Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,453 times

Advertisements

We took the kids to see a movie there last month, and we were really impressed. I'd been to Sears and Macy's, but hadn't really gone behind the front facade. It was lovely. Hope it thrives - seems to be a nice mix of chain store and somewhat unique businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I know this will put a smile on your face, chilicheesefries. Photo tour! I am very impressed with this mixed used development. The main word that comes to mind after seeing the Streets at Southglenn is... classy. Very classy. They did a great job with this-- this blows away Belmar!

Follow the link to my flickr page and click "Slideshow."

Streets at Southglenn (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52911193@N07/sets/72157624699666542/ - broken link)
I wanted to hear what others said before I said anything but only one comment thus far. Let me say thanks for the tour.

It blows away Belmar in being a nice place to go but it is unfortunately limited in the selection of shopping and it doesn't really have a store I go to very often.

They did a great job with the flowers and the landscaping and hopefully they keep it up into future years. It makes it a nice place to just walk. It seems pretty popular with the dinner and movie idea.

One thing that really stands out for me compared to other shopping area is how easy it is to get to (and I'm not just talking about how it is less than 10 minute walk for me). They don't try to funnel traffic in and out of one or two exits like most places. There are multiple access points and you don't have massive roads with medians in them that you can't turn left across. You can exit into the surrounding neighborhood or come from the surrounding neighborhoods without going to Arapahoe or University (but you wouldn't unless you lived in them) because access is so good to Arapahoe & University.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I got a chance to look around at this project and I think it was good idea to built it. It helps create a city center for Centennial. As far as the stores, I generally do not shop at these types of stores--too expensive for my wallet and taste. However, it does serve some people and the grounds are nice to take a walk.

Is it better than Belmar? I do not think so; it has the same mix of stores but Belmar seems bigger. For me to make these places work, it would have to have some good basic shopping. Belmar has closer basic shopping with King Soopers across the street and Walmart down the road on Wadsworth.
Basic shopping is a little further out from "Streets" but there is a King Soopers, just east on Arapahoe, across from the Kaiser Facility.

Public transit is better near Belmar with buses but Streets of Southglenn is closer to a rail station, east on Arapahoe; but that will soon change as a rail station will open west on Alameda, down from Belmar.

It is nice to see these developments but I prefer older areas that have less expensive stores that a poor man, like me, needs, I like a little old and gritty with cheap and authentic--give me South Federal, Broadway and Colfax--these are places to saunter along and shop.

Livecontent

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Is it better than Belmar? I do not think so; it has the same mix of stores but Belmar seems bigger. For me to make these places work, it would have to have some good basic shopping. Belmar has closer basic shopping with King Soopers across the street and Walmart down the road on Wadsworth.
Basic shopping is a little further out from "Streets" but there is a King Soopers, just east on Arapahoe, across from the Kaiser Facility.

Public transit is better near Belmar with buses but Streets of Southglenn is closer to a rail station, east on Arapahoe; but that will soon change as a rail station will open west on Alameda, down from Belmar.

Livecontent
I won't argue that Streets of Southglenn has better shopping and I myself am disappointed that it went so upscale with it's store/restaurant selection as they are also not places I shop regularly. And it is no doubt smaller than Belmar because the redevelopment only included the old mall and nothing else was included. I will argue that aethestically it is better than Belmar. In addition here are some others positives that Southglenn has:

1)Sales tax is 6.85% at Southglenn with no PIF. At Belmar it is 5.6% + 2.5% PIF (effective rate of 8.24% since you pay sales tax on the PIF). Also Centennial has no tax on food, Lakewood does.

2)Basic shopping isn't right at Southglenn but it is very close. There is a Rite-Aid and Walgreens right across the street from Southglenn. And across the street means close since Southglenn is smaller. There is an Albertsons 1/2 mile away and the King Soopers you mention isn't even the closest King Soopers - there is one at University & Dry Creek that is closer. There is a Target at University & County Line.

3)Bus transit is still pretty good at Southglenn

4)Southglenn is easier to get into and out of! I had to repeat this because it is one of the main advantages. Alameda & Wadsworth are both nightmares. University & Arapahoe are not.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
The library at Southglenn is a nice touch. Surprised they didn't include a book store at either since those are great evening traffic drivers.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
The library at Southglenn is a nice touch. Surprised they didn't include a book store at either since those are great evening traffic drivers.
Southglenn was supposed to have the flagship B&N for Denver but they pulled out. Their front was the large open one just north of Sears off the University Blvd. side.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,344,447 times
I've heard from one of my planner friends that Bel Mar is 'tanking' but haven't really seen any info to indicate this. Does anyone know anything about this?

I think Streets of Southglenn is well done. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to check it out a few months ago. Yeah, it's a bit upscale, but it's a nice place to walk around and grab a cup of coffee.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I've heard from one of my planner friends that Bel Mar is 'tanking' but haven't really seen any info to indicate this. Does anyone know anything about this?
I'd be interested to see some numbers for Southglenn. It has quite a high vacancy rate but I don't know of anybody that's come in and then went out (although there are some merchants that were going to come in and pulled out - Barnes & Noble, Deli Zone etc). It is mostly just room to expand. It seems busy but I'd be curious to see if the numbers are good for it.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
If Belmar was tanking they would stop building the Rack immediately. Since its still going up and every time I have been there it was quite crowded I have to think the idea is a fallacy. It may not be as good as hoped when it first hit the drawing board, but surely there is enough going on there to keep it running fine.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Target is also currently being built in Belmar, due to open in the Spring. Next to Nordstrom Rack, Best Buy is also being built. Also, there's also a new restaurant coming in ("upscale" burger joint). Tanking - I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver