Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

That's the thing, even when it is below zero, or snowing heavily, chances are that within 36 hours, we'll wake up to a bright sunny day with temps in the 30's/40's (at least).

There are plenty of places around the country that don't have the "benefit" of that.

I've never experienced a winter harsher than Denver's, but I would definitely NOT consider winter here to be harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Anyone who thinks Denver winters are harsh needs to go spend some time where winter is ,well, WINTER. Ask the folks up in the Upper Midwest how winter is about now.

People P and M about 28°. Put a minus in front of that--then you have something to complain about.

If you want winter without winter, then Denver--or anyplace in Colorado-ain't it. Move, or "buck up, little camper."

Old 12-27-2009, 03:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
In Longmont you had "weeks" of sub-zero temps? Just checking the NWS website for the Denver Boulder area...in December there were 6 days (total - non consecutive) days where the minimum temp was below zero....and about 11 inches total of snow... This has been a chilly December but if it were typically that cold we wouldn't even be talking about it....

ETA - interestingly enough, we had 8 days where the maximum temp was over 50 deg......
Its funny how people really remember the super cold days and think there's more of them than there actually were, while forgetting the warm days. Those sub zero low must make quite an impression! I spent a week in Denver a couple of Februarys ago and the temps ranged from a low of 6 to a high of 48 according to Weather Underground. It wasn't that bad. I was actually plenty warm during the day with just a medium weight jacket that I wear sometimes in SoCal. Gotta love the warmth from the sun in Denver! But then I've spent time in a grocery store freezer that's about zero with a stiff breeze coming off the blower. That that's cold.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Spend some time in Detroit, Chicago or Minneapolis during the winter....LOL - that will put some perspective on things...

Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinny01 View Post
the people who keep saying that Denver has a mild winter. So far we have had a couple feet of snow dump on Denver this fall & winter and below zero temperatures. It has been in the 30s and teens during this fall and winter and will continue to be according to the latest forecast.
The past couple storms are good examples of the snow NOT melting the next day, as everyone says. It is all relative. I am from a foggy area of California, so I'm not used to the cold temps and snow, but I'll take a clear cold day over a foggy one any day. I've never experienced the midwestern winters that many compare CO to when they say it is mild here. ETA last winter was so mild my kids hardly wore their long underwear, hardly went sledding, and I taught my son to ride his bike without training wheels in January.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
The past couple storms are good examples of the snow NOT melting the next day, as everyone says. It is all relative. I am from a foggy area of California, so I'm not used to the cold temps and snow, but I'll take a clear cold day over a foggy one any day. I've never experienced the midwestern winters that many compare CO to when they say it is mild here. ETA last winter was so mild my kids hardly wore their long underwear, hardly went sledding, and I taught my son to ride his bike without training wheels in January.
No two winters are alike here, and I'd say this was the crappiest/coldest Fall I've experienced in Denver. Summer was wetter and cooler than normal too, but i didn't mind that. We've had snow on the ground in our yard on the north side of our house now since about Nov. 15th.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We've had snow on the ground in our yard on the north side of our house now since about Nov. 15th.
The original October storm hasn't melted from my north side!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I think that 15" or so was gone about 2 days and then the Nov. snow hit! Three winters ago when we had several feet in late Dec. and into Jan., the snow didn't melt until I personally shoveled it off the grass in March (it's a small yard) and even so, I had some dead patches of grass. At this point, I expect to have snow there until March again, unless we have no more snow and a lot of days in the 50s/60s in January. The way this winter is going, I doubt that will happen. But at least I don't have "feet" of snow this winter. Yet.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:31 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
This is my 3rd winter in Denver and so far, this one is the worst in terms of snow and cold. I'm over it already. With that said, even this crappy winter is head and shoulders above a typical West Michigan winter. At least we get regular sunshine................

Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I was trying to remember if the original October snow ever melted off our deck. I don't think it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver