Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM

12 posts, read 31,025 times

Advertisements

I actually did try to contact the HOAs a while back, but did not get any replies, then I tried to sign up for the HOA blog, but was turned down because I was not a resident, which I understand. The realtor did give me a copy of the covenent 12 months ago, which I left at home, but all I remembered from it was landscaping rules and keep your fence in good repair. I did not mean to cause any issues here. I think the rules are fine. As I drive around WC more I see additions and fences people have put on, so as long as it conforms, it appears to be accetable. My fence questions were based on what I observed recently so I wanted to know that if I bought a home on a green belt, that I could or could not put a privacy fence if I wanted it. Realtors rarly have this info. Formercalifornian has been very helpful, and I very much appreaciate her help.

FYI. I just noticed those stockade fences over on Unita street that are right on the sidewalk, (corner houses) which I would hope would be a violation of some rule which I guess they do not.

FYI, I am moving from a town that is over 200 years old, and in 1915 they set rules down that we still live by today:
1) fences are discouraged, but can be b/w and behind house, but no higher that 4ft, and can not extend past the edge of the house, no exception for corner houses, so since houses are required to have a 25ft set back, then your side fence on a corner house will be 25 ft from the side walk, if you want one.
2) cars are not allowed to be parked on the street between 2am & 6am, and must be parked past the front edge of the house. This rule allows you not to see cars while you walk through the neighborhood, and gives a reason for the police to investigate a car parked after 2am on the street. (they did not like cars in 1915
3) garages will be in the back of the house, or the door of an attached garage can not face the street
4) grass no higher that 6 "
5) no house can be of the same design/type w/i 10 houses of each other
6) etc, etc

These and other rules were set down in 1915, which I always thought was progressive for the time, and never did mind any of the rules, even when I got a parking ticket for leaving my car on the street, in front of my house, overnight. These are not huge houses, I live on a 50 X 150 lot with a house < 1600 sqft (not including basement or attc). And in my town/state you can not count basement or attic as official sg footage of a house sale sheet, which I find is not true here in Denver, which makes for misleading cost per sqft advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I can only assume the houses on Uinta are exceptions because they actually face E. Long and side to Uinta. The privacy fences that front E. Mineral Dr. are on the rear property line of those homes. It does look a bit awkward because the houses next door front E. Mineral, but it makes sense when you consider the property orientation.

I agree that the basement square footage issue is confusing and frustrating. In my mind, only finished square feet should count, but that does not appear to be the case here in Centennial. Bear in mind that, given the age of some of these homes, some basements may not meet code. I suggest proceeding cautiously when it comes to finished basements and hiring an excellent inspector.

Given the requirements of your current neighborhood, you might be pleased to know that our HOA neighborhoods strictly prohibit parking trucks, including pick-up trucks, on streets or driveways. Trucks driven by hired help are excepted. Boats, RVs, and trailers are also prohibited, unless being loaded/unloaded.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-24-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Back from another house hunting trip in Denver, with 50% of the time spent in Willow Creek. Had a question on what is considered the best attributes of homes in this area, as I saw a wide spread.
- Is wood shingles a desired attribute over composite, or do people not care.
- Is a cul-de -sac more desirable.
- finished basement?
- original vs new windows.
- walk out basement
Personaly I would like wood shingles, cul-de-sac with the original or wood windows, with no walk out basement, but that is my preference, I was just wondering what is normally highly desired in the Willow Creek area .
It seems some think that putting in a cheap plastic $200 window is better than the original brown aluminum. I only saw one house actually go with nice wood replacements. one realtor informed me that was because the interior wood windows rot in the sun if you do not take care of them, but so will anything if you do not take care of it

It also seem most of the houses for sale presently all had a location issue, like on a corner, backs to Yosemite, on another busy street, at the dead end of a tee intersection, etc etc

Any comments, good or bad would be appreciated, because as i am coming from a different state I just wanted to know what the norm is.

Thanks,

Fotboat

Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Here's my $.02:

Personally, I like the look of wood shingles (my house has them), but they're generally the least desirable of the roofing styles, because they dry rot, break, and are vulnerable to wind and hail damage. Every time we have a good storm, I find pieces of the roof in the yard, and I'm planning to replace it with a dimensional shingle when it finally gives out.

A cul-de-sac is great, but a lot with greenbelt access would be more desirable. If you can get both, all the better. Coyotes are frequent visitors to our greenbelts, so domestic animals should be carefully supervised when outdoors. Cats should definitely be kept indoors!

As far as finished basements, they're very desirable, but be careful about checking to see whether or not the work meets code and has been inspected. Many basements in older houses have been completed without proper permits, and once you sign on the dotted line any problems arising from this lack of permits will be your responsibility.

I have older windows and cannot wait to replace them. Many have cracked seals and condensate between the panes and are difficult to raise and lower because the house has settled over time. The old windows are also ineffective at blocking radiant heat from our very intense sun.

A walk-out basement would be most desirable. Some of my friends with sub-grade finished basements have enlarged the window wells, which makes the space lighter and more livable.

You'll find that many houses in the area have whole house fans rather than or in addition to air conditioning. The original style that was installed by the builder is extremely noisy, so if the unit has been replaced with a more modern version, all the better. Whole house fans are extremely effective, so don't be scared off by one. They're really great! We don't even have an air conditioner, but most people in the neighborhood do.

BTW, did you happen to meet a WC family in a Qdoba restaurant during your last visit? If so, that was my family, and we enjoyed meeting you. You're still welcome to call us anytime with questions. Best regards...FC

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-05-2010 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 AM

FC

Thanks gain for the quick reply and and the straight information. Yes I think whole house fans are great, replaced one in my present house recently, and I lve wood shingle s also but I didn't even consider it on my present house when i replaced the rood just went with what the rest of the nieghborhhod did , dimensional composote shingle, even though I know that it had the wood shingles originally in 1917, not sure why, not sure there was a roofer who would have done it.

and

Yes that was me with my realtor, at Qdoba, I left the next morning so had no chance to call but will later if it is okay, after my daughters play this afternoon

Thanks for everything

Fotboat

Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotboat View Post
Thanks gain for the quick reply and and the straight information.
You are so welcome. I'm happy to answer questions about the neighborhood to the extent of my knowledge.

As I reviewed the information I gave you in my last post, I wanted to clarify the basement issue. When I was looking in WC, I personally followed up on any suspected renovations of houses that interested me with the building inspector. Many times properties of this age have changed hands multiple times, so the sellers may be completely unaware of problems with permits and inspections. A complicating factor is that Centennial was incorporated long after WC was built. As a result, I had to call around quite a bit before I found the office that could verify the renovations to my house had been permitted and properly assessed. It might seem like a lot of trouble, but it could turn out to be well worth it if there are issues that need resolved, because you can ask the sellers to make things right before you sign on the dotted line.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM

FC,

Thank you again for all the info. My wife and I are flying out tomorrow for the home inspec. There are already issues unfortunately as a number of items were done with out permits or HOA approval, but hopefully those will be resolved.
Is there a neighborhood blog that lists recommended contractors, I wanted to get estimates for painting (removal of popcorn cielings), Fence installer, plumber, and a local architect that likes to do simple updates to interiors,

Thanks

Brian

Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Oh, that's fantastic. I'm curious about which house you bought, but perhaps that is best discussed by DM. My HOA's newsletter includes ads for people who provide services in the area, but as far as I know, there isn't a directory for contractors. Your Realtor might have suggestions. Lots of people in WC have removed popcorn ceilings! You probably just need to ask around once you meet your new neighbors.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,551 times
home prices in Willow Creek are out of control. Cluster Homes on smaller plots (Willow Creek 3) are hard to come by for less than $500k. Willow Creek 1 and 2 are even more expensive. You def get what you pay for compared to other nearby HOAs that are not nearly as nice

Last edited by Wabis80; 04-16-2017 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Can't spell for s...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver