Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM

22 posts, read 53,721 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I've been lurking on these forums for awhile and decided to register and get some info. My wife and I currently have one child, 9 months, and recently found out we have another on the way. We plan to have anywhere from 2-4 children. I'm looking for a nice suburb with good schools. A few of my biggest concerns:

1. Schools
2. Cost of the house
3. Jobs
4. Proximity to wilderness/city

My main concern is schools, if I have to drive further to work or pay more, by all means I will do it. I'm building a future for my children and am willing to make some sacrifices to give them the best opportunity. I work in the IT sector (Network/Security/Telcom Admin) and would like to locate near a tech sector of the city. I've browsed and heard people mention the northwest and southeast of Denver have these. Is that true? For my work, I can really work anywhere, but it would be nice to be located near a tech sector so I don't have to worry about a huge commute.

My wife is planning to stay home and do her photography business on the side, so that's not an issue.

So there's my first questions really, what suburbs have the better rated schools and what areas of Denver have more tech jobs? I'd prefer to live along the 470 (about 15 miles from downtown) so I'm not looking at the true suburbs, but a bit more rural... but not too far of a drive.. if that makes any sense. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 PM

291 posts, read 911,735 times
Check out www.schoolperformancemaps.com/co. They show where each school is plus there are links for you to activate for more in depth analysis.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
15 miles from downtown is still the "true suburbs".

You can check all the school websites you want, it still boils down to what works for your own kids. The open enrollment laws are pretty lenient in CO, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the school district.

The high tech areas are the Denver Tech Center, downtown Denver, Broomfield and Boulder. However, with the recession still going on, you can't count on getting a job in any one of those areas. Since your child is just 9 months, I'd recommend getting a job, renting for a while and buying a house when you've settled in. You will then know what your likes and dislikes around the metro area are.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 AM

22 posts, read 53,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
15 miles from downtown is still the "true suburbs".

You can check all the school websites you want, it still boils down to what works for your own kids. The open enrollment laws are pretty lenient in CO, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the school district.

The high tech areas are the Denver Tech Center, downtown Denver, Broomfield and Boulder. However, with the recession still going on, you can't count on getting a job in any one of those areas. Since your child is just 9 months, I'd recommend getting a job, renting for a while and buying a house when you've settled in. You will then know what your likes and dislikes around the metro area are.
We wouldn't actually move there for a couple years most likely, I'm just trying to do some initial planning.

So the Northwest and Southeast are the best areas for tech? The West side of Denver looks pretty nice (Golden area), are there any tech areas near that or are they only in the two aforementioned areas?

The suburbs for those two areas look nice, Parker and Highland Ranch for the Southeast area and Broomfield/Louisville for the Northwest.. does that sound about right or is that too far of a commute for the areas?

Does Boulder have any Tech areas? If so, I could move between Denver/Boulder and have the choice of two cities to work at..

Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Yes, Boulder has lots of tech. I would still recommend getting the job, then looking for the home. Do not choose a home solely on school district reputation. You may be very disappointed if the school does not live up to your expectations. There are very few "bad" districts in Colorado and you are not likely to want to buy a house in one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver