Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times

Advertisements

We are tired of the burbs and we are moving back to the area and want to consider living closer to downtown. We do have kids and we want a nice area any neighborhood ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:49 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
There are a lot of nice neighborhoods close to downtown. A lot will depend on your price range. What kind of houses do you like? What other things are you looking for in your neighborhood? Will your kids be attending public schools?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:55 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We are tired of the burbs and we are moving back to the area and want to consider living closer to downtown. We do have kids and we want a nice area any neighborhood ideas? Thanks
Nice to see on the boards Nea1! God I've missed you sooo much.:'-)

Old 11-08-2008, 12:42 PM

355 posts, read 555,121 times
What are you looking for as far as size and price? Do you prefer a certain style ie; victorian, mid century, newer? How close you want to be to work?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 PM

164 posts, read 596,191 times
Just going off of nothing as far as preferences go, I'd say stay away from north and east of downtown for sure and probably west as well.....maybe south/southwest is a better bet. The farther out you get the more options you have, but I'd say that anything within 1 mile of the 16th street mall in any direction isn't really a good place to raise a kid if it isn't mandatory.
Don't get me wrong, near downtown is fine but as a long-term solution it doesn't fit the traditional definition of house and kid(s)......good luck with the search.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
Quote:
Just going off of nothing as far as preferences go, I'd say stay away from north and east of downtown for sure and probably west as well.....maybe south/southwest is a better bet. The farther out you get the more options you have, but I'd say that anything within 1 mile of the 16th street mall in any direction isn't really a good place to raise a kid if it isn't mandatory.
Don't get me wrong, near downtown is fine but as a long-term solution it doesn't fit the traditional definition of house and kid(s)......good luck with the search.
Ignore that entire post; there are areas all around the metro that are fantastic.

Until a response is given with the aformentioned questions it is tough to nail down a list of specific areas.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Default Downtown

We will be renting at first. Our kids will be in public schools and we like older homes but the area needs to be kept up but doesnt need to be fancy. We like parks and walking to things. Driving to work is not a worry his work is all over the area.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:08 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
How close to downtown? Do you want to be within walking distance or driving distance?

If you say "walking distance," I think your best bet would be East Highland. With the new bridge there, it's a pretty easy walk to downtown. East Highland has become quite safe by Denver standards, so old stereotypes about crime don't really apply there any more. And, there are a surprising number of kids in East Highland, though there are more in West Highland. The problem would be schools, of course -- although there are a couple of decent elementary schools (Academia Sandoval being one). High School is screaming "reform" there, and likely North will be broken up and closed eventually.

Barring East Highland, I might also mention the Governor's Park area -- it might be okay though it's mostly condos there, and not so many kids. Rent is quite reasonable there, however. It's also stretching the definition of "walking distance," but it's still doable.

If walking distance is not a factor, then there are a number of options where there are some great schools. I'd look to the southeast. Congress Park, Hilltop (expensive), Country Club (expensive), Alamo Placita, Washington Park, Bonnie Brae (expensive), Cory-Merrill, Platt Park are all good options. It's a misconception that DPS schools are all bad; in these areas mentioned there are some great schools. These areas roughly correspond to the "old money" section of Denver, so back even in the bad old days of urban decay and white flight, these schools were kept up.

If your kids are going into high school, I would shoot for East as opposed to South, however, though my perception from parents is that South is underrated. I'd say your preference should be East, then GW, then South. Of course, much better than any of them would be the charter DSST or the magnet DSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: