Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times

Advertisements

If I only had one day to see Denver, I wouldn't park my car but would stay in it for the first part of the day. I would have breakfast at a local, and new restaurant - Snooze at 7th and Colorado. The one in Lodo is fine but not first thing in the morning. Get there before 9:00 so you don't have a wait.

Drive the tree canopied streets/parkways of east 6th, east 7th, Monaco, Montview and east 17th. All are historic desigated neighborhoods and you will see the history of our residential living. These are the neighborhoods of (Hale, Crestmoore, Park Hill, Congress and Capitol Hill).

You need to check out the park system, by car due to one here for the day. Denver has more parks then any other city and all well maintained. Check out City Park (East High School/Denver Zoo/Museum of Nature and Science/MLK monument and the famous view from the east side of the museum (you will need to park and walk 1/2 block but worth it)). Washington Park (South High school/the lakes/the Boat house and a very tree covered and one of the most popular neighborhoods). Drive through the Denver Country Club nieghborhood for more history and then through Cherry Creek North (Denver's Rodeo Dr.). 1st Ave from the Country Club area becomes Speer and will lead you right to downtown, however, you may want to take Downing or Clarkson to see the Capitol Hill neighborhoods.

Colfax driving and Broadway driving are a must to see two of the cities life line streets. Colfax is the longest 'commercial' road in the country, so expect anything and everything. I recommend seeing the Bascillica and the State Capitol. On Broadway, check out the Denver Art Museum and if you like antiques - there are scores of shops furthere down, like at Louisana and Broadway.

The Highlands could be great for lunch, the intersection of 32nd and Lowell has many options. Check out Sloan's Lake Park, Lake Jr. High, Berkeley Park/Lakeside, Rocky Mountain Park. The Lower Highlands has some great food as well, Mexican - Taquerio Patzquaro, Pasquillini's, Duo, Lola and great veiws of the city.

Downtown, park the car. As many have mentioned, 16th street Mall shuttle is free and runs the 1 mile distance of the entire mall. Check out the lobby at the Brown Palace, the lobby of the Equittable building, the lounge "Altitude" in the Hyatt (27th floor view), Museum of Contemporary Art, the Denver Center of Performing Arts, the Blue Bear at the Convention Center, Civic Center Park, The Daniel's and Fisher tower on the mall, Larimer Square.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:06 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus303 View Post
What's with all this inner city stuff - you can do that in any city. I always take visiting Russians to the dinosaur bones and footprints on Dinosaur Ridge. Right across the hwy. is Red Rocks park with great views of Denver. How about right up the road onto Lookout Mt. (Buffalo Bill museum if you must see a museum). Down the mt. then for a quick tour and brew at Coors.

If I only had a day I wouldn't waste it in the city.
I disagree that the city proper is a waste of time as I thoroughly enjoyed LoDo, Highlands, City Park, etc...I live in Los Angeles now and I felt Denver was far more interesting architecturally and culturally in my eyes.

That said, those are all great suggestions above that I wouldn't have thought of (well, I have thought of the beer) and would love to check out perhaps the next time I'm in town!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
You have to keep in mind, a place can look totally different to people who live there day in, day out, and people visiting for the first time.

I second the suggestion of Golden-- it's a very "uniquely Colorado" kind of place. Also for someone just spending a day Boulder may be a better destination than downtown Denver. A fun filled day could include Golden, Boulder, and a drive into the mountains on the Peak-to-Peak highway (CO-119), Black Hawk and Central City, all in a big loop.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Vegas, the OP wants to stay away from 'Tourist' traps, not be lead into them. Golden has a ton on kincknack shops and the tour of Coors, the only thing to see in Boulder would be the mall, but I would recomment the Flatirons. Gambling in Black Hawk or Central city is totally tourist action.

Op may want to tell us more about their wants, I gave plenty of areas that aren't tourist oriented but other then that, we only know you have 1 day here and that you are in your mid twenties.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Vegas, the OP wants to stay away from 'Tourist' traps, not be lead into them.
Good point. It still is possible though to have fun even at tourist traps, especially if you've never seen it before. That was kind of my point-- places that Denver locals might take for granted, been there done that, might be kind of cool and interesting to people who haven't ever been there before (like the Pearl St mall in Boulder, for example). Reminds me of a discussion recently on the ABQ forum. Most people on that forum think that Albuquerque is a much more real, down to earth, authentic city than Santa Fe, which has been turned into a pure tourist trap. But for someone who has never been to New Mexico before, very first trip, most people agreed that Santa Fe is a must see. Likewise with Boulder/Denver. But I digress-- I think your suggestions are pretty good. I nominate you, Denver Aztec, as the official tourguide of Denver.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 09-12-2009 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Good point. ... But I digress-- I think your suggestions are pretty good. I nominate you, Denver Aztec, as the official tourguide of Denver.
HaHaHa! Don't tour guides get paid?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM

12 posts, read 32,373 times
Thanks DA! You have given me a lot to look into! Your assistance is much appreciated. With regard to tourist traps, I guess I could have been more specific. We want to stay away from places like chains, souvenir shops, and contrived 'shopping malls'. I would rather see what makes the city unique and eat great local food.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 PM

12 posts, read 32,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artspeck View Post
Too much good stuff to do in a day, but check out some of my videos of Denver on my hub: Denver Colorado Tourist

Heading west to CA, please don't miss out Glenwood Springs either.

Safe Journey, Art
what's in glenwood springs?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unity1721 View Post
When are the drummers usually at Confluence Park?? I'm new to Denver and would love to check this out.
Was surprised no-one answered this. Thought I'd give it a bump in case it got missed. I'd be curious to know as well. When we visited this summer we saw them on Sunday night, but I don't know how regular that is.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 PM

18 posts, read 104,515 times
[quote=steveindenver;10670793]LOL. A realtor writes. Newsflash; the highlands area is dead now. There never was and never will be anything in that area that anyone wants to visit. The cheap prices that brought people in before they realized there were no schools? Gone.

A native you are not. A realtor with a vested interest you are.

I am not a realtor and I AM a native who lives IN HIGHLANDS - it is FAR FROM dead - try visiting it some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver