Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

There are mosquitos in Colorado. While they may not be as thick as they are in warmer, more humid states, they ARE there.

My family lives in one of the driest areas of the state and my brother-in-law contracted West Nile 3-4 years ago, so don't be fooled into thinking there are no mosquitos in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Don't forget ticks!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I was sitting out on the front porch this evening until the rain started blowing up on me, but for about an hour, I got a couple mosquito bites. They seem kind of bad this year since it's been so wet, but nothing like the Midwest where I grew up. I remember if you left the front porch light on, there would literally be a swarm of bugs around it! And those June Bugs were just disgusting. But I do miss the lightning bugs.

From what I've found, anywhere from the Front Range to the Pacific Ocean really isn't buggy compared to the rest of the country. I lived in SoCal for 12 years and never got a mosquito bite.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbsn View Post
A world with little or no mosquitoes? I am in heaven! I had to look up the box elder bugs, we don't have those here. Those answers definitely help, thanks so much for taking the time to post!!
As someone else pointed out, there ARE mosquitoes here. Most summers a number of people get West Nile Virus. The cities in Boulder County have been spraying for mosquitoes. They come out in the early morning and early evening hours.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 15,441 times
I was not trying to sound all inclusive when I said "no mosquitos". I understand that there will be bugs and even mosquitos but you must understand where I am coming from. I live on the Mississippi River and we have mosquitos for 10 months out of the year. There is heavy rice farming out here (aka large fields of stagnant water) so we joke that the mosquito is the national bird...they are plentiful and huge. I was seriously not joking about having to spray before I went to the mailbox and the mailbox is on my porch. In relation Colorado will be like having "no mosquitos"! Love it!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM

140 posts, read 429,612 times
In Florida, you can't even drive with the windows down at night. In the city where I live there are no street lights and you can see hundreds of different bugs flying across the road in front of your headlights. Riding a bicycle you gotta have sunglasses on and your mouth closed at all times. This just doesn't happen in CO. However when I was riding my bike along Cherry Creek path this winter I was noticing a decent population of gnats on the 60 degree days.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenShores View Post
In Florida, you can't even drive with the windows down at night. In the city where I live there are no street lights and you can see hundreds of different bugs flying across the road in front of your headlights. Riding a bicycle you gotta have sunglasses on and your mouth closed at all times. This just doesn't happen in CO. However when I was riding my bike along Cherry Creek path this winter I was noticing a decent population of gnats on the 60 degree days.
We used to call it the Cherry Creek Gnatway!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:51 PM

64 posts, read 214,836 times
We can not forget the earwigs!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
Just thank god there are no roaches. Big nasty centipedes that invade are pretty bad too. I'd gladly take gnats and earwigs any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver