Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 AM

43 posts, read 153,413 times

Advertisements

Hi - thanks for such a great forum. Are there neighborhoods (safe; good schools; affordable - if such a thing exists; good transport) that are between Boulder and Denver. My husband is applying for a Boulder position but our family is more accustomed to urban living and of course more possible job prospects for me. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
yes. no. maybe.
define:
safe
good schools
affordable
good transport

Old 10-25-2008, 02:20 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMMOM View Post
Hi - thanks for such a great forum. Are there neighborhoods (safe; good schools; affordable - if such a thing exists; good transport) that are between Boulder and Denver. My husband is applying for a Boulder position but our family is more accustomed to urban living and of course more possible job prospects for me. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
You may have the wrong impression but many areas of Boulder are very urban. It is very dense small city with heavy auto traffic. Boulder, many decades ago, put a restriction on growth and surrounded some of the city with open space. Consequently growth has become extremely dense and expensive in the city. It is also home to a very large university and that adds tremedously to the population density with many young people who drive too fast. I have found that there are areas near Downtown Denver that are less Dense and with less traffic than some areas of Boulder.

The advantage of the compactness of Boulder is, like many urban cities, it has developed good public transit. So in the core part of Boulder, you can easily live without a car and it has excellent bus transit to Denver.

I know that Boulder tries to give the impression that it is a liberal mountain village with parks and open space. Yes, it is true, it has many nice parks, and great open space surrounding the city; especially to the west toward the mountains. However, it is not in the mountains--it butts up and includes some foothills but mostly it sits on the plains. There are many areas that are in the Canyons with a Boulder address but these areas are mostly unicorporated Boulder County and rural.

So the answer if you are into urban living then Boulder may be your thing. There are other areas in Boulder, particularly in the Gunbarrel area, along the Diagonal to Longmont, and east Boulder but they are suburban.

Many people live in Boulder and commute to Denver for jobs and many people go the opposite way. The connection from Boulder to Downtown Denver is very convenient and frequent on public transit.
You can live in Boulder for your husband job and you can widen your search for a commuting job in Boulder; or, you can live cheaper (some areas), in the urban core of Denver and your husband can commute to Boulder.

I would exclude any cities between Boulder and Denver because none of them are define as urban environments and consequently lack the better public transit and walkable amenities you will see in an urban center. There are some areas in old towns of Louisville, Lafayette and Longmont that can be considered a little urban and do have good transit into Boulder and you may consider them but job prospects are less.

All depends on what part of Boulder, your husband is going to work, some are not as good for public transit.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-25-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
yes. no. maybe.
define:
safe
good schools
affordable
good transport
I believe I've found a starting point in Broomfield or Westminster. Thank you anyway.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You may have the wrong impression but many areas of Boulder are very urban. It is very dense small city with heavy auto traffic. Boulder, many decades ago, put a restriction on growth and surrounded some of the city with open space. Consequently growth has become extremely dense and expensive in the city. It is also home to a very large university and that adds tremedously to the population density with many young people who drive too fast.

The advantage of the compactness of Boulder is, like many urban cities, it has developed good public transit. So in the core part of Boulder, you can easily live without a car and it has excellent bus transit to Denver.

I know that Boulder tries to give the impression that it is a liberal mountain village with parks and open space. Yes, it is true, it has many nice parks, and great open space surrounding the city; especially to the west toward the mountains. However, it is not in the mountains--it butts up and includes some foothills but mostly it sits on the plains. There are many areas that are in the Canyons with a Boulder address but these areas are mostly unicorporated Boulder County and rural.

So the answer if you are into urban living then Boulder may be your thing. In addition, there are other areas in Boulder, particularly in the Gunbarrel area, along the Diagonal to Longmont, and east Boulder that are surburban.

Many people live in Boulder and commute to Denver for jobs and many people go the opposite way. The connection from Boulder to Downtown Denver is very convenient and frequent on public transit.
You can live in Boulder for your husband job and you can widen your search for a commuting job in Boulder. Or, you can live cheaper, some areas, in the urban core of Denver and your husband can commute to Boulder.

I would exclude any cities between Boulder and Denver because none of them are define as urban environments and consequently lack the better public transit and walkable amenities you will see in an urban center. There are some areas in old towns of Louisville, Lafayette and Longmont that can be considered a little urban and do have good transit into Boulder and you may consider them.

Livecontent
This really helps. I guess when I say urban - I'd like at least access - if that makes any sense. The reason I'm looking at communities between the two (Boulder/Denver) is we know at least a few people in Denver. And I may have better job prospects in a larger area as opposed to Boulder - I could be wrong but just assumed there would be a wider variety of options. Will continue to research. Thanks so much!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMMOM View Post
This really helps. I guess when I say urban - I'd like at least access - if that makes any sense. The reason I'm looking at communities between the two (Boulder/Denver) is we know at least a few people in Denver. And I may have better job prospects in a larger area as opposed to Boulder - I could be wrong but just assumed there would be a wider variety of options. Will continue to research. Thanks so much!
I think you are correct in your assessment of job possiblities in Denver v. Boulder, and it takes the better part of an hour to get between the two. Louisville is an old mining town turned suburb, it has an "old town" that is quaint. Ditto Lafayette. Both have lots of new housing as well. Both have good public transit, both to Boulder and to Denver. One generally doesn't have to walk too far to a bus stop, even in the newer areas. They don't get you much closer to Denver, though.

If I were looking for something "in between", I might go with Broomfield. Very suburban but it has a nice sense of community, with a lot of cooperation between the city and the schools.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think you are correct in your assessment of job possiblities in Denver v. Boulder, and it takes the better part of an hour to get between the two. Louisville is an old mining town turned suburb, it has an "old town" that is quaint. Ditto Lafayette. Both have lots of new housing as well. Both have good public transit, both to Boulder and to Denver. One generally doesn't have to walk too far to a bus stop, even in the newer areas. They don't get you much closer to Denver, though.

If I were looking for something "in between", I might go with Broomfield. Very suburban but it has a nice sense of community, with a lot of cooperation between the city and the schools.
Just saw your reply Katiana - thank you. I'm checking out Broomfield. Thanks again for everyone.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
There are lots of neighborhoods that would suit your criteria (although the urban aspect, not so much), to make specific suggestions what is your price range/rent range? Without knowing that, I would agree with the Broomfield suggestion but also parts of Westminster. My neighborhood, Bradburn Village, has an urban feel (mixed-use/walkable) with the benefits of excellent public schools, safety, and an ideal location between Boulder and Denver (20 minutes to each, longer in rush hour for Denver though great park n rides close so you can take bus to either, many people here do that). Is on 120th between Federal and Sheridan in Westminster. Neighborhood is hyper social though and filled with kids so if you don't want to ever speak to your neighbors or see/hear packs of kids running about, wouldn't be a good fit. We have townhomes, single family, live/work, and soon to be condos. Prices range all over the map from 200s to over 1 mil (single family homes range from 300-1 mil). There's plenty of rental opportunities as well.

Last edited by Bradburn1; 10-26-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
There are lots of neighborhoods that would suit your criteria (although the urban aspect, not so much), to make specific suggestions what is your price range/rent range? Without knowing that, I would agree with the Broomfield suggestion but also parts of Westminster. My neighborhood, Bradburn Village, has an urban feel (mixed-use/walkable) with the benefits of excellent public schools, safety, and an ideal location between Boulder and Denver (20 minutes to each, longer in rush hour for Denver though great park n rides close so you can take bus to either, many people here do that). Is on 120th between Federal and Sheridan in Westminster. Neighborhood is hyper social though and filled with kids so if you don't want to ever speak to your neighbors or see/hear packs of kids running about, wouldn't be a good fit. We have townhomes, single family, live/work, and soon to be condos. Prices range all over the map from 200s to over 1 mil (single family homes range from 300-1 mil). There's plenty of rental opportunities as well.

Wow! Your neighborhood sounds great. Thanks. House prices on the lower end would be our preference and the more kids the better. I'll look this up. Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver