Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,624 times

Advertisements

I am looking to re-locate to the Denver area (from Raleigh, NC) and have applied with the University of Colorado Hospital. What are some good areas/neighborhoods that are a close commute and in safe areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
buying? renting? price range? commute? likes? wants? needs? want to avoids????????

Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Are we talking about the one in Aurora? Not a great area, might have to commute a bit.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 PM

Hello David? C-D calling David!

There is nothing wrong with all of Aurora.

Name me one city that is terrible from one end to another, in the US?

none. quit bashing Aurora.

//www.city-data.com/city/Aurora-Colorado.html

They have a wide demographic, lots of housing types, close to job central, affordable, beautiful views....

Old 02-13-2010, 03:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
The whole health science center in Aurora is pretty new, opened within the past 2-3 years, so there's not a ton of housing out there yet in the immediate vicinity. There are many neighborhoods in east Denver that aren't too long of a commute.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

They have a wide demographic, lots of housing types, close to job central, affordable, beautiful views....
Is that what I said? The immediate area near the hospital isn't great, I never said anything about Aurora as a whole. I mean, I live there!

Old 02-14-2010, 04:15 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

LOL, sorry out of reps for you. But, I do appreciate being called out like that.

CAUTION!!! EVERYTHING I SAY IN THE PARAGRAPH BELOW IS MEANT TO BE TONGUE IN CHEEK. DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE APT TO BEING OFFENDED. THESE ARE COMPLETE GENERALIZATIONS.

It just depends on how high up in the air your nose is. If you walk around with your head tilted down, you could probably live near the hospital. If you hold your head level, any of the middle class neighborhoods between Alameda and Iliff would be suitable. If your nose is a little higher up than level, between Iliff and Quincy would work. If your throat hurts from keeping your nose up so high, then south of Quincy and SE Aurora it is (I've lived in the level one, and the throat hurts one).

There is something for everybody in Aurora, so long as one is willing to venture out and find it. If it was all bad, then so many people wouldn't live there. There are 300,000 of them, and growing.

That being said: Good areas are where you fit into that generalization list above. Good means something different to everybody. The lower your nose is, the closer you are to the hospital. IMO, most of Aurora is safe. Others might say that only SE Aurora is safe (the furthest one), but IMO they may have a distorted definition of the word, but that creates a lot of controversy so I'll just leave it at that.

But no one says you have to live in Aurora anyway, there are parts of Denver not too far off as well. You have options in either one. It all depends on how much $$$ you can/want to spend, and how far you want to commute.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 AM

6,789 posts, read 9,337,164 times
I think Aurora really does have something for everybody.. but David makes a good point -- you can still live relatively close to the hospital by living in east Denver as well, so there are a few options there too.

I'll be honest and say that North Aurora isn't my cup of tea -- most specifically areas north of Colfax but west of 225. It's probably silly for me to say this, but I don't own a home right now, but I've looked, and I've also looked in North Aurora. It's a good deal for someone who doesn't mind an up-and-coming area or someone who wants to stay long-term, but a lot of the homes that I've seen require a lot of work and are surrounded by homes that don't seem to be kept up well. Now before anyone says that I'm racist, or that I hate poor people, my whole issue is that I would be afraid that I wouldn't be able to sell my home if my circumstances suddenly changed and I had to move within a few years because potential buyers would be put off by a nicely kept house in the middle of a neighborhood that doesn't seem as nicely kept up. It's a personal decision and one that you would have to make -- so check it out, but consider some of these reasons, and most importantly, keep an open mind.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:39 PM

18 posts, read 48,113 times
There are good areas to purchase homes to the west, south of Colfax, or east of I-225. It all depends on your price point, and how old a home you want. There are pockets of not so nice areas as well, so you do have to be somewhat careful. What price range will you be looking in?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM

I am befuddled. How can you say with such certainty that there are "not so nice" and "good" areas?

Nice or not, is subjective and is not your place as a licensee to declare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver