Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM

43 posts, read 114,295 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move within walking distance to Olde Town this spring or summer at the latest. We have two young children and ideally will find something with an apartment attached for Grandma.

I would love any feedback anyone has on the following:

1. Any areas very near Olde town you would avoid?

2. In these older homes, are there common issues we should watch out for (lead paint, asbestos, underground storage tanks, radon levels, etc)?

3. We'd plan to stay 6-8 years-- any thoughts on where might be the best area from an investment standpoint?

4. What about train noise? We do live fairly near a train now, and are fairly use to it, but I would hope with a lot of houses, there is more of a buffer to the noise. How often do they come through-- anyone disturbed at night by the whistle?

5. Conservative or liberal? I am independent, but hubby is a Wyoming ranch boy who would not do as well with a very politically liberal neighborhood.

6. To anyone living near Olde Town ( esp with young family)-- what do you like best? What are the downsides?

7. Are there concerns living near Arvada middle school or Arvada High School?

&. Any other advice?

I may post another thread to ask about moving from a ( to us) huge, gorgeous new construction home too far from where we spend our time to an old home half the size. We want to spend much less than we make (now we about break even) and would rather drive a lot less. We'll have to rent out our home here, possibly at a loss. Just wondered if others had done it, and how it is going...

Thanks for any insight. I think I have finally figured out how to leave rep feedback. Sorry that I haven't before this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM

43 posts, read 114,295 times
A couple other questions for anyone who knows...

Are utility bills a lot higher on those older houses? ( if not updated)

Is bus service to downtown pretty reliable ( on time, etc)?

Thank you.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:27 PM

7 posts, read 13,055 times
Default Arvadan

My only comment about southern Arvada is be aware of the LOUD trains, they occur at any time of the day or night!

Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM

322 posts, read 524,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFuller View Post
We are planning to move within walking distance to Olde Town this spring or summer at the latest. We have two young children and ideally will find something with an apartment attached for Grandma.

2. In these older homes, are there common issues we should watch out for (lead paint, asbestos, underground storage tanks, radon levels, etc)?

3. We'd plan to stay 6-8 years-- any thoughts on where might be the best area from an investment standpoint?

4. What about train noise? We do live fairly near a train now, and are fairly use to it, but I would hope with a lot of houses, there is more of a buffer to the noise. How often do they come through-- anyone disturbed at night by the whistle?

5. Conservative or liberal? I am independent, but hubby is a Wyoming ranch boy who would not do as well with a very politically liberal neighborhood.

6. To anyone living near Olde Town ( esp with young family)-- what do you like best? What are the downsides?

&. Any other advice?

I may post another thread to ask about moving from a ( to us) huge, gorgeous new construction home too far from where we spend our time to an old home half the size. We want to spend much less than we make (now we about break even) and would rather drive a lot less. We'll have to rent out our home here, possibly at a loss. Just wondered if others had done it, and how it is going...

Thanks for any insight. I think I have finally figured out how to leave rep feedback. Sorry that I haven't before this.

1. Most of Old Towne is great - so not much to worry about on that front.
2. These aren't common issues, but if any arise, that is why you have the inspection objection.
3. Any spot near Old Towne is going to be a solid investment. It has already become very popular and will continue this upward trajectory when the light rail stop arrives in 2016.
4. Don't know about the frequency of trains.
5. No comment on political affiliations, but Colorado is pretty accepting of different political viewpoints.
6. n/a
7. Don't know. My husband and I nearly bought a home near Arvada High --- we like that area a lot --- great views of the mountains from various spots and homes.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:

&. Any other advice?

I know this area very well:

1. There are no areas around Olde Town to avoid. The issue will be the cost. The area is very desirable and most home are in good repair.

2. Of course, very old homes have issue. You would need to get your purchase contract conditioned on an professional inspection.

3. Investors have already hit on this area and buying will be very competitive. It is anticipated that these homes will increase in value because it is an authentic olde town, not fake, and a heavy commuter rail line (it is NOT light rail) is now being built with a station in Olde Town, opening in 2016. It will connect quickly to Union Station in Downtown Denver. This is the Gold Line under the Fastracks expansion of large expansion of public transit. RTD The present bus service is excellent to Denver with local buses and express buses that will be supplanted by the commuter rail in 2016.

4. A previous poster seems to have an obsession with the train noise and this is my answer to his other post //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l#post37480153
Yes, there is will be train noise, so accept it! It will be more with the commuter rail running on this line but It is an advantage. The line running along here is a freight line spur to Coors in Golden and there no passenger trains.

5. Well, what can I say. The area now has many types of residents from old timers who grew up there and newcomers with diverse attitudes. However, most people are natives and long term residents and have attitudes of a Westerner which is acceptance as long as you do not infringe on their rights. I get along just fine with all everyone and they accept me--a loud ex New Yorker. It is neither very liberal or very conservative.

If your husband has not learned to accept the opinions of others with being not tolerant and lacks maturity, then that is his problem. Yet, the residents are becoming richer and suspect they will become more liberal. It is NOT indicative of a small farming town as in the past; it is become a wealthy enclave with expensive shops.

6. I live very close and have been there often. The downside is that over the years, the stores and shops have moved to higher prices because the residents are wealthier then before. It is great walkable area and has parks and a new one built near the middle school. The area will certainly become more upscale with the building of the rail.

8. There are many neighborhoods that area nearby that you may consider. As you move south of olde town, off Ridge Road and down West 52nd., you will find segments of old farmsteads and may fit better for your values with larger properties where you can put a granny apartment.

Yes, of course, utilities on old homes are more if they are not updated. These homes in Olde Town probably were built with no insulation, have old furnaces etc. However, over the many decades, I would assume much changes have been made.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-06-2014 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM

371 posts, read 493,901 times
Quote:

&. Any other advice?

1) There are a few townhomes and apartment complexes in the area that are a bit rough around the edges, but given what you're looking for, it shouldn't be a concern.

2) Depends on the home.

3) The entire area is a decent investment. Close to Wadsworth is best.

4) If train noise is a concern, avoid the area around Oberon or Olde Wadsworth to the north of Olde Town. That has a crazy number of trains going by and running their horns. The line closer to Ridge road is much quieter.

5) It's a very centrist area politically. You'll be fine. Your husband will think it's a bit liberal for his liking.

6) I used to live there. It's got a lot of charming single family homes, it's both family and adult friendly, it's an easy drive or public transport use to downtown, good parks and good shopping. Everything you need is there.

Downsides: Olde Town is weird in that when I visit there now as an outsider, I kind of see that it's 1/3 crazy yuppie, 1/3 Christian families with kids, and 1/3 people-who-make-Honey-Boo-Boo's-family-look-cultured. It's a crazy mishmash that I love and hate at the same time.

7) Neither Arvada K-8 or Arvada high are that great of schools. They're acceptable enough, but on the low end of the Jeffco school district. If you have elementary school kids, try to get them into Lawrence or Peck, both of which are pretty good.

8) It is not cheap to live there, nor is there a lot available. Be prepared for possible sticker shock.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:42 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Zillow says: nothing for sale in Olde Town.

So, I would say: be patient.
Get yourself a good buyers' agent who really knows the neighborhood.
Have all your financing lined up.
Be willing to consider "not so perfect" houses.

Regarding your current house which I presume is on 80640 (greater Henderson).
Not many house for sale, but many foreclosures according to Zillow.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Zillow says: nothing for sale in Olde Town.

So, I would say: be patient.
Get yourself a good buyers' agent who really knows the neighborhood.
Have all your financing lined up.
Be willing to consider "not so perfect" houses.

Regarding your current house which I presume is on 80640 (greater Henderson).
Not many house for sale, but many foreclosures according to Zillow.
I have talked to real estate agents and owners in this area at transit meetings that I have attended. If a property, in the close proximity of olde town comes up for sale, it will be sold immediately and would not make it long on a public listing. There is so much demand for these homes and now with the rail coming, the agents have investors and owner occupied buyers waiting. I would also expect no listings because we would see quick private sales.

Also, a buyer has to keep in mind that some properties are in the Downtown Historical District as defined by the City and that restricts and defines certain improvements. I doubt that many of these properties would get approval for a scrape off and your type of modernistic home would never be approved.

Livecontent

Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,175 times
Great area. The development of Old Towne all started with the creation of the Arvada Urban Renewal Authority under Bob Marchbanks(?).

At first, people who lived in the area and the city were resisted to change and turned down several road improvements projects. However, time passed, and attitudes changed.

The new WalMart Store being planned at the old Arvada Plaza Shopping Center (Adjacent to Old Towne) will further increase property values.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Great area. The development of Old Towne all started with the creation of the Arvada Urban Renewal Authority under Bob Marchbanks(?).

At first, people who lived in the area and the city were resisted to change and turned down several road improvements projects. However, time passed, and attitudes changed.

The new WalMart Store being planned at the old Arvada Plaza Shopping Center (Adjacent to Old Towne) will further increase property values.
The Walmart is not adjacent to Olde Towne--it is a few miles down the road on Ralston near an entirely different type of housing developments of the 1950s and 1960s (Olde Town is more of the age of the early 20th Century and late 19th) and is not consider part of Olde Town. It is considered part of the Ralston Creek area, formally known at the Triangle.

The Walmart development has been held up because of some environment concerns of land pollution from a former dry cleaners on the site. I have not seen any work done this summer and I suspect there is litigation over who is responsible for the cleanup.

The area across the street from Walmart on Ralston is now under contract for development and will include housing and shops. It is more of a significant development in this North Ralston Creek area. It is next to a newly developed park and will be the more upscale development that will stimulate higher prices to the homes nearby.http://static.arvada.org/docs/Ralsto...1407281521.jpg

What will really impact Olde Town will definitely be the rail. In addition, there is a luxury upscale apartments now being build in Olde Town called Park Place Park Place at Olde Town This will bring in monied residents that can walk to the store and shops. Also, there is significant development now being down near the Rail Station in Olde Town and for possible a hotel and a supermarket which hopefully we will be able to develop at the at the No. 6 notation on this map
http://static.arvada.org/docs/TOD_Di...1409191254.pdf

We in Arvada are very exciting about the new Olde Town that will be taking shape with the arrival of the Gold Line. It will definitely be a upscale place to live.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-07-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver