Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:32 PM

369 posts, read 967,729 times

Advertisements

I'd say Denver is Minneapolis and Saint Paul without the lakes.

Minneapolis and Saint Paul combined are similar in population size to Denver, they have similar amenities, similar demographics, same kind of growth pattern over the years, same kind of neighborhoods. Saint Anthony, Falcon Heights, Washington Park, Park Hill - lots of Sears craftsmen bungalows. Summit Ave and 7th Ave Parkway are very similar. Wash Park and Linden Hills are similar.

The weather is a bit different. Both are four seasons with cold winters. But Denver is dry, Twin Cities is humid. Also, Denver gets more sun than the Twin Cities.

Growing season is about the same, although the produce from MN tends to be larger because there's more water in the air and there's nice rich black topsoil.

Denver is a city of transplants, Twin Cities tends to be more insular. So Denver tends to rely on relocation to bring in the talent, Twin Cities knows they have to grow the talent - so the schools systems (elementary, high schools, and college) are better.

Denver has a lot of Federal centers and jobs, Twin Cities not so much.

Twin Cities has a decent share of large company headquarters, Denver has trouble with that.

Denver was a treeless plain before the city was built, the Twin Cities were swamps and dense forest.

Denver has mountains, Twin Cities has lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM

140 posts, read 430,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Every picture I see that advertises Denver shows it as a town nestled in the mountains. They show the downtown with snow capped peaks floating above the city. Now that I have been to Denver for the first time I know now that the whole thing is trick photography. They use special telephoto lenses to make the mountains fifty miles away look real close.

They also give the impression that the city is nestled in the mountains, like Aspen, by reminding everyone that Denver is the mile high city. What people do not realize is the slope of the great plains just moves higher as one goes west.

I see Denver as no different than Oklahoma City or a Minneapolis with out the lakes. Agree?
I totally disagree. For one thing, Denver's winters are not nearly as harsh as Minneapolis. Denver has an average low of 16F and Minn. is 3F with higher humidity to make it feel colder. In Denver last winter, we had very few days below 20 degrees and some days in the middle of winter would get as high as 65 degrees.

As far as being near the mountains, I find it hard to complain when I can walk out my door downtown and be in the steep foothills of Golden in 15 minutes. I can be hiking the continental divide at 10,000+ feet in 45 minutes.

I won't even address Oklahoma City.

I could go on and on about the differences. Both cities are very unique and it is far too simplistic to say Denver is no different than Oklahoma City or Minneapolis without lakes.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 PM

795 posts, read 2,413,212 times
I hope not. People on city v city been saying that Calgary is just a Canadian Denver. I think there is more to denver than a mountain range and boxy skyline...

Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,963,328 times
Trick photography eh? Here's my favorite trick photo shot of Fort Collins:

This view does not exist from the ground anywhere in Fort Collins. I suspect this was taken from an airplane with a telephoto lens. But if I could ever find a hill with this sort of view in town, I'd do my best to buy a house there.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 AM

26,261 posts, read 49,168,003 times
American is a nation full of great cities, no two really alike. Comparisons are futile.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM

369 posts, read 967,729 times
Here's some raw data on the winters.

Denver:

Average High/Low Temperatures for KDEN : Weather Underground

Minneapolis:

Average High/Low Temperatures for KMSP : Weather Underground

Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Every picture I see that advertises Denver shows it as a town nestled in the mountains. They show the downtown with snow capped peaks floating above the city. Now that I have been to Denver for the first time I know now that the whole thing is trick photography. They use special telephoto lenses to make the mountains fifty miles away look real close.

They also give the impression that the city is nestled in the mountains, like Aspen, by reminding everyone that Denver is the mile high city. What people do not realize is the slope of the great plains just moves higher as one goes west.

I see Denver as no different than Oklahoma City or a Minneapolis with out the lakes. Agree?
I'll have to disagree. Denver is OKC? HA! No, this isn't a flat, humid city with little to do and overly conservative residents.

And the mountains are closer than 50 miles away. I live east of downtown, and I can see mountains out my window. I agree that it's not "nestled in the mountains", but then neither is Los Angeles or Phoenix. 3 million people can't be "nestled".

Old 07-09-2009, 02:44 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,191,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'll have to disagree. Denver is OKC? HA! No, this isn't a flat, humid city with little to do and overly conservative residents.

And the mountains are closer than 50 miles away. I live east of downtown, and I can see mountains out my window. I agree that it's not "nestled in the mountains", but then neither is Los Angeles or Phoenix. 3 million people can't be "nestled".
And Denver is frigid with snow blowing all year and nothing but left wing radicals. What that's not true? And OKC isn't a flat barren town with right wing nut jobs? No Way! Are we Denver? No. But there sure are worse places to be than here.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
And Denver is frigid with snow blowing all year and nothing but left wing radicals. What that's not true? And OKC isn't a flat barren town with right wing nut jobs? No Way! Are we Denver? No. But there sure are worse places to be than here.
True - there's always Tulsa

Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,328,828 times
I find the actual city of Denver itself, as well as some of its suburbs, is very comparable to the Twin Cities. Similar size, similar amenities, and similar quality of life. The main differences are:
  • Climate: Twin Cities have very cold winters that last 4-5 months with little relief and humid summers. Denver on the other hand has very mild winters with occasional Arctic cold blasts and snowstorms, as well as dry summers.
  • Diversity: The Twin Cities are more diverse with a large Asian and African immigrant population. Also while the Twin Cities has its share of transplants, Denver has an even larger and more noticeable population of transplants.
  • Regional Identity: The Twin Cities are unmistakably Upper Midwest in accent and demeanor. Denver has a little Midwest influence, but is largely Western--which is especially evident once you leave the city and notice the wide open spaces and ranches when you leave the city. Areas immediately outside of the city, but within the metro area like Rocky Flats definitely have a Western feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver