Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 41,069 times

Advertisements

Hi, My three brothers live in Denver. They live in the downtown area and cherry creek. They are all single and don't have kids, so they don't really know what our needs are. My elderly mom just moved from Utah to Stapleton. Our plan is to sell our house here on Hilton Head Island and move to be closer to family. I've visited Denver often, but never imagined myself living there. We are looking for a house around $300K that is kid and dog friendly. My daughter is five and I would like to have an area where she could walk or bike to friends, as she grows up. She has very minor special needs, and schools are important. But I don't want cookie cutter either. I'm used to having some space and lots of trees and green around me and I realize Colorado is dry. I don't think I want to be in the plains area, more in the foothills. Can anyone recommend some neihborhoods that may fit some of these thoughts? Also, my husband is a small engine repair expert and does alot of golf course and landscape equipment. I'm really at a loss and am just going in circles as far as settling on a local to search in. I would like to be around 30 minutes from my mom, or so...i would appreciate ANY thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM

11,829 posts, read 34,444,869 times
Can you move mountains? Lots of family friendly areas 30 minutes from Mom. But Mom ain't 30 minutes from the foothills. Golf courses easy to find too.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 AM

yes, we are definitely considering the mountains...what area's could you suggest? Thanks for your reply!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
If you need to be 30 min. from your mom, you will not be able to live in the foothills/mountains. If DH has to find a job, it would probably be better to rent first, then buy a house.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM

291 posts, read 911,835 times
I would stick to the western suburbs and stay out of the foothills. I live in Ken-Caryl Ranch, which has many of the things you say you want. Your price range would put you on the east side of C-470. You could do in 30 minutes Stapleton once rush hour was over. As you go further north on C-470 that communte time would lessen. Does your husband plan on doing his repair business out of the home? If so, he will have problems with many community covenants. You might consider some sections of Lakewood or Wheatridge. These are older homes in established communities with plenty of tall trees so as not to give that living on the plains feel, plus these communites also have good parks and trails.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:54 PM

I like the looks of Lakewood and wheatridge...thank you, I am going to look further in these area's...My DH will probably not be working out of the home, as he will need to have employment very soon after moving....I also liked the Jeffco Open School. It's hard to get a clear picture of things from the web. We are planning a trip to check things out in a few weeks. any more specific info is still appreciated...!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,659 times
You might want to do some more research about Jeffco open school.. just to make sure it's the right fit.. I've heard more cons than pros. I live in Lakewood and love it.. but it's not close to Stapleton.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:52 PM

18 posts, read 48,141 times
If schools are important, the Cherry Creek School district in the southeast metro area is very highly regarded. The district is located mainly in south Aurora and Centennial, which is in your price range. This would be less than a 30 minute commute to Stapleton. Cherry Creek schools seem to be in less of a budget crisis than some of the other districts right now.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Littleton has some beautiful areas in the foothills. In fact Littleton extends up into the mountains and these areas are definitely green as much as you can expect around Denver. However Littleton is more distance away. Some of the older neighborhoods in the central part of Denver also have a lot of trees and are pretty nice.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM

30 posts, read 71,882 times
I used to teach at the Jeffco Open School so would be happy to share thoughts.

I also think Golden might be a good option for you, or, as someone else suggested, an older Denver neighborhood.

I used to commute from Englewood (a bit north of Littleton proper) to Stapleton, and it was a horrible drive. There is no direct access to Stapleton from the south side of Denver, so I'd avoid it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver