Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorbitz View Post
Oh, I also plan to go back to school, if anyone can tell me where is the main campus of the community college and or major university in the area. What neighborhoods would be in close, convenient proximity? I plan to go back to school for nursing eventually. Otherwise, I don't have a particular thing, such as work that would make me go to one area vs. another. I plan to look for a job after settling in and am not sure what kind of job, so that isn't a factor.

Thanx so much for any help It is very appreciated!!!
I will address the above topic, then add a few words based on my extensive (ha) knowledge of the housing situation for young adults.

If you are serious about going into nursing, get working on it ASAP! It is very hard to get into nursing programs here in Colorado, because there is a shortage of nursing instructors. Wait lists are common. Once you get settled, I would suggest talking to the nursing people at the schools you are interested in. In Denver, that would include the University of Colorado, Metro State College and Regis University, in addition to the community colleges. Strangely, it is harder sometimes to get into the CC programs than it is to get into the bachelors degree programs.

It would help to keep these schools in mind as you look for a place to live. The University of CO program is in Aurora, Metro is at Auraria (downtown), and Regis is in NW Denver. You will also be sent all over the place for clinicals, but they are short in duration, so are not as big a factor. CU will place you in their hospitals for the most part, which are in Aurora.

The area around the University of Denver is nice, but they do not have nursing. However, it's not that far from there to Metro or CU. If you really are into shopping in a big way, Highlands may not be your place, as you'd have to drive to FlatIron Crossing in Broomfield to the closest large mall, (or crosstown to Cherry Creek).

Edit: I just checked the Metro State Page and the nursing programs they offer are for people with either an AA in nursing or a BA/BS in some other field.

Department of Nursing - Metropolitan State College of Denver (http://www.mscd.edu/~nursing/ - broken link)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-07-2008 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: add info about Metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver