Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:46 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times

Advertisements

I talked to somebody last week in my cab in Boston, briefly talking about various cities. When I mentioned I've thought of moving to Denver for several years, he asked if I've ever visited Denver.

I told him no, but the convention and visitor's bureau catalogues I've had mailed to me the past few years obviously made it look appealing.

He cleared his throat, then told me he doesn't know how to describe Denver in a pc way, but then called it "white trash and hillbillies...many people without teeth."

I was shocked, as I'd never heard this about Denver; I've talked with many people in recent years about your city, and usually receive positive feedback, save for the occasional cowtown, or it'll never be world class (from a central Mass. transplant of 20 years) comments.

I do read here and elsewhere that the public schools in Colorado are not that good, and the ducated people one meets in Denver are college grads from other states. Perhaps? But then he should have also noted that, no?

Hmm...he even targeted Boulder as uneducated. I mentioned that perhaps Boulderand Denver may attract aging hippies who don't present well but are otherwise educated. No, he claimed.

He was a well-travelled, artsy type ( likely gay) black male about 30 years old, for what it's worth.

I even received an e-mail from a Craigslist post last year from a Columbia University (NYC) grad with a ph.D, complaining how his educational credentials are wasted in your city. He's from Worcester. Mass., 45 miles from Boston. Few people would recognize Columbia in Colorado, I admit.

Yet, my impression of Denver is young, fit and educated people.

Again, hmm...

Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
I could easily deconstruct every one of those attacks you have heard, but really, it's all about pompousness, ignorance, and jealousy. To those snobby elitist east coasters you're talking about, I say eff'em. Who needs 'em? Just goes to show how dumb the so called edjamucated can really be. Secure people can live full, meaningful, productive lives without needing the validation of others.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Just don't believe everything you hear.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Lol!

When I moved to Colorado from the east coast I was absolutely blown away by the misconceptions that east coasters had about Colorado. It was like people had watched one too many old west movies and they didn't understand that Colorado was a part of modern day society.

I find it completely ridiculous to even think that that few people in Colorado would recognize Columbia University. That would be like saying that east coasters have probably never even heard of Stanford since it's all the way on the west coast.

C'mon.

Last edited by Dorthy; 09-13-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 AM

18 posts, read 104,536 times
I had to laugh when I read this because it is so opposite how I would describe Denver. As for Boulder, it is home to CU-Boulder, one of the best known schools in this region. Perhaps he had the misfortune of transporting students around who were on something other than their best behavior - I would contend Boulder, with its very high cost of living, is quite educated, and well cared for medically.

Denver too has 600K in the city, take the suburbs into account, and that number jumps to nearly 2 million - so we are far from hillbillies and toothless joes. Denver's social scene is thriving, everything from pubs and great restaurants to arts and theater.

Like others have said, don't believe everything you hear.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
My kids went to college out of state, one to Minnesota and one to Indiana. People asked them the nuttiest questions, e.g. "do you ski to school?", "do you ride horses to school?", etc. They were surprised to find my kids were pretty much suburban mall rats!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,090,216 times
Actually nearly, if not over, 3 million COMP33SN, when you toss in the burbs.

What did you say this guy did for a living, drove cabs, yet was an expert on Denver. Or you met him in a cab?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:00 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,846,720 times
Hi! I just saw this when I signed on but I wanted to tell you that I am from New England and I have never heard anything like that about people from Denver!!!!

Actually, just the opposite....down to earth, friendly people!!!

I have read a lot of ridiculous stuff on here....and people just looking to start something on here, too!

Just laugh it off!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:41 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,698 times
What planet was that guy from? That's like me saying that Boston is weird because they all wear powdered wigs and the cobblestones are hard on your feet.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
East Coasters are arrogant about their urban areas and their culture, which is drastically different than anywhere out west except maybe San Fran. Of course they're going to demean Denver as podunk, it's their nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver