Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times

Advertisements

Please post your comments for my Aurora photo tour-- Illif Ave here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Nice tour, vegaspilgrim! It's funny to see "home", to see things/places I see on a daily basis on my computer screen instead of from my car.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
That about sums up Aurora - strip malls galore! But you do show the diversity of Aurora as reflected in its stip malls. I think the first picture shows the extended stay hotel I stayed in when I first moved to Denver in '05, waiting on our new house to be completed. I ate at that diner a few times!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Fun post, you even caught the office building I work in! Thanks for the tour!
The one by Parker/Iliff with the big clock on it? I love that building. On one hand it's just another modern office building, but I like the proportions and little design touches, like the glowing clock. There's another building similar to that one by Arapahoe and Yosemite in the Tech Center. One of the reasons I included those shots was to show that Aurora is not strictly a bedroom community; many people actually work in Aurora too. Also, if you look carefully one of my photos was of a brand new new-urbanist style condo development called "Iliff Place," right by Iliff and Xanadu Wy. When the Fastracks project expands the light rail up I-225, that development will be walking distance to a future light rail station. My photo tour also shows the folly of deriding all strip malls as bland, generic chains. As my photos show, some of those old strip malls in Aurora are chock full of family-owned, ethnic businesses. A lot of people are completely unaware that the Denver metro area, via Aurora, has a huge Korean population. People on the Phoenix forum thought I was lying to them when I told them Denver actually has more diversity than Phoenix. Now I have a photo tour (and hopefully some more to come) to prove them wrong.

In fact, Iliff Ave in Aurora (and this is only scratching the surface... Parker Rd, Havana, and Colfax offer even more than what I've shown) is a lot more interesting than the 16th st mall in downtown Denver, IMO. Sure, the 16th st mall is a great atmosphere to walk around, people watching, etc, and it's much more asthetically apealling, but it's pretty much all chains with a starbucks on every corner. It's a mile long but only an inch deep. Aurora has plenty of chains too, especially when you get into newer construction, but in some of these older areas it's actually more independent businesses than chains! Ditto for houses-- those four homes I took in a row (in the neighborhood by Overland High School) don't look "cookie cutter" to me; they actually have a lot of character, especially with the full grown landscaping. The other thing I like about Aurora is it's a solid middle-class community. It doesn't have the pretension of a Greenwood Village or a Washington Park/ Cherry Creek North/ Hilltop. Not that Aurora doesn't have problems (it has a SLEW of them), but it deserves a lot more credit than it receives. Aurora also has one of the best central libraries (by Alameda and Chambers) in the state.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 AM

That's interesting about "Iliff Place". I thought it looked quite different by the picture.

Don't forget all the new development over at Fitzsimmons (Anshutz) and the skyline that's grown up over the past 4 years. Still more buildings and lots of redevelopment on Colfax to come. I heard they're re-developing the Buckingham mall too - haven't driven by there lately to see what's going on.

One thing I noticed when I was staying at that hotel on Iliff - the neighborhood to the east looked like almost every house was originally built with solar panels - or maybe it was a builder option. I'd say the houses were built in the late 60s/early 70s and the panels were the old type that stuck way up, but interesting anyway. And that area seemed truly racially diverse - almost evenly divided among white/black/Hispanic families and people.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Great tour, vegaspilgrim. I think it shows a side of Aurora that many people don't know about: its international flavor. Some of your shots reminded me of some of the eastern suburbs I've seen with the strip malls with signs written in Korean.

I think you could do a similar bit on Parker Road, Havana, and Peoria and discover a lot of the same things.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Great tour, vegaspilgrim. I think it shows a side of Aurora that many people don't know about: its international flavor. Some of your shots reminded me of some of the eastern suburbs I've seen with the strip malls with signs written in Korean.

I think you could do a similar bit on Parker Road, Havana, and Peoria and discover a lot of the same things.
Thanks, tfox. I actually have a Parker/Leetsdale tour coming up... as soon as I upload the photos. I promise, this will be the last one for a while. I think this might actually be helpful to a lot of people looking at Denver, because while photos of downtown areas and historic city neighborhoods are a dime a dozen, and can be found all over the internet, a lot of people want to know what the place "really" looks like-- for the masses who live in neither a gentrified historic neighborhood nor a brand new suburbia neighborhood, but rather everything in between-- the old, "inner ring" suburbs. These photo tours are also my future ammo against anyone who claims Denver is not diverse. Stay tuned...

Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 PM

I figure we may as well keep using this comment thread for my new photo tour: Parker Rd/ Leetsdale Dr photo tour, since the themes are pretty similar.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 AM

I've eaten at Emerald Isle and it really is a hidden gem. You almost feel like you're on the beach eating out on the deck overlooking the reservoir!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Pass on Viva Burrito, it really is nothing special. Below average Mexican food, but one of the few places you can find it in the middle of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver