Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 PM

28 posts, read 81,192 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm about to make a life change and move to Colorado. I love the mountains so much! I come from Chicago so I am definitely an 'urbanite' and would prefer to live in an urban area. Any good recommendations for single 30-40s neighborhood, with shops / restaurants within walking distance. I think Cherry Creek is probably going to be too far out of my budget, and I'm not looking for a party-college town either. Just a nice urban area with like-minded people and lots to do. Near public xportation would be ideal. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:02 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,989,400 times
There's really not anywhere in Denver "urban" like Chicago. The closest I think we have would be Capitol Hill. I suggest trying there. You can pretty much walk to all your basic necessities there, as well as be close to the hub of public transit at civic Center Station, and the many buses that pass through that area. I prefer the southern part of Capitol Hill, around Governor's Park, or you can also look east, toward Cheesman Park, but if you're more keen to be close to nightlife, you can try moving north (toward Colfax), or west (toward Broadway).

As a bonus, all the areas I mentioned are pretty reasonable in terms of rent, though parking is not always provided with all rental units in Capitol Hill. If you don't have parking, you can usually park on the street, and if you're lucky it might even be close to your apartment. You can definitely try going without a car, but few do that because it's hard to get into the mountains without a car, and most people here like to escape to the mountains on weekend days.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:12 PM

360 posts, read 1,127,902 times
Hi, we are in the same boat. I also think you will like and appreciate Capitol Hill, as Denver's playground for us urbanites. I am concentrating my search in the area, specifically between Broadway/Lincoln and Cheeseman Park and SoCo. When are you planning to move? Making a visit ahead of time?

I suggest using this google map link, then go through the area and use street view. It will give you a general feel for the area.

Also, there are alot of bus routes (http://www.rtd-denver.com/SystemMaps/denver.shtml - broken link) here, but it's pretty walkable too. 11th Ave and Pearl St. is exactly one mile from Broadway/16th St. As far as a single female walking around I don't think you would have a problem, I feel its very safe. Don't pay attention to people talking about crime in the area, I feel very safe, but you still would want to take precautions as you would in most cities. Colfax is cleaning up and isn't as bad as it has been. Colfax is now known more for coffee shops and music venues.

Go here to view the neighborhood guide.

Also, I think the Highlands area (LoHi) is worth checking out. I will keep this area as an option too, but it too seems walkable and within easy reach of downtown.

You are making a great choice to live in Colorado!

Thanks to Google, denver.org, wikipedia, denvergov.org and rtd for the info!

Last edited by 5280milehiguy; 10-31-2009 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:27 AM

28 posts, read 81,192 times
Default Thank you so much

Thanks very much to both of you - this is terrific feedback. My plan is to move after the winter. The job I believe I will accept will be in Lakewood so I'll keep my jeep (must have thought ahead of time with the 4WD!). I really appreciate the comment that I am making a great choice - this is really hard for me to leave my family but I'm ready for this. Chicago is a 2 hour plane trip so I'll probably see them more if anything.

I will be coming in frequently before I move, I have friends there who are showing me around next week. I'm very familiar with Summit County as I have a rental property there so I've been sucked in by Colly Roddy for years, it's just time to make it my lifestyle and not only my escape!

I think public xportation is such a nice alternative to get in and around the city - I'm so used to it but I probably don't need it as much as I think. My concern is when I'm enjoying the nightlife, not having to be at the mercy of driving is always nice. But that's certainly not my number one priority. just funny what we get used to.

I realize I'm not making an apples to apples comparison on the 2 cities, but the references in this thread are a great place to start, as I will more likely buy a condo as soon as I get planted. Any other ideas that come up please send them my way! Thanks!
Michelle

Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 AM

11,841 posts, read 34,485,074 times
Depending on where your job will be in Lakewood; I'd look at Belmar, Green Mountain...certainly not urban...but cute and walkable.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,798,255 times
neighborhoods immediately west of downtown.
also washington park

Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Yes, I agree take a look at the neighborhoods immediately west of downtown, very nice as well.

Lakewood, if you will be driving out that way, CapHill is a great place to live, easy access to 6th Ave which runs into Lakewood. A light rail line is also being built out that way, which may or may not be convenient to use when it's done, keep it open as an option.

LoHi is easy to walk to LoDo after you've had a few, and of course CapHill would be convenient to LoDo (when you take the mall shuttle to Civic Center Station) and of course easy to walk to Colfax and the SoCo entertainment district. There are so many options it's not even funny, and you will not have to drive. Also, there are a good amount of local taverns within the confines of CapHill that you can easily walk to. As you can tell, I'm a fan of the area.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:50 PM

23 posts, read 69,815 times
I just wanted to say thank you for your question. I have wanted to know the same type of information as well about Denver. I am moving there after the new year to make a life change. I just got back from visting there and was unable to see alot of the places people suggested but they sound great. Hopefully this will be able to help us both.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM

40 posts, read 176,058 times
I would say give Glendale a shot, it's close to Cherry Creek but far enough away that you see the living prices go down. The light rail is close by so that gives you the option of public transportation. There are plenty of places you can walk to for food or entertainment and from what I have noticed there isn't too much loud partying going on in this area either. Good luck with your search!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Allow me to interject here, but I think it's great so many people are interested in city life here in Denver. Congrats all on your decision to move to the Centennial State.

Also, there have been quite a few posts here on various neighborhoods, please see the photo tours from recent shots in Captiol Hill, Cherry Creek North, Glendale, etc.

Cherry Creek (Denver) photo thread:
Cherry Creek North: Shopping & Neighborhood -- PHOTO TOUR

Leetsdale Rd (Glendale) photo thread:
Parker Rd/ Leetsdale Dr -- PHOTO TOUR

Mostly downtown, very nice, some from CapHill:
Christmas in Capitol Hill, Golden Triangle, Parade of Lights -- PHOTO TOUR

**Please have some available bandwidth to view these**

Glendale is a close in area, just east of Cherry Creek, although doesn't have light rail, downtown can be accessed easily by the 83L route, and it's frequent. There are some nice ethnic enclaves here and a rugby team plays in Glendale.

Good luck with your search, I think you'll all be happy in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver