Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,934 times

Advertisements

My fiance relocated to Denver for what we thought was going to be a temporary job. Well turns out it will be permanant. He is living in Brighton and that is where I'll be moving too in a month. I would like thoughts? We have a 3 month old and I am coming from the deep south (alabama). Needless to say this is going to be one crazy transition for me and the baby girl... So I also would like some advice... what do I need to prepare for... anything I should buy (such as things you've found useful for the area/climate?). Any info is greatly appreciated. I just found this forum today and I gotta say I LOVE forums so I should be posting on here quite often. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,438 times
Brighton lies along the S. Platte River, and is still primarily an ag. town like most up along Hwy 85, but has also become a bedroom community over the past ten years or so. Home prices are below what you'd pay closer to the city, but if your husband commutes to Denver, well, $4/gallon gas would probably make up the difference.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,571 times
sunglasses and sunscreen! maybe a humidifier.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM

I gotcha... i just visited for a week (last week) and he immediately went out and bought me some nice sunglasses... haha. Serengeti's i believe is the brand they are. He is planning on staying in Brighton because he likes it. He works in Aurora though I think...

Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,991 times
Having lived in Brighton for the past 7 years (coming from Texas) I too would recommend the sunglasses and sunscreen and hat for the little one. Having said that, make sure you have some sort of air conditioner or swamp cooler for the home as it can get awfully hot here in the summers. By the end of June we could be near 100 degrees, however you don't need them for more than a couple of months. By September it begins to cool down again. Don't rush out and stock up on heavy coats, hats, gloves and other snow gear for the kid/s (like I did). I found that unless you're going to be outside during the winter months for an extended amount of time it's really unnecessary. A friend had promised me I'd be needing all things Gore-Tex and after the first winter here I decided it was all a waste of money!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCo Mom View Post
Don't rush out and stock up on heavy coats, hats, gloves and other snow gear for the kid/s (like I did). I found that unless you're going to be outside during the winter months for an extended amount of time it's really unnecessary. A friend had promised me I'd be needing all things Gore-Tex and after the first winter here I decided it was all a waste of money!
Does this mean I won't need good coats and boots for us if I have to get out and go to the store and/or run errands during the day? I appreciate the input. My husband said that he wore long johns and all sorts of stuff during the winter and he wasn't exactly in the elements?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Your husband was definitely in the elements, and those things are necessary for comfort in the more extreme cold. Your/his tolerance will go up with time and you won't need to bundle up as often, 40s-50s (maybe even upper 30s) degree temps won't even require a jacket after a while. I'd say real winter lasts from Thanksgiving til early March. Fall and Spring winter weather fluctuates a lot, going in and out of cold/warm spells.

Here's what you'll need
Ice scraper/brush in all vehicles, long johns/thermals (if you are going to be out late at night (in winter) or when it's very cold). Snow shovel (if you have sidewalks in front of your house), gloves, jacket/sweater, beanie/hat. Washer fluid, lots of it. Maybe some ice melter if you have an area that tends to ice up a lot.

What you don't need:
4x4 vehicle, very unnecessary, but nice to have if you already have one
To be afraid of the winter, not nearly as harsh as I thought it would be

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Nice... on the 4X4, he just bought me a 98 Subaru AWD. He must have anticipated that. huh?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:47 AM

345 posts, read 1,566,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
Does this mean I won't need good coats and boots for us if I have to get out and go to the store and/or run errands during the day? I appreciate the input. My husband said that he wore long johns and all sorts of stuff during the winter and he wasn't exactly in the elements?

YMMV (your mileage may vary) but I found that a heavy coat/hat etc. weren't necessary for myself. Dressing in layers actually works better. The only time I seriously wore/wear thermals is in December when I'm sitting outside in downtown (Brighton) watching the Festival of Lights parade. For running errands during the day (and most other times) I generally dress in blue jeans, a longsleeve shirt and a fleece hoodie and either a pair of sneakers or my Dansko's. I do break out some gloves though because my hands just seem to be more susceptible to the colder temps (could just be my age too ). I find even my kids won't wear their "winter" coat anymore UNLESS they'll be playing outside for extended periods on the rare snow day they may have from school.

I ditto David's sentiment on the ice scraper/brush and LOTS of washer fluid for the vehicles. I keep ice melt on hand too even though I have a north facing driveway it has a horrible incline and if there's snow/ice on it in the mornings or evenings I have difficulty getting my Honda up it.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 PM

11 posts, read 30,748 times
For the baby, especially, layers....and PLEASE, undo layers at a time when shopping with baby in the winter....I'll never understand parents who plop the carrier into a shopping cart, leaving on the afghan, blanket and snowsuit in a warm building, then, after shopping, take the kid back out in the cold with the heavy stuff on and put them in a cold car, then turn the heat on high without unlayering the baby!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver