Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:20 PM

246 posts, read 421,966 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to ask here why people feel the need to complain about the weather when it rains. California has been in an extreme drought for the last couple of years and needs moisture. The west in general has been dry.

What frustrates me is that the scripted complaining by the local news media; it is disgusting. It is almost as though they feel they have to complain about the rain like petulant little children, when instead they should be jumping up and down for joy. The hills are green, lakes are full, streams are flowing, I even read that the city of Denver has saved over $500,000 this year due to lower needs for watering public spaces.

I find complaining about the weather, particularly rain in dry western states to be profoundly selfish and a reflection of a corrupt and narcissistic worldview that thinks nothing about the greater world around them but only the hedonistic indulgences of today.

Please Denver, stop crying about some rain and be thankful that you are not a parched desert like CA is right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Have people (aside from the media) been complaining?

My brother and his wife got married in Denver in August, 1991.
That was a Very Rainy Summer.
I had planned a nice party the night before the wedding, and of course it was rained out; we moved inside.
The morning of the wedding: more rain. (supposed to be lucky, though, and it certainly has turned out to be a good marriage.)
We had several relatives come to the wedding from California.
They all remarked about how green everything was, and how lovely the rain felt.

A friend in Denver (from California) said her heat kicked on last week. That's pretty chilly. But every place, every climate gets its share of extremes.

I dunno about "hedonistic indulgences". I think sometimes people just need to vent, and then it passes. It's all ephemeral, just like the weather.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Its been quite awhile since i have seen, driven & walked in rain. I miss it ! My sisters in canon city say its been a very rainy summer. More then usual. If i can sell my home for a good price im outta here. Im just sick of the heat & dry climate.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM

6,797 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I don't think anyone, except for maybe the anchors at the local news stations, is complaining about the rain. At most, I've heard comments from co-workers about how this is an unusually wet summer, but nothing that I'd associate with complaining. I think the news stations do the same thing when it snows.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
A number of my co-workers were complaining last week.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,770 times
I've only heard people talking about how great it is that the reservoirs are full and they don't have to run their sprinklers very much. I suppose I griped about the weather when staring at my garden full of giant green tomatoes that just will not turn red - but surely, that can be excused.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,698 times
I find a lot of the original post to be over the top. Strong words for people's opinions on the weather, no? You won't hear anyone in my family complaining about the rain in relation to the lower water bill it brings. However, if I'm going somewhere and I'm walking and I get stuck in a downpour, yes I'm going to complain. Not sure that makes me "corrupt", "narcissistic", or "selfish" though...Please, forgive me for liking to stay dry.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
This has been one of my favorite summers here..no complaints from me. Before this we had been in a severe ten year+ drought..somewhere between this summer and the last few is ACTUALLY where we should be.. the last few years have been both brutally dry, and hot even for arid Colorado..

Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,471 times
I think people got un-used to it since we have been in drought but I remember the days when that was "normal' to have a nice thunderstorm every few days in the afternoons in the summer months. I love it and the more it rains, the better!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
This has been one of my favorite summers here..no complaints from me. Before this we had been in a severe ten year+ drought..somewhere between this summer and the last few is ACTUALLY where we should be.. the last few years have been both brutally dry, and hot even for arid Colorado..
Just curious: I know that the "10 year drought" is the conventional wisdom, but out of the 25+ years I've lived in CO there's only been watering restrictions once (in most Front Range cities) and that was in 2002. So how can you have a severe drought when there has been almost no impact on most Colorado residents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver