Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2007, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 16,803 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am a 20 year old female who is planning on moving to Denver, Colorado in February. One of the apartment complexes I've been considering are the "Renaissance" apartments - they're located at 9110 E. Florida Avenue (zip code 80247), and from the map it looks like the complex is located along Florida Avenue and Parker Road. Does anyone know anything about this area? What neighborhood is it in? How is the area for crime? Is it safe/walkable?

The complex isn't definite so depending on the feedback I will gladly reconsider, so any information (about the area and/or the complex in general) would be GREATLY appreciated

P.S. - I'm so sorry if this question seems silly. I've never been to Denver before (I'm moving there with my boyfriend) and I'm completely clueless as to which neighborhoods I should avoid and which ones I should look into! The safer, the better. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 99,321 times
Just found this site and the poster's question about Florida and The Renaissance got my attention. I'm, single/male/27 living at the Renaissance; moved here June 06 after accepting a new job offer and didn't know a soul.

Renaissance is 50/50, looks nice, good location, management is overall good. Rent to me is fair, $773 for smallest 1 bedroom (775 sq. ft), and a garage outside. Quality of tenants have dropped over the last 3 months. The first 3 months it was perfect, quiet, relaxing. Neighbors across, below, and to the side all moved out for some reason. The last three of six months here has been getting increasingly noisy. People stomping up and down the stairs like elephants, slamming their front doors HARD, and that neglicated dog barking on the balcony. Not sure how to handle these noise issues. Courtesy Patrol is excellent and quickly took care of the sole unruly party at 2a.m. on a tuesday morning. It's a gamble, not the worst tenants ever, but certainly not the best. I'm considering a move out in the summer instead of renewing but would still partly recommend the complex.

Nice having the Albertson's in walking distance. Some shady complexes next door (section 8...) but never had any problems. Feel safe here. Plenty of shopping on Havana and you are close to Glendale and the City. It's a quick ride west on Florida to get to the Cherry Creek Bike Path - I like that.

Any specific questions I'll try to answer for you.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Wow thank you so much! Your response was extremely helpful and I don't know if I can ever thank you enough for it.

Do you know of anyone else in the complex who might have had any problems? I noticed that the Renaissance apartments seemed to get fairly good reviews on Apartmentratings.com (it was within the top 15 of Denver), but I just discovered the site tonight and I was a little unsettled by one review, which mentioned a woman who was raped in the complex after she left her doors unlocked - although it was over a year ago.

I understand that Denver is a very big city and that crime happens everywhere, especially if you don't take extra precautions (I myself am moving from Sioux Falls, South Dakota and we even have higher rape statistics here!). However, I was just wondering if any other women in the complex have had problems, or if you had ever talked to any other females who felt unsafe? I'm sorry for asking such a broad question, but you're the only person I've encountered who has actually lived at the Renaissance so I was curious to see if you knew the general opinion that the other residents had about the complex as well.

Also, are there ever any resident activities or get-togethers? I won't know anyone else in Denver either (aside from my boyfriend of five years, who is living in another complex for commute reasons) so it would be nice if I could get to know my neighbors. Although hopefully there will be some better tenants if I decide to move in!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 PM

I read apartmentratings.com from time to time although have not posted a review for the Renaissance. From my experience with other complexes the postings are generally true. Although who can get much information out of "management sucks, worst ever, avoid"? I heard about the rape incident and that could probably happen anywhere, anytime. Good advice for anyone to always use the deadbolt locks everytime even if inside for just a minute. All units have security systems although I don't know the price for monitored service. I recall a month or two ago notices on doors regarding car breakins. I rent a garage for $60/month and rest easy everynight knowing my car is safe, not to mention the extra storage space. Easily worth the price especially with the snowy/freezing weather we have had lately.

Complex definitely lacks social activities. There was some kind of summer party out by the pool in August but I was out of town. I haven't had much interaction with neighbors so I do not know their thoughts on safety, the area, noise, etc.

Maybe another reader will see this in the near future and can give you some answers. Happy to answer any other questions about the area you might have. I know from experience it is both fun and scary moving to a city you know nothing about.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 136,501 times
I definately second the advice on renting a garage. It's worth every penny!

We looked at the Renaissance. It seemed nice. The apartments where smaller than the apartment that we ended up taking. (closer to Mississippi & Havana Ave) I would also look into the Covington at Cherry Creek. The staff was very friendly & the apartments were decent.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response! I had to go out of town for a few days and unfortunately I didn't have my beloved internet with me.

Thank you so much for the advice about renting a garage, I will definitely do that! How was the snow removal during the big blizzard? I'm not picky at all when it comes to that sort of thing since my boyfriend's old complex had a "barely there" snow removal policy and I'm used to having to shovel myself out (living in South Dakota and all), but if there's too much snow then sometimes I have a little bit of trouble. I'm not that strong so that's why I was wondering if the snow removal was decent?

Also, I see from certain website(s) that they allow dogs - are there breed restrictions? I do have a dog here but unfortunately I won't be able to move her to Denver with me since she is so old and my mom would prefer to have her there for company, but I would love to get a puppy in Denver. I'm a larger-dog kind of girl though, so that's why I was wondering if there were any breed/weight restrictions.

Oh! One more thing. This has been confusing the heck out of me, but are the Renaissance apartments technically in Denver or Aurora? The address/zip code says Denver and it wasn't listed under Aurora in the apartment guide I have, but I heard one person the other day refer to it as being in Aurora and it really confused me.

Overall though, I think I'm definitely going to give the Renaissance a shot. I've heard mainly good things about it and I think it would be a nice starter apartment for me, since I've never lived on my own before (just in a dorm). Although, I'm still open to any feedback/advice/experiences, so if anyone stumbles upon this post later on and wants to give their input then that would be great too. Thank you so much for your kind words and all of your advice - I was extremely stressed out and frustrated over making such a big big transition and you all have definitely made it easier. Take care!!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 PM

I'll answer the question before heading to sleep...

Renaissance is located in Denver, but Arapahoe county. So you'll have to travel into Aurora to get your driver's license and car registration taken care of if you own. Exact address here is 9100 E. Florida Avenue, Denver 80247. I was confused by both the street address and zip before moving into the complex as well. Your mailbox number will not match your apt. number...it's confusing too.

Don't know about dogs. I'm thankful to be dog free especially with the snow and sub freezing temperatures. Nothing worse then having to step out at 10:00 p.m. when it's 10 degrees out. I know the complex is really cracking down and warning residents to clean up after their pets recently.

Snow removal was so-so. Since I'm new here I can't compare with other complexes and businesses with this volume of snow. Walkways were cleared but not too wide...same with the road and parking lot. Some parts 100% clear while others still iced over with nasty ruts formed but I have been able to drive my honda car through it without too much difficulty. Some parts are worse than other, saw a tow truck get stuck on a sheet of ice last weekend.

I spoke to the management about "not too loud but still plenty audible bass player at 7 am and 10 pm neighbor" and they appeared interested in helping. Pretty contrary to a posting on apartmentratings.com. If you don't move here, consider the covington on Iliff nearby. I considered in the past and may move there in the future.... Feel free to stop by if you move into Building #9 at the Renaissance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver