Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 AM

53 posts, read 421,941 times

Advertisements

I never had to use a realtor much less one in another city.
Is there any advice you can give me on find one that is right for me?
I've seen home on some of the realty site but I've been told not to contact the list agent directly because he works for the seller that I need someone who working for me to get the best deal. Is this good advice or does that just mean 2 realtor get paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
When a seller lists a property the listing broker negotiates how much incentive they will get upon successful sale and closing. There is no standard fee.

Our unique business model shares property information in database format among other real estate brokers and offers them cooperation and compensation. The compensation part of the MLS is included in the listing agreement. There is no additional fee. Buyers get their own representation, and they do not have to pay separately for that service.

It is appropriate to interview brokers; ask about their experience, education, do they have a team, how many clients do they currently have under agreement, what is their availalbility...then go to the real estate commissions website and look up licensees by their name and check their disciplinary record. http://eservices.psiexams.com/crec/search.jsp

Last edited by 2bindenver; 01-09-2007 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 AM

226 posts, read 1,369,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAZToCO View Post
I've been told not to contact the list agent directly because he works for the seller that I need someone who working for me to get the best deal. Is this good advice or does that just mean 2 realtor get paid?
Having a Buyer's Agent working for you is always best. If you use the listing agent to buy only one Realtor gets paid, but they get paid double. This is a link to an excellent article about why you should use a Buyer's Agent http://www.naeba.org/buying/why.htm (broken link) [Moderator substituted a generic link for a commercial link. Send a PM to each other for more info.]

Only use a Realtor who specializes in the area you are interested in. Many Realtors feel that they can sell real estate anywhere in Colorado, but in fact they are performing a disservice to their clients because they don’t know the unique characteristics of the neighborhood. If you are looking in numerous areas you may want to use several different agents.

As far as finding a good agent you should start by asking people you know (I would bet that people on this forum could give you a couple of names). If that is not feasible I would search on Yahoo or MSN (Google's results are unreliable) for the City & State of interest and Realtor. You should also interview at least 3 agents who specialize in the area and ask for references. You are hiring someone to perform a very important job, make sure you get the best candidate. If you start working with an agent and you don't feel they are the best fit you should also fire them.

Good luck with your move. What areas are you considering?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-09-2007 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Link change. Commercial links not allowed.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:56 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Think of hiring a Realtor as hiring a project manager or consultant.

A lot of us, Realtors, spend time on this board because we enjoy sharing our knowledge with people like you. And we are hoping to link up with like minded professionals in other areas. Ben is correct, hire an agent to work within the comfort zone of that agent, hire more than one if your initial search covers a lot of ground.

We (all of us) would love it if you contacted us to interview for the job. We do not get paid until you close. And we put ourselves out here on this forum to be publically judged by other c-d posters!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
I agree. same problem here.. we have had two agents on our home that is for sale.. we had an offer this week, but we do not feel it was handled well and we lost it... I will be looking for a new agent, too, but have NO IDEA how to pick a good one... our first was not helpful and did not market our home - the second was a bit better, but he has not been good at communication and I am the type that wants LOTS of updates on every detail.. not a once a month chat.... Where do I even start looking.. AGAIN...

Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 AM

226 posts, read 1,369,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I agree. same problem here.. we have had two agents on our home that is for sale.. we had an offer this week, but we do not feel it was handled well and we lost it... I will be looking for a new agent, too, but have NO IDEA how to pick a good one... our first was not helpful and did not market our home - the second was a bit better, but he has not been good at communication and I am the type that wants LOTS of updates on every detail.. not a once a month chat.... Where do I even start looking.. AGAIN...
The most important decision you make when selling your home is the REALTOR you choose. Be sure to find someone you feel comfortable with. If you don’t feel you can ask questions or go to your REALTOR, you have the wrong person. Your REALTOR should show you research to back up any recommendations. This includes information about recent sales, current listings, and recently expired listings in your neighborhood.

Choose a local REALTOR! When you are selling your home it is crucial that you choose a realtor who specializes in your area. A local Realtor will know your area better than an outsider. They will be seen as a source for people looking to relocate in your neighborhood, and they will get better co-operation from other agents. Many Realtors feel that they can sell real estate anywhere in Colorado, but in fact they are performing a disservice to their clients because they don’t know the unique characteristics of your neighborhood. In today’s competitive market place it is crucial that your realtor knows how to sell prospective buyers on your neighborhood as well as your home. It is likely that any amount you might save by having a friend or relative from outside the area serve as your REALTOR will be lost in their lack of knowledge about your specific local market. It is also possible that your friend’s inability to sell your home may cause irreparable harm to your relationship.

Don’t forget to ask for references from the REALTOR. He or she should be willing to give you names of previous clients. Ask your friends and acquaintances for recommendations, but make your final choice based on your needs. Ask the REALTOR to show you what will be done to market your home. Consider the office and company support available to him or her as well as the initiative and professionalism shown by the individual.

Look for a REALTOR who tells you what he or she knows from experience in your local market, and not what they think you want to hear. Flattery may sometimes get the listing, but it doesn’t sell the home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver