Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volbry View Post
I have lived in Denver-Aurora all my life...even if they are a good kid they will almost certainly have some type of contact and probably have a record before they reach 21 if they dwell in Aurora!
Do you have any DATA to back up this statement?

Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,717,319 times
One of the things I've long liked about my neighborhood is the variety of people who live here--white, black, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, East Asian.. I've seen Orthodox Jewish men (the branch with the long curled sideburns) walking around my neighborhood, I've seen Middle Eastern women wearing the hijab, several Buddhists on their way to a nearby temple/center and live near a number of Christian churches. And we all seem to be okay with each other for the most part (there's always going to be some issue in any neighborhood)--maybe because we all have one thing in common, and that's how solidly middle class we all are. I take walks around here all the time and see people of all sorts of backgrounds mowing their lawns, painting their houses--typical family suburbia stuff, in other words. In fact, my next door neighbors are Middle Eastern, presumably Muslim, and our houses must be in perfect sync with each other in terms of what breaks down and needs fixed--I had to replace a hot water heater recently, then two weeks later the husband was knocking on my door and asking who had replaced mine, because theirs needed replaced too. Then their furnace went out, and a month later, so did mine, so I was asking them who they'd gone to for that. Seems other house repairs between us are being done about the same time, too. (Ah, the joys of home ownership...)

However, that doesn't mean racism doesn't exist around here. A friend of mine was confronted by a man who screamed at him that he should "Go back to Mexico and stop stealing our country." My friend's response was to calmy light up a cigarette, take a drag, and inform the 'gentleman', "Well, here's the problem, I'm not Mexican, I'm Navajo. So let's talk about who stole who's country..." (The man who confronted him apparently turned heel and walked away at this point.)

A former acquaintance of mine called me a few years back in absolute horror, telling me she found a website where you put in a zip code and it spits back all sort of data about your neighborhood, including the racial breakdown. She apparently felt it was her 'duty' to warn me that my neighborhood "is only 50% white!" After thinking about it for a moment, my response was, "Oh yeah, I can see that." She seemed absolutely shocked that I wasn't packing my bags, putting up my house for sale, and moving away from "those people" the next day. I don't think she got that my attitude is, regardless of color or ethnicity, if you leave me alone, I leave you alone, but if you get in my face, I get in your face.

In all honesty, the neighbor I have the most issues with is white--we all have an issue with her. She's the 'chronic complainer' of the neighborhood, and I think we're all rolling our eyes at her when she starts in on something else to complain about.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
The irony is that 99% of the white people that complain about Colorado's racism (or racism and general) live in 99.5% white areas like Boulder or Highlands Ranch.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
You know what's funny about this topic? For years I'd see racism, in just about everything I did. And now, I don't see it. Maybe I'm getting older (and wiser?), but I just don't see it here in my daily life in Denver. Sure, the dude walking down the street with the swastika tattooed on his forehead (um, haven't really seen that here) is probably a racist. But really, most of that was just in my head. Racism is here, just like it's pretty much everywhere. But I wouldn't say Denver is full of racism. I'd probably leave quickly if it was.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I was attending high school in Denver during the forced busing period of the early 1970's. (I actually volunteered to do this because I disliked my own neighborhood school in southeast Denver.) Forced busing, which ended in the mid-90's, was supposed to solve the segregation problem in Denver Public Schools.

There has definitely been white flight in Denver. I agree with Katiana's remarks early on in this thread, that Denver is superficially tolerant and open-minded, but that certain words and phrases will rear their ugly heads behind closed doors--and sometimes right in your face.
I was working at a Jewish preschool in Denver when someone left dreadful anti-semitic hate literature in the lobby as well as on every car in the parking lot.

Having said all this, I believe Denver is in step with the 21st century and I would never eschew this city because of bigotry.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
I live in a neighborhood that was historically black but is becoming gentrified. We get a few strange looks from black people, and one or two snide comments were made to my wife about 'being in this neighborhood.' Our neighbor next door is a 90 year old black lady and I don't think she is too fond of us, although she waves back at us when we see her in the yard.

However I've had some good conversations with some very old black men who were excited to see white people moving in because we 'clean the place up'. Not to mention that the families of the old folks are happy to see the property values skyrocketing because they would end up selling the house once their parents are no longer with them.

One black guy the other day was complaining to me about 'Africans' moving into the neighborhood and not speaking English. He had a sense of pride in being American-born, even saying "I'm not African-American. If you told me to swim back to Africa, I couldn't find it!"

Anyways I never considered myself racist, and certainly respect those who show respect. However I can't help but mumble comments under my breath when I hear the 'crackheads' up all night yelling on the corner, and wake up to malt liquor bottles in my yard.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 20,706 times
Wow, I am glad that I found this thread...

I do have a few questions (forgive me if they've been addressed previously. This thread is really long) about Denver.

I'll preface by stating that Denver is at the top of my short list of places that I want to relocate to (it is a very short list by the way). I've read so many wonderful things about it in addition to pictures and video footage I've seen. This summer I'm planning a short vacation just to get the tactile experience.

With that said...

I am a young African American Gay Man (with moderately liberal sensibilities) coming from Houston, Texas.
My questions are as follows...

1.) African American community/Diversity - I already know that the African American population in Denver is not nearly as large as it is in Houston, Texas (I was born and raised in an entirely black neighborhood); however, I'm fine just as long as there is a black population (and diversity in general). My main concern is having somewhere to go to get my hair cut.
I've read that the largest percentage of African Americans is concentrated in Aurora and The Five Points.
So, where are the places to get a hair cut?

I know that Denver has black history museums and a African American interest groups so I'm happy knowing that I won't be moving to a place where black people are invisible. Again, it doesn't matter to if there is a gargantuan black population. I love diversity and as long as people are nice that makes me feel good. Granted, I am aware that racism exists everywhere (this is The United States of America) but I've heard that Denver is less racist than most places.

2.) The Gay Community - How is the gay community here? Are people live and let live about gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders and etc?
A big reason I am leaving Texas is because I'd like to eventually settle down and start my own family in the near future.

3.) Religion - I am not religious (Atheist actually). Is there the same level of religiosity that you might find in other parts of the country? Or can you just be not religious and everyone be fine with that?

4.) Economy - is it fairly easy to find new work? I would like to move to Denver (if I do indeed decide) with employment.

5.) Quality of Life (Healthcare and etc) - How is overall quality of life? Are doctors and healthcare good in Denver? I am very health conscious and like to go running and I know that Denver is like a really healthy city, which is another reason I've gravitated to it.

Anyway...

Thanks for taking the time to read and possibly respond to my inquiries.

Best!

Prince Todd.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:55 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Some answers from an old white guy

1. Haircut - also ask on Yelp. I have no clue.
2. The black population of Colorado is 4% and 9% (and falling) in Denver. It is 10% (and rising) in Aurora.
3. Lots of gays in greater Denver. Very much live and let live. Call these people Gay and Lesbian Fund for Colorado | Committed to Colorado and ask some questions.
4. Atheist - welcome. No one really cares. They do in places outside of Denver (I am looking at you Colorado Springs).
5. Economy is OK. Very dependent upon what you want to do.
6. Healthcare is excellent, in my opinion. But, then, I don't really use medical services. (Well, except for my Medicare-covered colonoscopy coming up real soon.)

7. Be prepared for the high rental prices.
Denver-area apartment rents are expected to keep climbing in 2014 - Denver Business Journal
Colorado Division of Housing: Vacancy and Rent Survey for Metro Denver, 3rd Q 2013
Denver Real Estate Booms as Ski Slopes Trump NYC Bustle - Bloomberg

Old 12-31-2013, 07:21 PM

12 posts, read 20,706 times
Yelp had good tips!

Thanks.

Last edited by PrinceTodd; 12-31-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,607 times
I'm coming to Denver in the net few weeks. I'm black and have per-arranged housing in lowest south part of Denver. Looking at the race dot map on http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html , I see that this city is not nearly as terribly segregated as most other regions, but still, pretty much all the black people live in a smaller area in the northern section. I'm wondering If I should start thinking about moving into that region, but would have to consider the quality of the neighborhoods there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver