Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times

Advertisements

First, I would like to ask that this thread not be turned into a "New Homes are Poorly Built" forum.

We bought a house 2 years ago that was built in 2001. It is a 2 story home with 4 bedrooms/2 baths on the 2nd floor and the main living spaces (kitchen, bathroom, family room and living room) on the ground floor. We have an unfinished walkout basement as well. We aren't financially ready to do major renovations but would like to start working on making our home more energy efficient a few steps at a time and wanted to get some inputs or suggestions from those who know more about this than we do.

The problems, I believe, right now that need to be resolved are:

1. The kitchen and family room sit over the unfinished basement. When we go in the basement, I don't believe there is any insulation between the basement ceiling and the floor upstairs and if you walk across the wood floors in your bare feet, you can feel the cold air from the basement coming up through the floor. It's very cold and in one particular place in the corner of the kitchen, you can feel cold air coming from the outside and in through the bottom cabinets. When we try to inspect that specific area, we can't find anything obvious, but there is definitely a cold draft coming into the house. In the basement, when you look up at the ceiling, you can see the exposed beams...it's unfinished, so perhaps that would be easier to intall insulation?

2. Two bedrooms are above the garage and the temperature drops significantly in the winter (though it's nice in the summer). We have purchased a space heater for the hallway which helps to warm up the rooms, but were wondering if anyone has any tips how to better insulate it (the garage is finished so there is drywall on the ceiling.

3. Windows. The family room has a large window and when you sit on the couch, you can feel a cold draft coming from that window. I did a test recommended by Xcel energy with a piece of paper and the draft is enough to actually make a light piece of paper move. We currently have heavy curtains that hang on either side of the window and we have blinds.

Anyone have any good ideas? I've been on the XCel energy site and have seen a few comments about window film, blown insulation, etc. We aren't big do-it-yourself'ers and aren't paying exhorbitant energy bills, but clearly there is some "sealing" that needs to be done. Has anyone done an energy audit with Xcel? Thanks in advance for your inputs. Again, we love our house, but since we plan on living in it for many years, we want to make it as comfortable and energy efficient as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:46 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Responsible By Nature - try wrapping your basement as a start.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM

137 posts, read 466,921 times
I would suggest the Energy audit but Xcel. We have not had it yet but plan on doing it towards the end of February so we can prioritize where to start on making the house more energy efficient. I can PM you when we do have it done and let you know our thoughts. I know, for us, there are quite a few opportunites but want to start with the biggest bang for the buck so to speak.. Also from there I believe they can recommend people for the various needs.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALGAL222 View Post
I would suggest the Energy audit but Xcel. We have not had it yet but plan on doing it towards the end of February so we can prioritize where to start on making the house more energy efficient. I can PM you when we do have it done and let you know our thoughts. I know, for us, there are quite a few opportunites but want to start with the biggest bang for the buck so to speak.. Also from there I believe they can recommend people for the various needs.
That would be great, thank you! I think nearly every house could use a little help. As I said before, we're not paying outrageous prices for electricity, but it would be nice not to have freezing feet. There is a lot that can be done and I would love to prioritize a list that we can work on when we have money. It would be really helpful if XCel gives you the biggest bang for your buck advice...we could use that too. Do you know how long it takes to get an appointment?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM

137 posts, read 466,921 times
Sorry, been away from PC for awhile.
Calling to schedule the audit is on my list for next week, , it has been on my list every week since I heard about it in uh, September. Next week is the week, really!

Like you, I like the idea of being able to prioritize where to spend the extra money when you have it. I don't know that they do that for you but I do think they tell you the biggest energy wasters and from there you can prioritize costs, etc.

As for the cold feet, cheap solution-- SLIPPERS, on clearance because stores need room for the flip flops!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALGAL222 View Post
As for the cold feet, cheap solution-- SLIPPERS, on clearance because stores need room for the flip flops!
Thanks for the update and I am looking forward to hearing what advice they give you.

For me, it's fuzzy Crocs. It's why I've never noticed the cold floor before. However, a few weeks ago, I put them in the wash and they took forever to dry so I walked around in my bare feet. That's when I noticed the cold air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver