Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times

Advertisements

be careful of snow on the way to vegas as well. you can experience bad conditions in the cajon pass and in the mtn pass outside of stateline/jean. ive been snowed into vegas before because of road closures on the 15 in that area. make sure you check the weather the week of just to be sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
In a 4cyl car....would it be wiser to take the northern route I70 or come through Colorado Springs from Sante Fe?
Take the southern route.

I drove from Denver back to LA last Sunday, right before they closed 70. It was awful. We were worried that our 4 cyl was going to get stuck, and I've had a lot of experience driving in snow, and through the mountains. There are no guarantees that the southern route will be perfect, but it will be a lot less stressful that the 70.

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
The number of cylinders your car has will have ZERO bearing on which route to take.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Take the Southern Route (i25). If you have never seen the Grand Canyon, this is your opportunity. Santa Fe is also fun to check out.

I've ran into some heavy snow right outside Vegas (in Arizona, before Kingman) and also in sourthern Colorado (Trinidad area). No gaurantees! But a road trip is sure fun!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,191 times
I am driving from LAX to Colorado Springs at the end of January- I got quotes $2000 to fly the dogs there- and after already having flown from Australia (for $3000!) I figured id rather drive- take our time- lots of stops on the way. Am I crazy? I thought about renting an RV- incase we get snowed in:-) - but I imagine they are harder to manage- so will renting a car or jeep - what would anyone suggest? It will be just me, my 12 year old and two dogs. I dont care how long it takes- we arent in a rush- just want the best route driving wise- if its bad snow. Many thanks for any advice Em

Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Definitely drive. It will be fun and you'll get to see some great stuff. I would go the Southern route. So you will get to see Las Vegas, the Hoover Dam, and then the Grand Canyon. It will take you through New Mexico, so you go through Albuquerque (not very exciting) and Santa Fe (pretty cool).

I would see if you can rent a Subaru Impreza. It has great AWD and will get around 27MPG on the highway.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Okay, I really want to check out Denver because I want to see if I like it.
I just got a spur of the moment chill, and googled the distance...1100 miles, 15 hrs...in my car that is 3 tanks...figuring $20/tank on current gas prices. I could swing $120-150 on gas for a trip for me and my girl. Just scored 5 days in vegas for $280 total

It would be from Xmas night, or early on the 26th of December, and perhaps coming back late Sat. nite or early Sun morning. Am I crazy? 2 days?

Otherwise if I ask for days off work, I am already getting wednesday the 30th off to go to Vegas for New Years...I could possibly get Mon and Tue off and stay in Denver until Tuesday.

Would I need chains? Never driving in snow, should I go through Vegas, Utah, Grand Junction, or Flagstaff, Sante Fe?

Where would be a good place to stay? Cheap, downtown, not too ghetto. So far I've found Hyatt Regency for $150/2 nights, or Grand Hyatt for same price, or Sheraton Downtown for $160/2nights, Comfort Inn Suites $120/2 nights....they sound ok.

We'd be driving a new civic out there. Keep in mind we'd want to leave Xmas day, well night time...and I've never driven this route.
A couple days is unlikely to give you a real indication as to whether or not you like Denver. The Hyatts are both nice as is the Sheraton. Will add more later!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:17 PM

The OP's post is almost 2 years old......lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver