Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,646 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Denver from New Orleans. Our daughter will be 5 on September 4th. Will she qualify for kindergarten? If not what options are there for pre-K (as she has been in a pre-K program here). Also my husband will be attending DU. What are the schools like near there or near Lakewood. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 AM

530 posts, read 2,626,090 times
Hi nawlins, my family and I moved from NO last June! You will absolutely love it here, there is no comparison. I will try to answer your questions as best as I can. We have an 11yo daughter with special needs and a typical 13yo son. In NO our son had to go to St Martins for a good education, but here he is in public school and loves it. We live in Louisville in Boulder County and our daughter goes to a public school in Boulder. Her special ed teacher has a PhD!! We didn't have that in our Jeffeson Parish schools. I will try to find out about pre-k for you. My wife knows more than I do. If you like, you can send me a private message by clicking on my name on this post. I can fill you in on the transition from NO to Den. You can contact and look up the school districts online. I will be out of town for a few days, we're taking the family to Steamboat for spring break, so if you don't hear from me, don't be discouraged. You will love your new home.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,881 times
I live near DU so I'll try and answer. I've heard good things about Steele (neighborhood school for Wash Park) Pre-K program and have some friends enrolling. THe other good school near DU is Cory- really it depends on the neighborhood you'd be in. I have no idea about Lakewood, it is about 20 min commute to DU (not bad but I know the public schools aren't the greatest out there, although I'm sure there are pockets). We've been avidly involved in the private school enrollment process for Pre-K and all I have to say at this point, is YIKES! The competition is incredible, we got in nowhere we applied- for one of the good private schools there were 3 available slots for Pre-K and at least 200 applicants. I can't even believe the competition out here for private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver