Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM

426 posts, read 791,823 times

Advertisements

My friend and I will be going to Denver January 3rd through January 10th for my big 30th birthday. I was wanting to go snowboarding at some of the resorts, but my question is what other stuff is there to do for 2 girls in Denver for a week?

Thank you all for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:41 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
there is little snowboarding to be had in Denver. Try some mountain towns. Try some hot springs. Try some snow shoeing, x-country skiing, shopping (even some window shopping) try some clubbing.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 PM

92 posts, read 365,986 times
If you're leaving on the 10th, you'll just miss the National Western Stock Show, unfortunately. But if your flight leaves late in the day, you could attend a couple of opening day events. I see on their website that they've got a 4-H/FFA livestock judging contest starting at 8am and a poultry judging at 11am. There are also some pre-opening day events, but i don't know how interesting Team Rope slacking or a wool show judging would be to anyone not already interested in such things.

I mention the Stock Show for a couple of reasons. First, it's definitely something different that most towns don't have, and it's the big event in Denver that time of year. Also, I attended the Paris equivalent while i was there and had a ball, but then i admit to having peculiar notions about tourism. I discovered that putting people in front of cute animals makes them terribly vulnerable and very apt to engage in conversation.

As 2bindenver noted, there's not much snowboarding in Denver itself, but if you're looking for other things to do, I'd suggest looking at westword.com and denver.org/events as you get closer to your departure date. both sites have listings for events. Westword would definitely be better than the Denver website for clubbing and the music scene.

Hope you have a great stay in CO, wherever you decide to spend most of your time!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM

355 posts, read 555,263 times
Shopping on 16th street is an option, but you can do that anywhere. Winter Park or Breckenridge/Silverthorne aren't too far away if you want to snowboard. Loveland is closer, but not as developed. There are some good bars downtown. In what Part of town are you going to be? There is the big art museum and other museums if you like museums. You might want to take a look at red rocks. Even if you don't goto a concert it is worth seeing.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM

426 posts, read 791,823 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. We'll be staying at the Ramada Inn downtown. I know I'll have to drive out of Denver for some snowboarding, but that's ok. The red rocks are a plus even without a concert? I'll be sure to stop there...also is Boulder worth a day trip? What bars are good in downtown. More into the dive bar (juke box, pool playing, can talk to people type of place) but like the occational dance place.

Thanks again

Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
You could try and catch a hockey, basketball, or football game

Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I would suggest that you look into the Denver Center for Performing Arts.
The Denver Center For Performing Arts : Welcome

Since you are staying Downtown, it will be very convenient. The last performance of the Jersey Boys is on Jan 3, at 2 and 8 PM, depending when you get in the city. In addition, the following week is Oprah Winfrey's The Color Purple, a musical.

The DCPA is one of the largest entertainment complexes in the country.

Livecontent

Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Breckenridge would be a good spot if you wanted some winter activities. It's a good central location for some of the other resorts in the area if you wanted to check out more than one mountain. Breck's downtown is fun as well. Plenty of local bars/restaurants and shopping.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,438 times
Here's a good linky for D Town
Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM

355 posts, read 555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. We'll be staying at the Ramada Inn downtown. I know I'll have to drive out of Denver for some snowboarding, but that's ok. The red rocks are a plus even without a concert? I'll be sure to stop there...also is Boulder worth a day trip? What bars are good in downtown. More into the dive bar (juke box, pool playing, can talk to people type of place) but like the occational dance place.

Thanks again
Market street has both clubs and bars. There is a little something for everyone. Boulder is worth a day trip so is Estes Park. Estes Park is worth an overnighter if you can. That is where the famous hotel from the book by Stephen King The Shining is and also the movie with Jack Nicholson. The Stanley Hotel is beautiful and worth seeing. Go to tea at the Brown Palace downtown. I don't know if you need a reservation. They serve high tea every afternoon. The Art Museum is worth a trip. Red Rocks is worth seeing without the concert, and you can have dinner at the Fort restaurant. Expensive, but worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver