Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times

Advertisements

Where are the people? It's Lone Tree, so they're in their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Wow - I never knew there was so much Lone Tree hate....
People live different places for different reasons. Last I heard no one was forceably made to live in Lone Tree....don't like it don't live there but what is the point of dissing those who do? For the record I don't live in Lone Tree but I understand why people live there as well as I understand the reasons people don't live there....

Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Where are the people? It's Lone Tree, so they're in their cars.
Yes, and they are in their houses because they are mostly "indoor people" just like "indoor pets". You got to remember their house are the "Great Indoors" that are the target of this Sear's Chain---you can see this big store across from Park Meadows.

I have relatives in Lone Tree and I live in Arvada. When I pick up my aged parents, also in Arvada, we drive to Lone Tree for family events. I like to drive off the highway and go diagonally to Lone Tree. I like to drive through different areas and see characteristics that I cannot see from the highway.

It really amuses me that on days like Father's Day on any warm holiday, I will see people outdoors barbecuing and smoke, people outside on patios, in the front of the house and children playing, parks with many people, in the different types of neighborhoods, of different social status, that we cross to get to Lone Tree.

Ah, but once we get to the heart of Lone Tree, in this case Heritage Hills--you see a big absence of people outside---very few children and adults, and really no smell of barbecuing. It is all just like any other day in the neighborhood--quiet and tranquil. Albeit, you know there is one difference--you do not see the hoards of Hispanic Laborers cutting the lawn and trimming the bushes; they are outside in their neighborhood enjoying their Holiday.

What does it mean??? It just means to me, that people who have bigger luxurious homes--use them and stay in "The Great Indoors". While people who have smaller homes, use "The Great Outdoors".

This is not meant as criticism; it is just an interesting observation that I have made numerous times.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-22-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wow - I never knew there was so much Lone Tree hate....
People live different places for different reasons. Last I heard no one was forceably made to live in Lone Tree....don't like it don't live there but what is the point of dissing those who do? For the record I don't live in Lone Tree but I understand why people live there as well as I understand the reasons people don't live there....
I don't hate Lone Tree, maciesmom. Not at all. That said, it's a very affluent, car-dependent community, and it offers extremely limited housing choices: huge, luxury homes or apartments/condos. I apologize if my comment came across as snarky, but it's how I perceive the community, and I've spent a lot of time there.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-22-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I don't hate Lone Tree, maciesmom. Not at all. That said, it's a very affluent, car-dependent community, and it offers extremely limited housing choices: huge, luxury homes or apartments/condos. I apologize if my comment came across as snarky, but it's how I perceive the community, and I've spent a lot of time there.
There are a lot of large luxury homes but that is not all there is. People also need to remember Lone Tree, as a "city" really has only existed for 10 years. It has a long way to go to complete it's plan -(there actually is a long term plan for Lone Tree....). I'd venture to guess, that if you took some of the older and more established suburban communities, that when they were younger, some of the same comments were made about them. In fact, I have a friend who bought a home in Willow Creek when it was new, many of her friends made the same kinds of comments I'm reading here. It's like when people bash Aurora or other places. I just don't get why people seem to believe the wherever they live and the reasons they choose to live there are the end all for everyone....

Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Living in Tokyo now, I'm a little brainwashed...but...Where are the people? Nobody walking around the stores and even the restaurants were empty? Perhaps the photos were taken at a time of day people are not typically eating?
These pictures were taken at around 3:00 in the afternoon on a Friday. On a weekend you'd see a lot more people walking around the outdoor area of Park Meadows, for example. But outside of those designated areas, you won't see a whole lot of people out and about.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
These pictures were taken at around 3:00 in the afternoon on a Friday. On a weekend you'd see a lot more people walking around the outdoor area of Park Meadows, for example. But outside of those designated areas, you won't see a whole lot of people out and about.
That would explain it.

It really does seem like the developers did make some effort in designing an area that was at least varied and appealing as opposed to box store after box store. I like the area with the "stream"

As a restaurant developer I can also appreciate the many choices of restaurants without the big marquee chain stores.

If I spent as much money on a home as some of those people in Lone Tree has spent on their homes, I would want to enjoy my "great indoors" too...
Seems like Coloradans are never shy to get out and get active anyways.

Domo

Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times
We were looking at houses in the Heritage Hills development recently mainly because we heard the k-12 schools in the area were good. We liked the houses, but the neighborhood did come across as fairly homogenous. I didn't think about it much at the time, but in retrospect I think livecontent made and interesting point, I didn't notice anyone outside either...

Thanks for the great photos though!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:53 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,591 times
I don't think it's a question of hating Lone Tree. I do think that sometimes talking about something in a forum setting can come off a bit strong. Personally, it doesn't look like it's for me, but as maciesmom suggests, it may mature well over the years.

Different places do have different personalities...it would be great to see more photos of Lone Tree and other neighborhoods and suburbs around the area (which so many, including vegaspilgrim continue to do such a fine job with.) I think they provide an excellent window to the area for people who can't see it right now, as well as a healthy dose of realism.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
I liked those pictures. One that I really would like to know about was the one that showed a building with INDOOR SKYDIVING on it. Do you know what they meant by that?

I found a place in Las Vegas, during the mid 1970's, that had a huge fan mounted in the floor with a grated screen for the floor. Think a huge vertical wind tunnel. You wore a special pair of coveralls that had "wing" pockets so when you laid out with your arms in the cross position the air from the floor fan would lift you up and let you fly all around the building. A cable attached to your suit and the ceiling prevented you from crashing to the floor. IIRC it cost about $40 for ten minutes of flying time and there was a line two blocks long to get in. I have traveled all over the country and have never seen anything like that since. Even though I have to walk with a cane now I would still like to try that again. It is the closest thing to actually skydiving I can imagine.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver