Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,551 times

Advertisements

I'm considering Nashville and Denver with similar thoughts in mind. Both are comparable in terms of cost of homes and professional opportunities, though Nashville is a bit smaller (about 1.5 million in the metro area as opposed to 2.5 million in Denver). You have a large medical community based there with Vanderbilt.

There are some nice outdoor-type areas around Nashville, as well. It's not the Rocky Mountains, but you have some very beautiful sites in Rock Island and Big South Fork around Nashville. The Smokies are a nice weekend camping trip away. You'll get some warm weather in the southern months, but it's not going to be as oppressive as San Antonio. Winters are mild. Warm weather usually extends into October and occasionally November.

I'd guess crime would be a bit lower in Nashville than San Antonio and the schools a bit better, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,404 times
Good luck whereever you move. We live in Madera, I work in Fresno. We're chomping at the bit to get out of California, even though I'm a 4th generation native. We're looking at Kerrville, TX. Its in the Hill Country. Check it out.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Saying Denver is liberal is pushing it. Maybe compared to San Antonio. We saw a swing year this past year in many parts of the country. The pendulum, I would guess, will eventually swing back.

In the 2004 elections, Douglas, Arapahoe, and Jefferson Counties all went to Bush. Kerry took Denver County and barely took Adams County.
Since I have been around, Denver has almost always voted Democatic. Recent Democrat Mayors we have had - Pena (Hispanic), Webb (Black), Hickenloop. Wolfe Londoner became the city's first Jewish mayor in 1889. Thomas G. Currigan became Denver's first Catholic mayor in 1963, followed in 1969 by another Irish Catholic, William H. Cinches, Jr. Deep history of being a democratic city.

Great read on our history - http://www.umaitech.com/portfolio/Suffrage_in_Colorado.pdf

Governor positions swing back and forth, currently democratic, but not much swing with the position of Mayor of Denver. The burbs are another story.

Historically, article can be found about having democratic governors and mayor at the same time - ROOSEVELT IN 1912 THE CRY IN DENVER; Democratic Governor of Colorado a... - Article Preview - The New York Times

Molly Brown was a huge advocate for women and children's rights and one of our democratic citizens who fought locally and internationally for workers rights. She would fit right in on Capitol Hill in her own home even today.

Margaret Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM

21 posts, read 43,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
One thing about San Antonio - it's always mention as being the whatever largest city in the country, but it's by far smaller than Denver when you compare metro areas. The Denver metro area is, I believe, close to a million more people than metro S.A. S.A.'s city limits emcompass most of the suburburban neighborhoods, whereas Denver has many individual cities.
Good point. SA really doesn't feel like a big metro area. There are very few suburbs, and most of the population is apparently accounted for under SA city limits (guess they annexed a lot of ground). Denver has the feel of a much more important, vibrant city.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker02 View Post
Good point. SA really doesn't feel like a big metro area. There are very few suburbs, and most of the population is apparently accounted for under SA city limits (guess they annexed a lot of ground). Denver has the feel of a much more important, vibrant city.
And yet ironically there are still plenty of people that think Denver is an insignificant "cowtown," "small," not a "real city" despite everything it has. The "feel" of anywhere is totally subjective.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:32 AM

11 posts, read 31,289 times
I'm not sure why people say 7-8 months of oppressive heat. I've lived in San Antonio 4 years now, plus the 18 years I grew up here. Houston - sure - it's humid and hot almost all year.

You generally start getting into the 90's in mid-May. July, August and even part of September are really hot FOR SURE.... hot enough that I keep the kids in the afternoons. We generally start to cool toward the end of September, but cooler weather doesn't usually hit till mid-October.

San Antonio is not nearly as outdoorsy as Denver. If you like Texas and want more outdoors - Austin or Dallas is better. Austin is pretty liberal, so you may not like that. Dallas is much more conservative than San Antonio or Austin, and there's a bit more to do outdoors - ie: lakes in town, bike trails, urban outdoor activity, etc.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:36 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyda2000 View Post
Hi my husband and I are living in Fresno, CA and are looking for a new city to move to. We have lived in Fresno for 4 years and did not realize that it is one of the most impoverished areas of the country. We like outdoor activities and decent weather. We are both in sales(pharma and general) and need good jobs and decent home prices. We don't have kids yet but would like to live in a nice area that is generally conservative. Any suggestions or things to be aware of?
Well you missed a couple places in between, Austin, TX and Colorado Springs, CO comes to mind.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,661 times
Quote:
I'm considering Nashville and Denver with similar thoughts in mind. Both are comparable in terms of cost of homes and professional opportunities, though Nashville is a bit smaller (about 1.5 million in the metro area as opposed to 2.5 million in Denver).
Actually Nashville (currently #3 on my top 5 places to retire list) has cheaper housing than Denver (currently #1 on my list). Nashville offers a decent portion of the amenities Denver does, but on a smaller scale. Specifically I mean bike trails, pro sports, arts & entertainment, lake recreation (is actually on a LARGER scale than Denver), lifestyle center/outdoor shopping, a riverfront park, scenic countryside, downtown activities. The extra 1 million people Denver currently has means more of those things and also more diversity of restaurant offerings, particularly ethnic varieties. But Nashville is steadily growing with a lot of Californian transplant help, so that could very well change.

Anyway, as far as Denver vs. San Antonio, San Antonio has the best commercial riverwalk in the nation, but as far as recreation and outdoor activites, there is no contest, Denver is by far the better choice. Same for restaurant variety. I actually prefer Dallas and Austin to San Antonio for the outdoors/recreation available. But all 3 get oppressively hot for a good chunk of the year.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 AM

195 posts, read 794,221 times
Default I'm not going to offer the best advice....

But my thinking on choosing between two different cities boils down to where do you really want to be? Your heart and intuition will tell you.

I'm one of those people who tries to maintain a good work/life balance. I work to feed my recreational addictions, so it is really important what recreational opportunities an area offers. For me, Denver wins hands down.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM

351 posts, read 649,663 times
Quote:
Saying Denver is liberal is pushing it. Maybe compared to San Antonio. We saw a swing year this past year in many parts of the country. The pendulum, I would guess, will eventually swing back.

In the 2004 elections, Douglas, Arapahoe, Broomfield and Jefferson Counties all went to Bush. Kerry took Denver County and barely took Adams County. So pretty much an inner city surrounded by conservative suburbs. And so the pendulum swings...
Bingo. The city of Denver has always been known to be fairly liberal while the suburbs are generally conservative. Some areas of Denver are more conservative and some parts of suburbia are more liberal--but the metro area taken as a whole is hardly "liberal."

I think San Antonio and Denver are both great cities. I would suggest SA only because the economy is in much better shape. But everything else is a draw.

Then again, we have mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver