Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 23,232 times

Advertisements

My Fiance' and I currently own a house in North Las Vegas and are Planning on moving to a suburb in Colorado in 2 years 2013 to raise a family.( we have 3 dogs and will have a 1 year old by then) I'm a certified Pharmacy Technician and my Fiance's a customer service Rep at the Water district. Currently we make an annual income of about $88k.Our current house will not be sold but instead rented out so we will have extra income.

We love the outdoors and want a great school district for our future kids with a lot of land on a existing property or building a new home on some land. We would love a friendly neighborhood great school district safe to live lots of land budget friendly and a fairly close commute to the city no more than 30 minutes.

Please let me know if there's such a place I really appreciate your advice thank you so much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
I think the Eastern areas are the only place where you'll find lots of land at a reasonable price. When you say "the city" I assume you mean Denver?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 23,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I think the Eastern areas are the only place where you'll find lots of land at a reasonable price. When you say "the city" I assume you mean Denver?
Sorry, Yes I mean Denver

I was looking at Cherry Creek Highlands Ranch and Littleton ..Are those any good?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedpenguin View Post
Sorry, Yes I mean Denver

I was looking at Cherry Creek Highlands Ranch and Littleton ..Are those any good?
search the Denver forum. Highlands Ranch doesn't have "land" to build on. It is mostly small lots and basically all tract home unless you can spend a million or 2. What is your price range? Littleton is a neat town with mostly older homes. There is the city of Littleton in Arapahoe County, Unincorporated Jefferson County w/ Littleton Addresses, and also some Littleton addresses in Douglas County. It is confusing. I don't know much about the Cherry Creek area. Do you mean the CC school district?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 PM

34 posts, read 108,990 times
Quote:
Sorry, Yes I mean Denver

What you are looking for doesn't exist in this area. Yes you can find nice neighborhoods with a great school district but you won't find land. Based on your income I would say your price point would be $235k or less on a house (please correct me if I am wrong) and there isn't much you can get in the southern Denver metro area for that.
My suggestion, look north east. Land is easier to come by in areas like Greeley, Brighton, Firestone & Frederick.
If you can sacriface the need for land, you might look at North Denver metro like Thornton and Northglenn. These areas are still close to Denver but cheaper than Highlands Ranch.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 42,506 times
If I can add our 2 cents, we are recent transplants from California (Palm Springs) and moved here n July 2009. Moved to SE Aurora, next to Parker.

Check out Homes.com - Real Estate and Homes For Sale. the rental section, type zip code 80016.
Also try Craigs List SE Aurora.

Communities I have lived in and can recommend for starters: Tallyn's Reach (A Carma Development - First Time Starter Homes to Custom Homes) and Tollgate Crossings (DR Horton Homes) Most communities have HOA Clubhouse with pools, tennis, parks walkways. I have had deer in my backyard, fox, rabbits and coyote. Birds too.

We have a child in middle school and selected this area for the great Cherry Creek School District. Development and its boom growth 2005-2007 offers new schools, k-12, all schools are 2-4 years new and not even fully occupied. We are renting a 2000 sqft house w 1000 sqft finished basement for $2000K month. New homes in the area mid $200+ and are in HOA communities. You don't have to go far with the Southlands mall from Sam's Club to Victoria Secret, they have all you might need with Denver 30 min away.

We are getting use to the people here in Colorado, very nice all and all. Prepare for a lifestyle change, it will be less glamorous than Vegas, however a better qualtiy of life. We are planning on renting for the next 2 years we think the RE market will take a bigger dip and take advantage of something awesome. Good Luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 AM

291 posts, read 911,735 times
Forget the land idea. You can get what you want but you'll be way beyond your 30 minute drive and won't have a "neighborhood feel". Homes on the eastern plains are on acreage, but they are spreas out and mostly consist of people who don't like cities and want to do their own thing, which may entail having a junky home, run down out buildings, or lots of vehicles sitting around. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people who live in these areas that take very good care of their homes, but there's a mixture and no continuity in the feel of the neighborhood. You won't be talking over the fence with your neighbor as they won't be that close. What you think you want will cost you big time. That's just the way the land use is here.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
My Fiance' and I currently own a house in North Las Vegas and are Planning on moving to a suburb in Colorado in 2 years 2013 to raise a family.( we have 3 dogs and will have a 1 year old by then) I'm a certified Pharmacy Technician and my Fiance's a customer service Rep at the Water district. Currently we make an annual income of about $88k.Our current house will not be sold but instead rented out so we will have extra income.

We love the outdoors and want a great school district for our future kids with a lot of land on a existing property or building a new home on some land. We would love a friendly neighborhood great school district safe to live lots of land budget friendly and a fairly close commute to the city no more than 30 minutes.

Please let me know if there's such a place I really appreciate your advice thank you so much !
First: What do you mean by 'a suburb of Colorado'? Colorado is a state with at least three cities large enough to have their own suburbs. Which of these metros are you thinking of?

Second: If you won't be moving here until 2 years from now, how do you know you will have a 1 year old by then? (really just curious about that one...)

Third: Know that $88k/year isn't really that much by CO standards. It should be enough to get you into something decent in the suburbs but definitely not enough to buy front-range acreage and then build a custom home on it. But if you have a large lump sum of cash on hand, and wish to spend it that way, there are several areas between Denver and COS where that is possible, and probably even more around Pueblo. (btw if you're even thinking of Pueblo, talk to Josseppie and he will tell you anything you want to know. Just take it with a grain of salt because he definitely sees that place through rose-colored glasses.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 PM

305 posts, read 770,441 times
Second: If you won't be moving here until 2 years from now, how do you know you will have a 1 year old by then? (really just curious about that one...)

Lol! I had the exact same question. You know what they say about the best laid plans . . .

Unfortunately, the land situation in the Denver Metro isn't ideal, IMHO. Most homes are situated on small lots with tiny yards, and finding a half acre or more in a low to moderate price range is very rare. I know, because I would love a picturesque acre to live on myself but haven't found one yet that I can afford.

There are a few pockets in SE Aurora where the neighborhoods are more spread out and have more of a country feel, but generally those houses will run at least $400,000.

If you can swing it, renting out your home in Las Vegas instead of selling it is a great choice. The market there is so decimated that home values have dropped about 50% in the past couple of years, but I'm sure you already know that. My mom lives in Summerlin and it's depressing to experience such a plunge in equity, but if you can ride out the slump things should pick up in a few years. Lots of luck and may all your hopes and dreams materialize! : )

Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM

94 posts, read 245,806 times
Quote:
What you are looking for doesn't exist in this area. Yes you can find nice neighborhoods with a great school district but you won't find land.
Well there are some larger lots with horses east of Chambers out near Buckley Air Force Base that are not all that expensive. That is about it though if the 30 minute criteria remains. I'm kind of surprised it exists and am also surprised no one ever mentions the area.

Otherwise there are plenty of great areas all around the metro area from Louisville in the north to Castle Pines in the south but many of them again fall outside of that 30 minutes to the city of Denver.

You might also find what you are looking for in Denver itself. A price range would help people here settle the matter much quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver