Boulder, Georgetown, Evergreen Lake…
I've been to those. Would consider returning if there's a festival or other scheduled activities happening that week. Georgetown, Evergreen etc on a normal day isn't really worth a drive. Estes Park in winter would be worse than during summer AFAIK.

Old 12-24-2023, 01:09 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
I'm not saying it's a great suggestion, but you could go see what the show Home Town Take Over did to Fort Morgan, and drive up to the Pawnee Buttes if the roads are passable.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:25 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Colorado Springs is a good easy day trip . . . USAF Academy Visitors Center . . . Pioneer Museum . . . Broadmoor Resort for a meal . . . Zoo . . . Pikes Peak Cog Railway (it WILL be bitter cold at the top, usually 30 degrees colder than at the base, worse if windy).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-25-2023, 03:19 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Colo Spgs
Outdoor ice skating at Acacia Park
Electric Safari at Cheyenne Mtn Zoo
Cosmo's Magic Show (reservations required)
Pikes Peak Cog railway
AFA ice hockey game
CC ice hockey game

Woodland Park
Dinosaur Resource Center

Divide
CO Wolf and wildlife Sanctuary

Cripple Creek/Victor
Ice Castles
Hike to see Rita the Rock Troll

Canon City
Holiday Train ride (reservations required)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver