Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 AM

138 posts, read 600,192 times

Advertisements

We are considering the neighborhood of Governors Ranch after extending our househunting search from Centennial (Homestead Farm, Foxridge, Cherry Knolls) and found nice subdivision with general good upkeep of the properties, a great pool too! The home prices seem to be substantially more affordable too which is welcoming.

My two concerns are with the school, Governors Ranch Elementary and the surrounding area. The school doesn't have an outstanding rating but I've been told that there is a high number of open enrollment there. Is it because the other neighboring schools are less desireable or because this school is really a hidden gem? Does anyone have any personal experience with it?

My other concern was the area surrounding the subdivision. There is a ton of commercial shopping/stores and Southwest Plaza too. It is wonderful for convenience, but does feel a bit congested. I noticed a Sunflower Market being built but the mall was a ghosttown when we visited. Is the area in general in a state of transition and would it be considered a decline or renewal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 PM

201 posts, read 656,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedfly View Post
We are considering the neighborhood of Governors Ranch after extending our househunting search from Centennial (Homestead Farm, Foxridge, Cherry Knolls) and found nice subdivision with general good upkeep of the properties, a great pool too! The home prices seem to be substantially more affordable too which is welcoming.

My two concerns are with the school, Governors Ranch Elementary and the surrounding area. The school doesn't have an outstanding rating but I've been told that there is a high number of open enrollment there. Is it because the other neighboring schools are less desireable or because this school is really a hidden gem? Does anyone have any personal experience with it?

My other concern was the area surrounding the subdivision. There is a ton of commercial shopping/stores and Southwest Plaza too. It is wonderful for convenience, but does feel a bit congested. I noticed a Sunflower Market being built but the mall was a ghosttown when we visited. Is the area in general in a state of transition and would it be considered a decline or renewal?
I'm not sure much about the school- however, as someone who is from Littleton/Centennial (Littleton before they broke and became their own city), I think that all the schools around here are awesome. The southwest plaza area (at least in my opinion) does not feel congested-it stays busy enough that the mall still functions, but is not packed all the time (or even most of the time, to be honest). If you are used to crowded malls, southwest plaza will seem like a ghost town

As far as homestead, foxridge, and cherry knolls go, I can tell you right now that the population in those neighborhoods is declining. I went to the schools that those neighborhoods fed into Boy, it was something. However, you will find in those neighborhoods that the majority of kids are now adults (young adults) who come home during the summer from college, and many are just now graduating with their degrees. Very few families have young children in there (not saying there aren't some, just that it's a lot fewer than when I was in school). Based on my experience (and from visiting my parents quite a bit as well as attending a recent elementary school "Graduation" for my little brother), I would recommend the west side of centennial/south suburban area. The schools are good, there's a community, and...as an added bonus, you get bigger yards and no hoa fees

Try around the university/arapahoe rd and university/dry creek rd area- still nice, a tad less than homestead/foxridge (you should see how far those children get bussed- especially when there's an elementary school right across the street) and those areas have plenty of families with children moving in ... plus, they feed into some of the best high schools in the nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: