Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,565 times

Advertisements

hello,

i live in denver and have two large dogs that i keep confined to the side yard at my house when they are outside. this works out well for other parts of the yard, but the side yard has been reduced to nothing but dirt.

so i have been researching different coverings to make the yard more dog-friendly, and my house cleaner, and have decided that pine straw would make a great, economical solution. i would prefer rocks but cannot afford them due to the size of the yard (approx. 800 sq ft)

anyway, i can't find anyone in the denver area that sells pine straw. is it even available to buy out here?

thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM

31 posts, read 133,312 times
What is pine straw?? I have horses and dogs and have never heard of pine straw. We use pole peelings in the dog run, easy on their feet, and clean.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 PM

123 posts, read 524,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JstPam View Post
What is pine straw??
Pine needles I believe.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,604 times
hello.monday
Pine straw is simply pine needles. If you want some free contact me via private message. I live in Elizabeth in a ponderosa pine forest and you are welcome to as much as you want to take. I just gave away a 5x8x5 trailer full to a friend a week or so ago.

Nav

Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottodog View Post
Pine needles I believe.
yup.

i guess i might be going in a really wrong direction - i know they're used commonly in the south, but maybe you just can't get them around here in bulk?

pole peelings would work, too. i'm planning on doing an entire 20' x 40' area for the dogs to play in...do you think they would work well in such a large space? do you have to replace it often, or just fill in when it starts to biodegrade? where do you buy it from?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
heh
I mostly grew up in Denver and never heard the term "pine straw" until I moved here to north Florida. (And of course, we do use it here.)
However, when I lived in Denver, we just used cedar mulch for the dog run and it worked fine, probably easier cleaning up after the dogs with mulch than with pine straw... We did replace sections of it once or twice a year.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 AM

573 posts, read 2,506,037 times
If you have a big dog who runs A LOT i'm not sure the pine needles would do very much for you. They would probably be helpful at first but would soon be scattered, trampled, and moved to less run-on areas...and you'd be back down to mud. We have this problem with our dog who actually does the same thing with mulch as well...

Old 08-17-2014, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,567 times
Nav

Do you still offer the pine needles? And if so does one have to rake them off the ground or are they in a pile?

Larry

Old 08-17-2014, 04:45 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Nav's last post was almost four years ago. If you are looking specifically for pine needles, maybe you could advertise on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver