Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Louisville is not exurban
It is the definition of exurban in relation to Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
How about to Boulder?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I clocked it today; it is actualy 3.5 miles from the western edge of Louisville to the eastern edge of Boulder via S. Boulder Rd/Table Mesa Drive. Most people in Louisville do not work in Denver. They DO work in Boulder, Broomfield, Golden, etc. Lots used to work in Louisville itself at StorageTek, and many still do work there at Cable Labs, etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,117 times
So you managed to interview all 20,000 people in Louisville today? Impressive. More impressive is expanding the city of Louisville and the county of Boulder to make them magically closer to one another. Bravo. There are simply not enough jobs in hippie-town to support an exurb the size of Louisville. There are however enough people willing to drive until they qualify who work in Denver to support Louisville.

Is StorageTek even still around? Do they actually have more than 3 people keeping the lights on there? Level3? Same deal. Sun? Empty parking lots. Cable Labs? Seriously .... The tech in that area has been dead for more than a few years.

Anyhow, and again, Louisville is an exurb true to the definition. Seriously, look it up.

Quote:
How about to Boulder?
Boulder is not big enough to rank an exurb; but if it was Longmont would be the closest qualifier if you juked the definition a bit.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
So you managed to interview all 20,000 people in Louisville today? Impressive. More impressive is expanding the city of Louisville and the county of Boulder to make them magically closer to one another. Bravo. There are simply not enough jobs in hippie-town to support an exurb the size of Louisville. There are however enough people willing to drive until they qualify who work in Denver to support Louisville.

Is StorageTek even still around? Do they actually have more than 3 people keeping the lights on there? Level3? Same deal. Sun? Empty parking lots. Cable Labs? Seriously .... The tech in that area has been dead for more than a few years.

Anyhow, and again, Louisville is an exurb true to the definition. Seriously, look it up.

Boulder is not big enough to rank an exurb; but if it was Longmont would be the closest qualifier if you juked the definition a bit.
I clocked that with my own speedometer. You don't have to believe it, but it's true anyway. Come up here some time and do it yourself. Or get out a map. Locate the intersection of McCaslin Blvd. and S. Boulder Rd. That is the western boundary of Louisville. Now find the scale of miles. Then locate the intersection of 55th St. and S. Boulder Rd. (may be listed as Table Mesa Dr, the name changes along there somewhere). That is the eastern boundary of Boulder. There is a sign there that says "Welcome to Boulder". Measure the distance. 3.5 miles.

No, I didn't interview everyone in Louisville. I have, however, lived here since 1982; I've followed local government for the League of Women Voters and I have raised a family here. I read the local papers. YOU don't have to believe me, but I know what I"m talking about when I say many people in Lousiville work in Boulder, Broomfield and Golden.

A.Word.A.Day --exurb

Quote:
MEANING:
noun: A residential area outside a city and beyond its suburbs, typically inhabited by well-to-do families.
Yes, 3.5 miles is way beyond the city. WAAAYY out there! Why, I have cattle grazing in my back yard! Why would it be Longmont and not Louisville that is the exurb? Longmont is a city of 71,000 people! Yeah, if you "juked" the definition. To fit what you want it to be! Even if you call Louisville a suburb of Denver, which it sort of is and sort of isn't, 25 miles, which yes, I have checked, is not outrageous, especially since there is contiguous devleopement from there the whole way in to Denver.

No, StorageTek is gone. That is why I wrote about it IN THE PAST. Sun downsized (not folded) this summer, not 3 years ago.

PS: Drive until you qualify? Housing in Louisville is about the same price as Boulder. Check it out. You're thinking of somewhere else if you talking about drive till you qualify.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-20-2008 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 AM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post

I talked to 17,000 Louisville residents last night. They told me that because Boulder has strict residential growth limits, much of the growth of the city must occur just outside of its immediate boundaries. They also recommended when I look up the definition of 'exurb' that I use The New Oxford American Dictionary and not Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM

^^^LOL! According to this webpage on City-Data, 76.1% of workers in Louisville work in Boulder County.

//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...-Colorado.html

As for travel time to work, I took the time to add up all the numbers, and found that 76% drive 29 minutes or less to work. About 14% drive 35 minutes or longer.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz02 View Post
Google maps default directions are to take 36 to I76 to I70, but your route seems better. If I take Hwy93 should I jump on 6 to I70 or take Hwy93 down to I70.
I'd take 93/6 to Heritage Road, which leads directly to I-70. You can take 6, I think (they've re-worked that interchange so many times,) but I don't think it'd be the fastest way.

Another option: You can also take the canyon (which is also numbered 6) up to rejoin I-70 east of Idaho Springs -- it's only slightly slower (if at all) than taking I-70 and has different scenery.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Trying to help set it straight:

Boulder is a city, for all intents and purposes cannot be called a suburb or exurb of anywhere.

Louisville is a suburb, either of Boulder, Denver, or other suburbs such as Broomfield, so take your pick. I will pick Boulder, however, because of Katiana's stat about Louisville residents' place of work.

Longmont is a city or town. It's not a suburb of either Denver or Boulder, nor is it an exurb. Though, I'm sure there are plenty of people from there that help jam up I-25 and make that ridiculous commute.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Longmont is a city or town. It's not a suburb of either Denver or Boulder, nor is it an exurb. Though, I'm sure there are plenty of people from there that help jam up I-25 and make that ridiculous commute.
Actually, I think more of them jam up the Diagonal and 287. The diagonal is jammed solid going southwest in the morning and back northeast in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver