Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 204,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
I just don't understand why it is necessary to drive like that. Yep I am the one they cuss because I drive the speed limit or at the most 10 over.
I don't understand people who feel the need to drive the speed limit when the flow of traffic is well over the speed limit. All I know is that I don't want to be the one to get rear ended because I'm driving too slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 AM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
[quote=Mike from back east;566874][quote=Nadine;566865]....try taking a horse trailer thro Denver on I25 headed for Fort Collins vet. hosp. at the college.
Quote:

Driving aside, is your critter okay now?

s/Mike
She had surgery and is comfortable with no limp but not sound enough to ride. She is of good breeding which I insist upon with a mare so if this happens they have another life as a registered good quality broodmare. That is her job now in a very good performance AQHA breeding farm. Thanks for asking. But I tell ya that ride to and from Fort Collins was hairy. I wanted to travel at night or sometime some people were home and in bed. But the animal hosp has certain hrs and I don't think anyone sleeps up there. LOL

Old 04-12-2007, 09:39 AM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Caroline72 View Post
I don't understand people who feel the need to drive the speed limit when the flow of traffic is well over the speed limit. All I know is that I don't want to be the one to get rear ended because I'm driving too slow.
Well you know there are laws and I believe in following them. Why do you think those speed signs are there? Contrary to what some people think. Rules are not made to be broken. I do not want to be the one that kills someone because of speed. I can just see telling the family of the one that dies. Everyone else does it! As my mother always told me----if everyone else jumps off a cliff are your going to too? And no I have no ever been rear ended just cussed. Sticks and stones, you know.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I agree completely with Nadine. The speed limits are there for a reason. There is no scientific rationale for "keeping up with traffic" when the traffic is going 20 + miles over the limit. On the interstates, drivers' speeds vary, anyway. I just read an article in a magazine today that said that 30% of all fatal accidents are caused by excessive speed.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:14 AM

18 posts, read 122,993 times
One reason we feel the need to follow the speed limit when traffic is going 20 miles over is the law. In our third week here, my wife got a ticket on I-25 south of downtown for doing 67 in a 55, even though she was in the flow of traffic, actually doing slightly less than traffic which was running 70-75. The officer was in a plain, unmarked sedan with dark tinted windows. We were in the 4th lane on the right, alowing traffic to pass us in three left lanes. He was sitting on the right shoulder, clocked her with radar, pulled in behind us, and wrote her a speeding ticket.

Beign originally from Texas, where you can get a ticket dismissed each year by taking defensive driving, we're now being extra cautious about the speed limit here, because we don't want the points on our license. It seems that Colorado doesn't give this "freebie", at least not in most parts of the state. Prior to this incident, neither of us has had a ticket in over 10 years.

So, we'll be the ones generally obeying the speed limit, but we'll try to stay out of the left lane.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:28 AM

Default rburtoncpa

You will be helping to make the state a little safer. I learned the hard way that speeding doesn't always get you there faster. I was taking my daughter from one activity to another and got stopped for speeding on Highway 42 in Lafayette. The speed limit drops quickly from 55 to 35, and I was clocked going 58! I didn't get a ticket, but it wasted a lot of time. And, I got my daughter to her activity late. Now, I always slow down there! It was ironic, because I do try to follow the speed limits.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 PM

95 posts, read 503,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Second sentence: I doubt can be supported by the laws of physics.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant. In a few inches of untracked powder, you can accelerate, brake and turn with less effort/patience. In hard packed snow, ice is present, and reduces the level of driving conditions/options. Think of skiing in powder vs. hard pack. Powder is easier, smoother and enjoyable, (unless you're from the east coast. ) The traction circle plays a roll in physics with the three ingredients: Accelerating, Cornering and Braking. Experiment in powder and hard pack conditions. Practice in a empty parking lot, such as Wal-mart or King Soopers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Amen to you, ILUVNM! Your are asbolutely right about parents setting an example for their children. "Do as I say, not as I do" is nice-sounding platitude, but it seldom works in reality.
It's great to know how you have reveled your real nature of your inner self, double standards. Those using this half truth to rationize the circumstance of the reality of your own, only creates pain. Teaching our children these double standards, flows like water, just as the media also leads the public with brainwashing. The same double standard is currently occurring with Imus and the three Duke Lacrosse players. Attitude of an individual is what counts toward the actions, not always the words that are used. Judgment of people should be of the intent of their actions. Keep in mind that our children are not a volunteer for the emotional/verbal manipulation that brainwashing creates. The willingness of our children to learn and soak up knowledge, as a sponge soaks up liquids, is to be nurtured with kindness, joy, peace and enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And driving is a privelege, not a right. That's why you have to have a license for it.
You're such a good citizen, I'm hovering over your "[+] Rate this post positively" right now...

Old 04-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Default FeelGood

I still think a dry road is safer, which was my point.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 PM

95 posts, read 503,426 times
I found the quote by Aristotle very rewarding.

“Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.”

Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 22,198 times
Denver drivers worse than Chicago?? Are you kidding? I was just in Chicago metro in November and I was shocked at the way people drove there.

The drivers here do like to drive fast yes and there are some tailgaters. (hate to say it mostly women) The worst place I've ever lived for idiotic stupid drivers is Southeast Virginia. In the 7 years I was there, I was hit 7 different times in mostly minor accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver